5083E Anybody have one??

/ 5083E Anybody have one?? #41  
Ver happy with my 5093e. Only regret is that I didn't buy it about 2 years earlier.

/ 5083E Anybody have one?? #42  
Thought I would chime in a few years after the beginning of this thread.
The Michelin Radials work fantastic. They ride so much nicer than the bias and the grip is much better.
With the drought last year, I didn't use it much for mowing my crp. I put a JD 15ft bat wing cutter on it, and it does a pretty good job. Would still like to have a grapple, but haven't made that jump.

My only real complaint is that the brakes are not very good. The first time you apply them, they sink almost to the floor and you have to pump them. I really hate that when I have that big cutter on the back, and the brake pedal goes almost to the floor on the first push. Poor design.

/ 5083E Anybody have one?? #43  
My only real complaint is that the brakes are not very good. The first time you apply them, they sink almost to the floor and you have to pump them. I really hate that when I have that big cutter on the back, and the brake pedal goes almost to the floor on the first push. Poor design.

Whoa... I say WHOA!! :eek: Really hard to get your leg outta the door to drag your foot along the ground an help slow that tractor down...!!!

Have you visited with your dealer to see if there's anything to remedy your brake situation? Doesn't sound Ok to me. Might be a repair or recall notice on the problem. I'd be talking to the shop foreman at the very least.

AKfish

/ 5083E Anybody have one?? #44  
My brakes don't do that! Sounds like you may have some air somewhere.

/ 5083E Anybody have one?? #45  
They said that is the way it is. I have had it in there 3 times. They told me that the brake pads are pulled back a long ways from the disc, so the first time you press down on them it takes a lot of travel for them to hit the rotor. That is why when you let off and push again, they work as they should.
They couldn't fix it, so they traded me out of my 2011 into a 2013 model. So I am hoping this one will be better. Still seems to be a little soft on the first push, but i haven't really used it. Just got it last week. I like the updated cab.

What is strange, is that they had an older model 5603, or 5306, not sure, and it had the same cab and engine and drivetrain as these 5083s do, and its brakes were rock solid on the first push. So, they have changed something since then. There was a 5525 in their shop and it did very much the same thing as mine, so I don't what to think. I don't know why they would have to pull the pads so far away from the rotor. Heck, 1/64th of an inch would be a gob. It is frustrating. Not that big a deal when it is empty, but with a bale on back or that big cutter, it makes it a little dicey

/ 5083E Anybody have one?? #46  
To start off, I'm formally known as Deere9986, Here is my evaluation of the tractors.

We bought the tractors the first of June in 2011. We use them on our custom mowing operations in Arkansas. We mow about 10,000 to 12,000 acres a year with the 6 machines. I checked the hours on the machines the other day and each is in the 1300 to 1400 hour range. These tractors stay hooked to bat wings from the dealer.
I am very pleased with these little tractors. We also farm so I was skeptical when I climbed on one of these compared to my 8000 series. These are well built little tractors especially for what we put them through. We've had a few PTO shafts break and Deere always fixed them at which ever dealer was closest. On my list of problem areas, first would be the rear draw bar. Watch the bolts on the bottom and the braces running up the back. We've had two hitches rip off the tractors that we claimed on insurance. Second would be the mfwd driveshaft. Every tractor broke the factory one because the screws holding the cover on would gouge the shaft and when put in a bind would twist at the cut. Non of ours burn more than a quart of oil between changes or had any major engine problems. Overall they are great little tractors. We leased a 2012 model and really liked the cab improvements. We are looking at trading for 6 New ones this year and maybe then trading every year so our dealer will have lower hour tractors to move compared to these.

/ 5083E Anybody have one?? #47  
Whoa... I say WHOA!! :eek: Really hard to get your leg outta the door to drag your foot along the ground an help slow that tractor down...!!!

Have you visited with your dealer to see if there's anything to remedy your brake situation? Doesn't sound Ok to me. Might be a repair or recall notice on the problem. I'd be talking to the shop foreman at the very least.

AKfish

Yeah I agree something isn't right. I tap the brakes on my 5203 mfwd and it'll throw you forward EASILY. That's with an 800lb disk behind it too in travel mode. All of my tractors seem to have great brakes, never had to really get hard on any if them to make it stop.

/ 5083E Anybody have one?? #48  
To start off, I'm formally known as Deere9986, Here is my evaluation of the tractors.

We bought the tractors the first of June in 2011. We use them on our custom mowing operations in Arkansas. We mow about 10,000 to 12,000 acres a year with the 6 machines. I checked the hours on the machines the other day and each is in the 1300 to 1400 hour range. These tractors stay hooked to bat wings from the dealer.
I am very pleased with these little tractors. We also farm so I was skeptical when I climbed on one of these compared to my 8000 series. These are well built little tractors especially for what we put them through. We've had a few PTO shafts break and Deere always fixed them at which ever dealer was closest. On my list of problem areas, first would be the rear draw bar. Watch the bolts on the bottom and the braces running up the back. We've had two hitches rip off the tractors that we claimed on insurance. Second would be the mfwd driveshaft. Every tractor broke the factory one because the screws holding the cover on would gouge the shaft and when put in a bind would twist at the cut. Non of ours burn more than a quart of oil between changes or had any major engine problems. Overall they are great little tractors. We leased a 2012 model and really liked the cab improvements. We are looking at trading for 6 New ones this year and maybe then trading every year so our dealer will have lower hour tractors to move compared to these.

Thanks for posting this! Its nice to know how they are holding up with higher hours. A former employee at my dealer told me the E's are having less problems then the M's but I figured he was just telling me that because I had one.

/ 5083E Anybody have one?? #49  
Well you are a better man then my self MattLynch. My hats off to you, I own a 5093e limited and I would hate to mow that many acres with this machine.Ive owned it for a little over 2 years, and Im not IMPRESSED. THe ground I mow is steep and rough , I pull a john deere HX10 rotary and It takes all the **** out of this tractor to do what i do . I bought this machine because John Deere said they have the machine to do it all. Ive read all the posts on here and I must say they are all interesting,but I must say IMO this series of john deere is overrated.(the 5093e) I will not buy another E series again its M or on up the next time.......I wish you all the best with all of your tractors but I regret my purchase. Have a good one.

/ 5083E Anybody have one?? #50  
Well you are a better man then my self MattLynch. My hats off to you, I own a 5093e limited and I would hate to mow that many acres with this machine.Ive owned it for a little over 2 years, and Im not IMPRESSED. THe ground I mow is steep and rough , I pull a john deere HX10 rotary and It takes all the **** out of this tractor to do what i do . I bought this machine because John Deere said they have the machine to do it all. Ive read all the posts on here and I must say they are all interesting,but I must say IMO this series of john deere is overrated.(the 5093e) I will not buy another E series again its M or on up the next time.......I wish you all the best with all of your tractors but I regret my purchase. Have a good one.

It seems to me you aren't happy with the weight of your tractor. Why didn't you just buy a 6D? Either that or set the wheels out as wide as they will go and load your E up with weight. All of the new 5 series tractors are light in the rear. I have my rear tires loaded and still need a snowblower or something on the back to handle silage bales well.