Bucket Hooks

/ Bucket Hooks #1  

tofriendscreek

Tractor
John Deere 2320
I found a set of bucket hooks on clearance ($4 each - regularly $13.99) that are just perfect for my needs. I intend to bolt them onto the bucket at the point where the hydralic arms of my 200CX attach to it. I also cut some flat iron to use as backer plates on the inside of the bucket for added strength.

Now my issue. I am having a terrible time drilling holes in the flat iron. I have sharp bits, kept the area surrounded with oil and started with a 1/4" hole (which was easy, then a 3/8" one (noticeably more difficult) and want to finish with the needed 1/2" ... but I am at a loss as to why I can't drill through this stuff.

I have spent way too much time messing with a chore that should have been accomplished in a half hour or so. It has me scared silly about trying to drill the holes in the bucket.

What is the magic in drilling all these holes? Thanks.

/ Bucket Hooks #2  
What is the magic in drilling all these holes? Thanks.

Good, sharp bits.
Oil
Drill press
Slow speed

You said "flat iron" plates, what exactly are they made from? The bucket is just plain mild steel that's very easy to drill through. It's also possible you heated the "iron plates" enough to work-harden them and that's whats giving you trouble now, you may need to anneal them.

/ Bucket Hooks #3  
You could weld them on.

Last edited:
   / Bucket Hooks #4  
tofriendscreek,

You might try using a step drill bit. I find it a lot easier to drill big holes in thick metal by drilling a 1/4 inch pilot hole and following up with a step drill. You can get them at Harbor Freight fairly cheap. The concept looks kind of unsophisticated, but it works.

I also like the welding idea.

Best of luck.

/ Bucket Hooks #5  
I kept running into similar issues, trying to drill through thicker steel with relatively larger holes. In my case it turned out that my 30+ year old Craftsman drill press didn't have enough power, even with the belt moved to the slowest speed pulley, to work. If I couldn't apply enough constant downward pressure, rather than cutting through the steel, even my most expensive bits would smoke and be dulled. They are made to cut a constant sliver of metal from what you're drilling as it goes through. When it just spins on the metal without cutting for more than a few seconds, it just dulls your bit.

I bought a "damaged" (had a dent in the cover) floor model Hitachi drill press at either Lowes or Home Depot that was their strongest model for something like $150. Man, what a difference!! I was able to apply a decent amount of constant pressure and my bits would cut through metal that my old drill press would only leave a dent, literally, in. I'm not talking about bearing down with all your strength, but with a decent amount of pressure. That amount of pressure would stop my old Craftsman drill press so I wasn't able to apply enough pressure to cut the hole. Good luck.

/ Bucket Hooks #6  
I would use a small cnc type bit for a starter hole and finish up with the step drill. I have a 1 hp drill press which would do the job but not convienient for drilling the bucket. They do make portable magnetic based drill presses for this kind of work (Bux comes to mind) but kind of pricey.

I welded my hooks on which is a much easier way to go.

For larger holes requiring the use of hand drills I have had good success with hole saws drilling up to 3/4" metal and using a 1/8" cnc bit for the pilot. Keeping everything oiled and turning slow is very important. The 3/4" and 7/8" hole saws work well to drill holes thru thick bar stock for implements since you are removing a fraction of the metal compared to a twist drill.

Steve

Steve

/ Bucket Hooks #7  
This is a good excuse to buy a welder. Just do it. You won't regret it.

/ Bucket Hooks
THANKS for all the advice.

I finally got the holes drilled. I decided not to use oil. I also learned that my smaller Craftsman drill press didn't "cut it" with enough power. Went and used the neighbor's BIG drill press with sharpened bits and it cut through the flat stock rather easily. Drilling through the bucket was not as difficult as I thought it would be.

On both, I used the step method for drilling the holes. Started with a 1/4", then 3/8" and finished with the 1/2".

I put the hooks on last Sunday and decided to install some heavy 'D' rings in the center of the bucket. Didn't have to drill the brackets. Put one on the top and one on the underneath side of the bucket. Used them Sunday afternoon to pull a bunch of metal fence posts. What a joy. Should have taken some pics cause ya'll like them so much. Took the FEL off to mow ... but it will be on again this weekend.