john deere 5103???

/ john deere 5103??? #1  

chrisdvorak

Gold Member
Tractor
too many
I am looking at a john deere 5103 2 wheel drive with loader and just wondering if anyone has any comments on this tractor? i will be using it on my small farm and will be doing a lot of loader work, is the machine good for loader work? i have a hydrostatic 20hp tractor and like it but i am not against going a different route, any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.:)

/ john deere 5103??? #2  
Chris

I just bought a 5103 mfwd in june of this year and its got 60 hrs on it so far. I love the tractor but if you have the money get the mfwd and a 553 loader if you can. The 522 loader that comes on that model is way to small to pickup anything real heavy. I dont know what kind of loader work you're gonna be doing but go with the heavier one if you can. I have had a couple of issues with mine , the dash quit working so the put in a new one and the steering cylinder bolts came loose but other than that its a great tractor.

/ john deere 5103??? #3  
2WDs in general do not make great loaders tractors. If your ground is dry, terrain not too rough and hills are not an issue, then 2wd is ok. Yes, 2WD can do a lot of work and lots of old farm tractors were 2WD but MFWD has so many more advantages in the same hp tractor. Get a heavy load on 2WD loader and can't back up a hill, can't go through mud or small ditches.

/ john deere 5103???
The only reason i was thinking 2 wheel drive would be the price difference and i do not have much mud or hills on my farm, how much more would i have to pay for a 553 loader? i am going to be moving dirt, mulch, rock, and a round-bale here and there.

/ john deere 5103??? #5  
I think the hit in resale value would also be big in a 2WD with FEL compared to same size MFWD and FEL. Few buyers for 2WD with loader. If the tractor was only being used for mowing, pulling trailer etc, then maybe I could see a 2WD. Since you stated you will be doing a lot of loader work, I think you will ultimately wish you had MFWD.

/ john deere 5103???
thanks for the response and i guess ill save up for the 4wd:rolleyes:

/ john deere 5103??? #7  
thanks for the response and i guess ill save up for the 4wd:rolleyes:

I know it seems like more money but you will be better off with the MFWD, better off than finding out you need it and have to upgrade later. This is a common mistake to make, most people don't need the 4x4 in their vehicles much but it is used often in tractor work.

Enjoy your new tractor.

Steve

/ john deere 5103??? #8  
My brother has a 5103 with a loader that he uses on his beef farm which is pretty hilly. It works just fine.

/ john deere 5103??? #9  
A lot of advice has been offered on this site in regards to 2wd vs 4wd. I had the same questions when I was looking for my tractor and with the advice from everyone on this site I went with the 4WD. I am sure glad I did. I had tried to do FEL work in both 2wd and 4wd just to see the difference. No comparison. You can get so much more accomplished with the 4wd in less time.

/ john deere 5103??? #10  
Well, the 2 vs 4 wheel drive is an ongoing argument, both sides with good points. It is more money but if your terrain is such that you are better off with it, then I can see it. I am on very, flat, I mean flat azz ground so 2WD is fine with me.

In trying to make this decision, I would be more inclined to put my extra money in the 5203 as opposed to the 5103. You will get 11 more HP on the motor (56hp)and at least 9 more (48 hp) on the PTO.