Snow bucket for 110 tlb?

/ Snow bucket for 110 tlb? #1  

ME83

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
I am looking for any experience with what size bucket the 110 tlb will handle. Doing some quick calculations, it appears as though I could use up to a 1.5 yrd bucket for moving snow. This seems to me rather large for the tractor, but I also don't want to cut myself short since I would be spending the money for a bigger bucket. The stock bucket is about 5/8 yrd heaped, for comparison.

Last year I ended up moving snow piles towards the end of the year, when they were half frozen and I needed to used the backhoe to break them apart. Even then, I had huge frozen sections that hung several feet out of the bucket and it handled them without hesitation.

/ Snow bucket for 110 tlb? #2  
Well water is about 7 times denser than snow and rock and dirt are about 3 times heavier than water so considering you will have some ice mixed in and some compaction to figure in how about cutting this figure down to 10 to 1. I would think that the bucket weight would be the discerning issue. I don't have to deal with snow very often but it would seem a light materials bucket with a long lip and skidsteer mount would be the ticket.

steve

/ Snow bucket for 110 tlb? #3  
Snow will range from 15- to 50-lbs./cubic foot. I like to figure 50 lbs./cubic foot for the northeastern USA since we get such heavy slushy snow.

Your 110 has a lift capacity of 2,042 lbs. according to my data. So figure a bigger bucket will weigh about 100-lbs. more than your current bucket. So you have 1,942 divided by 50 lbs. which is 38.84 cubic feet your loader could handle. Divide 38.84 by 27 cu. ft. per cubic yard which is 1.44 cubic yards by my calculations. So, I would say that your estimate of 1.5 yd. bucket is right in the ballpark. Good job!

The question I would want to ask is how wide a bucket can you use? I would want to keep it 84-inches or under so it doesn't get too clumsy.

Just remember that the wider your bucket is, the more likely you are to catch a solid hidden object with it and twist the loader frame with the greater leverage of the wider bucket. Also, a wider bucket will require more traction to push when full of snow.

/ Snow bucket for 110 tlb? #4  
Just remember that the wider your bucket is, the more likely you are to catch a solid hidden object with it and twist the loader frame with the greater leverage of the wider bucket. Also, a wider bucket will require more traction to push when full of snow.

Both very good points....
IMO a Blade is 50x better for snow clearing then a bucket...not even close. Only application for a snow bucket would be to load trucks for haul out.

I'd be looking for a snow pusher or something...

I have a 90" Fisher on the front of my 3520, no problem pushing it.

/ Snow bucket for 110 tlb?
I already have an older chevy plow truck and just recently picked up a 9ft snow pusher that I need to weld a ss qa to. I was looking at the snow bucket to move the large snow piles (big parking lot at my horse barn) and to move the shavings/manure piles when they build up. I had calculated the volumes based on density also but a 1.5 yrd bucket seems large for the tractor. Thank you for your inputs.

/ Snow bucket for 110 tlb? #6  
I have a HLA 66" High volume Skidsteer bucket that I will sell ya for $750.00 plus shipping.
Here's the specs..
Inside width 66" add 1-1/4 for outside width
Struck cap. cu. ft. 24.5
Heaped cap. cu. ft. 26.8
Approx. weight 800lbs

/ Snow bucket for 110 tlb?
I have a HLA 66" High volume Skidsteer bucket that I will sell ya for $750.00 plus shipping.
Here's the specs..
Inside width 66" add 1-1/4 for outside width
Struck cap. cu. ft. 24.5
Heaped cap. cu. ft. 26.8
Approx. weight 800lbs

The stock bucket is 72" and I am adding rear wheel spacers for tire chain clearance. I will be looking for 84" wide to cover my tracks and around 1.5 yrd capacity, thank you though.

/ Snow bucket for 110 tlb? #8  
I move more snow than I want... and more than I like to think about - and that's with a 72" front bucket and a 84" rear blade. (There's a reason that lot's of folk's move south for 3-4 months each year!!! :mad:)

I've been looking at a SS front mounted hyd blower (Bobcat) for my 110.

If you're moving so much snow that a 1.5 yard bucket seems to make sense... Why not REALLY get serious? ;)

AKfish

/ Snow bucket for 110 tlb? #9  
IMO a Blade is 50x better for snow clearing then a bucket...not even close. Only application for a snow bucket would be to load trucks for haul out.

Agree, a tractor equipped with a pusher-puller blade -also called a reversible bucket even though it's not a bucket per se- and a blower will do a better, faster job than using a snow bucket. Snow buckets are oversized buckets designed for loading or transporting snow, not clearing. Pushing snow with such a bucket is usually inefficient because the tractor usually starts skidding long before the bucket is full unless it's very fluffy stuff. Also due to their size snow buckets hamper vision and are a greater risk of causing damage.

I now load snow into trucks or trailers using the blower instead of a bucket. It's tricky but once you get the hang of it it's quite efficient. However sometimes a bucket is really required and that's when Quick-Attach comes in handy. Switching from blade to bucket takes less than five minutes and I only need to do it about once a week on average.