Buying Advice Advice on 2320 purchase for mowing and snow removal

/ Advice on 2320 purchase for mowing and snow removal #1  

JJKJ

Bronze Member
Hello all, I've been hanging out reading and researching my next purchase. I think I have things narrowed down a bit but have some questions.

I recently moved from a home with just under an acre to an acreage with a bit over 8 acres. I will mow about 2.5 acres of the land and the rest will be hay that will be cut and bailed by a buyer. I have about 500' of total driveway to clear of snow. The property is pretty open so snow drifting will occur regularly. The driveway surface is similar to sealcoat. It is a asphalt base with pebble cover. It isn't as difficult as gravel to clear but is much more challenging than a smooth surface.

We just had our first major snow here in IA. I have a 2008 X500 with the 44" blower. I spent too many hours clearing snow over the last week. I also think the X500 would do ok with mowing, but I'd like a faster mow than the 54" deck. I also have one fairly steep hill to mow.

After research on a X748, 2305 and 2320; I think I'm most interested in the 2320. For mowing I'm looking at the 62" MMM. My questions are regarding snow removal. The dealer suggested configuring the tractor with a FEL and rear mount blade. The idea is to use the rear mount blade for most clearing and use the FEL to move drifts and snow piles. However, I spoke with my Dad who has experience clearing snow with a FEL and he thinks I would get frustrated with snow packing into the bucket. I know what he's referring to as I had a heck of a time shoveling my walkways this week as the snow stuck to the shovel more than you'd think. My Dad's suggestion is to configure the tractor with a front blade and rear blower. The blade would do the work 90% of the time and if I got to a large drift or needed to move a snow pile, I can use the blower. I did see a tractor with that configuration in the JD implement catalog and it seemed to make sense. My dealer also told me the rear blower is much cheaper than a front blower.

I guess I'm really looking for additional advice on the best configuration. I know from reading many posts here, there is great appreciation for a FEL. I know I could find reasons to use one other than moving snow, but right now I think I'd rather spend extra cash on a cab.

Lastly, what tires would be the most appropriate for my use?

Anything I'm missing or should reconsider?

Thanks,

John

/ Advice on 2320 purchase for mowing and snow removal #2  
I am certainly no expert on snow removal but from what I have read here the rear mounted blower with front blade is a good way to go. Maybe othere can tell you more about changing from fel to blade as I recall this takes some doing.

If you purchased 8 acres to keep long term then I would consider a small cabbed tractor, the 3520 cab unit comes to mind. It seems no one regrets buying a cab tractor but lots of people regret buying an open station unit. It is far cheaper to get it right the first time than upgrading at a later date.

/ Advice on 2320 purchase for mowing and snow removal #3  
I think it depends on how much snow you need to move. Where I live in western NC, we do not get too much snow, but we get some, and frequently get some fairly decent snowfalls because it gets pretty cold where I live and it tends to be a moist microclimate. I have tried several different types of snow moving equipment. I agree in a tractor-mounted application the ultimate set up is a rear-mounted PTO blower and a front blade. Unfortunately, that is quite expensive and requires the removal of the loader to operate the front blade. Not a big deal, but when the snow is falling it delays one's start. One would have to be moving a lot of now frequently to justify the cost and storage space of such a set up. There are some companies that make loader mounted blades for the 2320 application, but I have found these boom blades to be cumbersome and prone to move the front end of the tractor around, even in larger machines. They also place directional stress on the loader arms that the arms are not intended to handle.

With regard to the loader and rear blade set up, it is adequate for most homeowners who do not have to move much snow. It is very easy to set up, the rear blade can be used for other applications, and is quite cost-effective. The problem is buckets fill up with snow, are slow, and the rear blade either has to be pulled with the tractor itself breaking up the snow banks, or reversed and snow plowing backwards which is slow, straining on the neck and potentially dangerous. The rear blades really are intended for grading, so the moldboards are low (usually less than 14") so snow tends to flow over the top, which can get frustrating.

My advice is this: the 2320 is a great little tractor. I have owned almost every compact JD sells and I like my 2320 as well or better than any. It is super stout and a bunch more capable than a 2305 for just a bit more dinero. Aside from hydraulics it will do any task the 2520 or 2720 will do. It will pull a 4' box blade better than my 3720 pulled a 5', and I think would pull a five footer fine. If I were buying a snow removal device for the 2320 I would get a 54" JD front blade which is small but quite durable and be done. Though the blade is not very wide, it is great for plowing and blade size, unless vastly differing, offers little additional speed for plowing. Of course, you could get a UTV with a plow which is the best option but also very expensive.

John M

/ Advice on 2320 purchase for mowing and snow removal #4  
With regard to tires, the only factory choices you have are R4 and R3 turfs. Neither are good for snow. I would go with the lesser of two evils and get the R4's. Unless your land is perfectly flat, you might need chains for the back mainly to prevent sliding. The tractors tend to push well, but they are heavy and will slide, especially on steep drives. Chains will fix that problem. The 2320 has good fender clearance and is easy to chain up. The 3000 series is a major pain, no fender clearance. I would recommend chains. You do not have to have them but it makes plowing much more efficient.

John M

/ Advice on 2320 purchase for mowing and snow removal #5  
Boy I sure don't want to start round 9,785 of the tire wars but R4s work ok for me. Don't get me wrong chains are much better. For your application I would suggest turfs with chains. My R4s do tear up my lawn a bit in spring when it is soft. That is not too much of a problem since we do have a small lawn tractor.

As far as a FEL vs blower is concerned. If it is one or the other get a FEL. If you can afford both a FEL and a rear blower/front blade setup, wow, that would be ideal. FELS do work for snow. If you get a lot of snow in one go then the FEL can lift up the snow and stack it. After the storm in the picture it took about 8 hours (with breaks of course) to do my 800 ft driveway, my neighbors 400 foot driveway, and the retired couples 600 foot driveway down the road. Do I wish I had a blower; you bet, but the FEL rear blade setup does work and can be used all year long.

If you do settle on the FEL rear blade setup try using the rear blade reversed (pushing with the concave side) you hardly move any gravel. Good Luck.

Attachments

• tractor cleaning driveway (Medium).jpg
    tractor cleaning driveway (Medium).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,949
   / Advice on 2320 purchase for mowing and snow removal
Thanks for the advice. My previous set-up for plowing when I lived in town was an Yamaha ATV with 50" plow. For the most part, it worked nicely but I ran out places to put snow so I ended up selling it and purchasing the X500 with blower.

My first thought when moving to this property was to purchase an ATV with blade for most snow removal and keep the X500 for the heavier snows. So the idea of an UTV with plow is not too far from what I originally considered. However, I'm not sure how much heavier the Gators are than a regular ATV but I did have issues with my last ATV having the front end pushed around when I had the blade angled. I think that the larger drifts I'll get here in the larger open area may over-challenge the lighter ATV.

I really wish I knew the plowing capability of the 2320. Will it handle the 4' drifts and alleviate the need for a blower?

Regarding the cabbed tractor; I'd love to go that route but just not enough funds right now. I do anticipate an aftermarket cab for my 2320.

Thanks!

John

/ Advice on 2320 purchase for mowing and snow removal #7  
John

A blower would be faster but the FEL will handle 4 foot drifts. In the picture above the snow was over 3 feet deep and wet enough that I could just scoop along the ground and pick up a large "stack" of snow. We don't get storms like this very often where I live in Eastern Washington so I did not go the blower route. Even with a blower it would be slow going if you waited until the snow had accumulated the entire four feet.

What I do now is wait until we get about a foot or so of snow then put the FEL about 1 inch or so above the ground. Then I push the snow and can clear the driveway for maybe 30 or 40 feet. The snow is either pushed off to the side or stacks up in front. Then I do a sharp 90 degree turn and dump the accumulated snow. Repeat as needed. I don't know if that would work for you or if you get so much snow that you would be outside all the time.

Will your salesman come out with the tractor so you can try it out at your place?

Last edited:
   / Advice on 2320 purchase for mowing and snow removal #8  
I see that your annual snowfall is about 60 to 74 inches total oer year. How much easier would your job be if you paved the driveway instead? I think you might be better served keeping the X500 mower and taking a little time to better determine your needs for a tractor.
good luck with whatever you decide.:D

/ Advice on 2320 purchase for mowing and snow removal #10  
Myself, I don't think you gain much by going to the 2320 over the X500.

I mow up to 8 acres with a 54" deck (would handle a 62 but I have trees to get between), and find that the AWS (all wheel steer) makes handling hills a breeze.

If I were you, I'd keep the X500, and the snowblower. Get the 54" blade for it and see how it goes. Then make the decision to go bigger.

But I'd go bigger than the 2320. But you do as you feel most comfortable for you. :)

Here is my 4300 with plow (7' Western) and it handled the 12" snow this past week with relative ease. There was a stretch of drive that runs E-W that was just at 4' deep on the south side, and 12" deep on the north side.

Attachments

• 100_1052.JPG
    100_1052.JPG
    785.7 KB · Views: 3,017
  • plowpic.jpg
    plowpic.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 1,164