John Deere 4120 buying/pricing opinions?

/ John Deere 4120 buying/pricing opinions? #1  

USMC2531

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4120
Hello,

This forum as been very helpful and I would like to ask for opinions one more time in regards to pricing before I "pull the trigger" on this package.

After much research and "squeezing" dealers as much as one can here is where I am in pursuit of that perfect tractor...lolo

John Deere 4120, ehydro, R4's (filled), delux hood guard
400X loader with 73" heavy duty bucket with cutting edge
485 Backhoe with 18" bucket
60" Frontier grapple bucket
673 John Deere Tiller
MX6 John Deere Bush Hog

$42,650 out the door with free delivery? Good/bad/fair price?

Thanks,
Steve

/ John Deere 4120 buying/pricing opinions? #2  
I say it frequently. Get the JD skid steer attachment carrier. (Should be standard but JD is still holding on to their proprietary system.) Then get the JD skid steer 72" foundry bucket. Same approximate size and still slightly less in cost. The foundry bucket is much more HD than the CUT HD bucket. The weight is about 150-200 lbs more with the skid steer bucket. Yes, it will decrease lift capacity somewhat, but the FEL will easily lift anything you put in the bucket. Drop the Frontier grapple if you get the skid steer attachment. Now you can get a grapple from anyone you desire since the JD is now skid steer compatible. You will probably get a better and cheaper grapple. Later you will want pallet forks and you will be stuck with expensive JD pallet forks rather than any manufacturers pallet forks which again will be much cheaper.
I would pass on the cutting edge unless you put on a lot of loader hours or running on cement. I think it is really rare to wear out a bucket edge on a CUT. Never seen one worn out on a CUT. Skid steer is a different story. You can always get a cutting edge latter if needed. I would choose a tooth bar long before a cutting edge.
If you are getting the grapple, do you have the rear hydraulic remote? I assume yes. Do you have hoses or lines to the front to run the grapple? JD has a nice auxillary hydraulic line kit for the FEL.
The MX6 is a great choice for the mower. More expensive than many, but still a great choice.
IMO, the JD tiller is probably overpriced but a very good unit. Never hear any problems about their tillers. King Kutter is bargain priced and good unit. Probably 1/2 the price of JD.

/ John Deere 4120 buying/pricing opinions?
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The kind of information I like. If I'm looking inthe right place looks like a 6ft King Kutter Tiller goes for about $2099.00 + shipping. My JD tiller is priced at $2860.00 so looks like I could save a few bucks if the KK shipping isn't too bad.

~S

I say it frequently. Get the JD skid steer attachment carrier. (Should be standard but JD is still holding on to their proprietary system.) Then get the JD skid steer 72" foundry bucket. Same approximate size and still slightly less in cost. The foundry bucket is much more HD than the CUT HD bucket. The weight is about 150-200 lbs more with the skid steer bucket. Yes, it will decrease lift capacity somewhat, but the FEL will easily lift anything you put in the bucket. Drop the Frontier grapple if you get the skid steer attachment. Now you can get a grapple from anyone you desire since the JD is now skid steer compatible. You will probably get a better and cheaper grapple. Later you will want pallet forks and you will be stuck with expensive JD pallet forks rather than any manufacturers pallet forks which again will be much cheaper.
I would pass on the cutting edge unless you put on a lot of loader hours or running on cement. I think it is really rare to wear out a bucket edge on a CUT. Never seen one worn out on a CUT. Skid steer is a different story. You can always get a cutting edge latter if needed. I would choose a tooth bar long before a cutting edge.
If you are getting the grapple, do you have the rear hydraulic remote? I assume yes. Do you have hoses or lines to the front to run the grapple? JD has a nice auxillary hydraulic line kit for the FEL.
The MX6 is a great choice for the mower. More expensive than many, but still a great choice.
IMO, the JD tiller is probably overpriced but a very good unit. Never hear any problems about their tillers. King Kutter is bargain priced and good unit. Probably 1/2 the price of JD.

/ John Deere 4120 buying/pricing opinions? #4  
The price of the KK tillers have gone up since I bought mine for $1300 several years ago. TSC web sites shows them for $1999. There should be no shipping if bought from farm store. They can have one shipped in for no cost. Not infrequently, TSC will have a 10% discount coupon (up to $100) or sales on the tillers.

/ John Deere 4120 buying/pricing opinions? #5  
Radman
Do you(or anyone else) know if the KK tillers are Imatch compatible??

I have a 665 JD tiller and it does a fine job but it did cost!!

/ John Deere 4120 buying/pricing opinions? #6  
Radman
Do you(or anyone else) know if the KK tillers are Imatch compatible??

I have a 665 JD tiller and it does a fine job but it did cost!!

I cannot use my spee co quick hitch on my KK tiller. The pins on the tiller are too close to the frame of the tiller. This won't allow the hooks to get under/behind the pins. You will have the same problem. It is the only attachment that can't use with my spee co quick hitch. I never tried to see if the top hook was compatible since the bottom didn't work.
On a side note, I do not like the JD quick hitch. The top hook is welded and in a fixed position. My speeco and nearly every other company with similar design has an adjustable hook on the top and have an additional adapter on top that can be used if the hook doesnt fit. There is no way to use the adapter on a JD quick hitch. JD quick hitch works great with JD attachments. Beyond that there are too many problems with other attachments. The other quick hitches give me some flexibilty.

/ John Deere 4120 buying/pricing opinions? #7  
USMC,
After reading your post you may want to consider a !!0tlb, it has very similar specs but a fixed loader with skidsteer front end. The backhoe is very good yet easy to remove and the ability to move the tractor around from the rear seat is very important.

Steve

/ John Deere 4120 buying/pricing opinions? #8  
I have no problem with the JD detach system. I skip the JD tiller and go with one from agrisupply. Also you can save a fair amount on a AM grapple. Get the factory installed lineset for the fel. Also, where the forks? They come in real handy.

/ John Deere 4120 buying/pricing opinions? #9  
USMC,

Steve let me clarify things to say that having a 110tlb with auxillary hydraulics both front and rear with the diverter valve and top and tilt makes this a very versatile tractor. I have an MX6 and a 673 tiller that I have used with the 110 with no problems and have the hd 73" bucket, 48" rail pallet forks and a RC 66 rock bucket to use on the front end. I have rented a planetary auger (a Bobcat if I remember correctly) and it worked okay but turned slower than I like since it is designed for high flow hydraulics. No issues with hookup though everything matched up.

The backhoe section on the 110 is very good and is enough of an improvement to justify that you give it consideration. Tractor hp is the same for both units at 43 as I recall.

I now have a 4520 cab tractor for 3 pt work but the 110 tlb works great as a stand alone unit.

Steve

/ John Deere 4120 buying/pricing opinions? #10  
Hello,

This forum as been very helpful and I would like to ask for opinions one more time in regards to pricing before I "pull the trigger" on this package.

After much research and "squeezing" dealers as much as one can here is where I am in pursuit of that perfect tractor...lolo

John Deere 4120, ehydro, R4's (filled), delux hood guard
400X loader with 73" heavy duty bucket with cutting edge
485 Backhoe with 18" bucket
60" Frontier grapple bucket
673 John Deere Tiller
MX6 John Deere Bush Hog

$42,650 out the door with free delivery? Good/bad/fair price?

Thanks,
Steve

The 4120 is a very nice machine.

I would consider a tooth bar also.
Extendable draft links
Get all the lights you can get on it.
What are you going to have your tires filled with?
Might consider the cruise control.
On the MX-6 - make sure they don't downgrade it - get the chain guards and slip clutch.

Look at the finish on the KK vs. John Deere. It sure seems like the KK will start rusting away in a hurry in comparison to the paint quality on the JD. I see you are USMC - so I bet you are picky on keeping your gear in tip top condition.

All the other things like power beyond, rear valve, hard plumbing for the front grapple.

If I had to do it over -I would go with the skid steer carrier.

GL,
D.