T n T Use?

/ T n T Use? #1  

gdilling

Tractor
John Deere 4710
I'm leaning heavily toward the purchase of the JD4710. I know for most things ( having read this forum for awhile) it is better to buy it already installed. I'm going to have this CUT for a long time and want it to be as versatile as possible. How important would it be to have a TnT? What are its applications? Could this be added later for about the same cost? I do plan on getting the 2 mid and 1 rear SCV. Can any one suggest any other options important to order upfront? Has anyone ordered the XTRA Armor or shielding that is offered. It can be ordered piecemeal or as a whold package. One of the items is a steel plate to protect the mid-mount hydraulic lines from ground obstacles. Another is a hood guard to protect, I suppose, from things dropping out of the loader when lifted above the hood. I also worry about those buttons and how long they hold up to sun and water.

/ T n T Use? #2  
Hi George...

I don't think you'll go wrong with purchasing the 4710. I've had mine for a couple of months and it's quite a dynamo. If you go with the TnT, I'd suggest you have it installed as a dealer install item. It'll save you time. Talk to your dealer first and make sure they have competent technicians that know the basics about installing the TnT and hydraulics. You can add it later yourself if you are knowledgeable about hydraulics and feel comfortable going this kind of work. You may save $200-300 by doing it yourself. If you don't do it yourself, I'd have it done now with the tractor purchase.

Applications for TnT are anything you may want to hitch up to the 3PH....namely a boxblade, rotary cutter, and landscape rake. These are what I'll be using my TnT for.

What kind of FEL will you be purchasing. If a 4in1, then you need 3 SCVs to operate it and 2 for the TnT including the diverter valve. Here again, this is something you need to talk to the dealer about to see if they are competent in doing this kind of work.

If you order the XTRA Armor package, I think you have to order the whole package. They may sell you elements of the package but not all of them. Front hood guard you can order as a stand alone purchase item...not sure about the steal plate shielding.

I was also concerned about the switches on the right fender. Dealer told me they have small drain holes beneath the switch that causes the water to drain. He pulled the switch out and showed them to me. This should prevent freezing and lock up. I'll find out for sure this coming winter if this is true.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ T n T Use? #3  
Regarding "do-it-yourself". I don't usually shy away from mechanical work. In fact I usually prefer to do things myself to make sure they're done right. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif However, I do usually need good written instructions/drawings for this kind of work. When it comes to doing your own installation of "dealer installed" items - where can you find the documentation? Would this typically come with the accessory - or would it be in the technical manual(s) for the tractor - or is this something only the dealer would be privy to???

/ T n T Use? #4  
Tim,
This kit comes with a very good instruction/instalation manual
if you want a copy to look at let me know and I'll e-mail you a copy. It's about a 2meg file, but might help decide if you want to try it yourself