Dealer My JD dealer experience

/ My JD dealer experience #1  

OCD

Tractor
JD3720
experience with dealer and shopping

I really debated whether I wanted to post my expierences recently with shopping for a used CUT. But enough red flags have come up and I think it is worthwhile to warn others. Especially buyers in the southeast. Sorry it is kinda long winded. Also, left names out intentionally.

First, I have been browsing the used CUT market in my area (southeast) from over a year and been reading on this site for over a year. Recent good threads that come to mind reading this are the "is a JD PO a binding contract" and other dealer experience posts, both good and bad. Where I am located there are only JD, NH, Kubota, Mahindra in my county. Travel a 50 miles south and can get the same and most of the other "second tier". Looked at all of them, and ending up getting a used JD from a local private seller for a reasonable deal. Not a steal, but I think a fair price.

FIRST and SECOND red flags
I had a recurring bad encounters with one of the megadealers on several occasions. First was last summer I saw a used 2008 JD CUT that looked great to me. Waited too long and it got sold. Soon after, I noted the EXACT same CUT on another one of that dealers lots 400 mi up in Georgia along with another listing of the EXACT same tractor, but now with a loader and 40 more hours, the two machines even the had same SN# posted on machinefinder. I called the dealer in GA to ask about the 2 machines, you know "to get more info". I was told BOTH were in great condition and had been SINGLE owner machines. That greatly aggrevated me, as I knew there were not 2 machines to begin with and that it was not a single owner machine. I did not even ask if it was a single owner machine, that info was just volunteered. I mainly wanted to know why they had it, sold it, then reaquired it few weeks later now with a loader and 40 more hours. That is, was something wrong with it. Seemed like they did not know their inventory well. I called the internet rep to get the scoop, and he straightened it out some as far as how the machine got from FL to GA and traded back in after brief use for a larger model. I was ready to buy at this point, but still wanted more info. Went to my local dealer who tried to sell me what he wanted to sell and not what I wanted to buy. I was ready to deal on the machine on their GA lot. I told him the story of what was up there and he seemed doubtful, so I brought in the listings I had printed out on the machine from its different locations and stock # and sn#. He spent a good amount of time just trying to get their database to recognize them, one still apparently may have never existed. He placed a call to GA to look at arranging a transfer, but guy did not call back after about 30 minutes of waiting. Told him to call once they figured things out. While I was there he tried to sell me a used 3320 that luckily just got "released" to be sold from a foreclosed estate a few weeks prior. I had been seeing that machine listed on their site for about a year, released to be sold in the past few weeks, my ***. I was not even asking about that machine, but was still told its "story" or at least a "story" about it.

LAST red flag
As I mentioned, I bought my tractor last week. I was browsing tractorhouse last night, just wanting to see what I missed to aggrevate myself and up popped MY tractor listed for sale by that same dealer. Not a look a like, it is MY tractor, in the field where I tested it out. I know the guy I was buying from was looking to trade if he did not sell it, so maybe they posted it a little prematurely. I would not agree with posting that which you think you may be getting until you have it to sell. Seems to fall along the lines of false advertising. But anyways, for fun I emailed through tractorhouse last night and said I want to come look at it. They replied this am to let them know when is a good time for me to come look at it. I replied tomorrow afternoon. They replied "they just sold that tractor this moring, but traded it in on another...." Sold it this morning, my ***. That tractor was sold last week and never on their lot.

I have come to the conclusion that this dealership is either really ignorant in regards to their inventory, has very poor communications between lots, or does not like to tell potential custormers the truth about their products. I have my vote and it may be more than one of the above.

I am happy, I got my tractor and know the history of it. Was telling a business partner who has been amused through my whole search process about this and he asked me today if I plan on taking it there to get serviced, relaying his concern with getting what you are being told you are getting. I could not agree with him more.

This is not a rant against all dealers,just my experience with one. I had plenty of neutral and positive experiences shopping, too. But, honesty and integrity seems to be fading from more and more businesses.

/ My JD dealer experience
I really debated whether I wanted to post my expierences recently with shopping for a used CUT. But enough red flags have come up and I think it is worthwhile to warn others. Especially buyers in the southeast. Sorry it is kinda long winded. Also, left names out intentionally.

First, I have been browsing the used CUT market in my area (southeast) from over a year and been reading on this site for over a year. Recent good threads that come to mind reading this are the "is a JD PO a binding contract" and other dealer experience posts, both good and bad. Where I am located there are only JD, NH, Kubota, Mahindra in my county. Travel 50 miles south and can get the same and most of the other "second tier". Looked at all of them, and ending up getting a used JD from a local private seller for a reasonable deal. Not a steal, but I think a fair price.

FIRST and SECOND red flags
I had a recurring bad encounters with one of the megadealers on several occasions. First was last summer I saw a used 2008 JD CUT that looked great to me. Waited too long and it got sold. Soon after, I noted the EXACT same CUT on another one of that dealers lots 400 mi up in Georgia along with another listing of the EXACT same tractor, but now with a loader and 40 more hours, the two machines even the had same SN# posted on machinefinder. I called the dealer in GA to ask about the 2 machines, you know "to get more info". I was told BOTH were in great condition and had been SINGLE owner machines. That greatly aggrevated me, as I knew there were not 2 machines to begin with and that it was not a single owner machine. I did not even ask if it was a single owner machine, that info was just volunteered. I mainly wanted to know why they had it, sold it, then reaquired it few weeks later now with a loader and 40 more hours. That is, was something wrong with it. Seemed like they did not know their inventory well. I called the internet rep to get the scoop, and he straightened it out some as far as how the machine got from FL to GA and traded back in after brief use for a larger model. I was ready to buy at this point, but still wanted more info. Went to my local dealer who tried to sell me what he wanted to sell and not what I wanted to buy. I was ready to deal on the machine on their GA lot. I told him the story of what was up there and he seemed doubtful, so I brought in the listings I had printed out on the machine from its different locations and stock # and sn#. He spent a good amount of time just trying to get their database to recognize them, one still apparently may have never existed. He placed a call to GA to look at arranging a transfer, but guy did not call back after about 30 minutes of waiting. Told him to call once they figured things out. While I was there he tried to sell me a used 3320 that luckily just got "released" to be sold from a foreclosed estate a few weeks prior. I had been seeing that machine listed on their site for about a year, released to be sold in the past few weeks, my ***. I was not even asking about that machine, but was still told its "story" or at least a "story" about it.

LAST red flag
As I mentioned, I bought my tractor last week from a private seller. I was browsing tractorhouse last night, just wanting to see what I missed to aggrevate myself and up popped MY tractor listed for sale by that same dealer. Not a look a like, it is MY tractor, in the field where I tested it out. I know the guy I was buying from was looking to trade if he did not sell it, so maybe they posted it a little prematurely. I would not agree with posting that which you think you may be getting until you have it to sell. Seems to fall along the lines of false advertising. But anyways, for fun I emailed through tractorhouse last night and said I want to come look at it. They replied this am to let them know when is a good time for me to come look at it. I replied tomorrow afternoon. They replied "they just sold that tractor this morning, but traded it in on another....". Sold it this morning, my ***. That tractor was sold last week and was never on their lot.

I have come to the conclusion that this dealership is either really ignorant in regards to their inventory, has very poor communications between lots, or does not like to tell potential custormers the truth about their products. I have my vote and it may be more than one of the above.

I am happy, I got my tractor and know the history of it. Was telling a business partner who has been amused through my whole search process about this and he asked me today if I plan on taking it there to get serviced, relaying his concern with getting what you are being told you are getting. I could not agree with him more. I am glad I got green and happy there is another dealer in my area. Partner advised me to contact JD HQ and summarize all that happened, he thinks they would want to know about things like this.

This is not a rant against all dealers,just my experience with one. I had plenty of neutral and positive experiences shopping, too. But, honesty and integrity seems to be fading from more and more businesses.

Last edited:
   / My JD dealer experience #3  
Re: experience with dealer and shopping

Sometimes a sales person is his own worst enemy... sad, but often very true.

/ My JD dealer experience #4  

If I were you I'd keep that tractor locked up tight, or they may sell it again.

/ My JD dealer experience #5  
WOW,

Makes one appreciate the fact that I have a great dealer who honestly cares abt their customers. I live 25km from the dealer and any troubles they p/u my machine for free and drop off. I try different attachments they will bring in from other locations for me to try (had one item for a month waiting for the weather to clear). Good to hear you found what you were looking for at a decent price though. Good luck with the other dealer in any of your future endeavours..

/ My JD dealer experience #6  

I sent you a PM to clear the air and let you in on what ACTUALLY happened.

/ My JD dealer experience #7  
I have sent you a PM to let you know what ACTUALLY happened. Good luck with your new Deere!

/ My JD dealer experience #8  
And from the dealers side of these issues, the story may look a bit different as to why. But know it is not fun to be disappointed in any deal, be it with a private person or with a dealer.
I know ads have to be laid up for print long before they come out, and your dealer may have been convinced "your" tractor would be on their list. It wasn't, so don't see a big deal.
Be happy. :)

/ My JD dealer experience #9  
OCD, I think you should be bringing all the documentation you have to the attention of the Attorney General in the state where it occurred or where they are located. Since it occured across state lines it may even involve the feds.

/ My JD dealer experience #10  
OCD, I think you should be bringing all the documentation you have to the attention of the Attorney General in the state where it occurred or where they are located. Since it occured across state lines it may even involve the feds.

What exactly was illegal here?