Deere 553 Loader: what bucket? what Attachment carrier?

/ Deere 553 Loader: what bucket? what Attachment carrier? #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
URGENT Deere 553 Loader: what bucket? what Attachment carrier?

Dropped off my tractor today to get a 553 loader. I did not specify what carrier or bucket - I can still call tomorrow to specify - can you guys make recommendations? Right now they offer the GP bucket which is supposed to be made heavier than the regular bucket. Tractor is a MWFD 5105. Will do digging in clay.

Last edited:
   / Deere 553 Loader: what bucket? what Attachment carrier? #2  
I recently added the 512 loader to my 2WD 5105. I optioned for the 73" bucket instead of the standard 66". The GP bucket is much more sturdy than the previous materials bucket. I went with the standard JD attachment since I don't have any other attachments to share. Taking the bucket on and off is very simple. Some recommend going with the QA carrier to be able to swap attachments with those that fit on Bobcat type machines.

/ Deere 553 Loader: what bucket? what Attachment carrier? #3  
I have a 73 inch material bucket and ended up welding on steel on the sides, boxing the top in and adding a replacable cutting edge just like the heavy duty bucket. I am very happy so I recommend the strongest bucket you can get. Get the heavy duty bucket.

/ Deere 553 Loader: what bucket? what Attachment carrier?
Im just confused about the "global" attachment option versus the JD 500, versus the Skid Steer QA. How would one decide this? I don't have access to other skid steer buckets, but that's not to say that I won't inthe future.

And if you get the GP bucket, is that "heavy duty" or are there three - a materials, GP, and heavy duty?

confused!!! It's 5 am here now and I feel like I need to get my dealer an answer this morning so any help is appreciated!

/ Deere 553 Loader: what bucket? what Attachment carrier? #5  
Search terms like "JDQA" and "SSQA"

I am a proponent of the JDQA setup on smaller loaders due to the decreased weight, but yours is bigger so I would recomend the SSQA. That way you can get forks or a grapple from just about anywhere, even used if you find them. Also get the HD bucket.

/ Deere 553 Loader: what bucket? what Attachment carrier? #6  
If I was doing it today and didn't have any existing attachments - I would go with a skid loader setup.

Think heavy duty bucket.

D.

/ Deere 553 Loader: what bucket? what Attachment carrier? #7  
Search terms like "JDQA" and "SSQA"

I am a proponent of the JDQA setup on smaller loaders due to the decreased weight, but yours is bigger so I would recomend the SSQA. That way you can get forks or a grapple from just about anywhere, even used if you find them. Also get the HD bucket.
I will second that.... what he said:D

/ Deere 553 Loader: what bucket? what Attachment carrier? #10  
I tried to study the architecture of the global hitch on JD's website - using the Build Your Own - for the 5000 series tractors.

I was impressed with the upper bar and hook configuration. The lower (automated) pin system was a bit confusing...

It looked kinda complex and appeared to be a good candidate for jamming -- with ice, snow, slush, mud, manure, straw.

Where I live and work, there is potentially 7 months of time when the weather conditions can present those elements... and I switch my front FEL attachments - alot. Bucket, grapple (with hyd cylinders), forks, and homemade receiver hitch that I use to move trailers and equipment or pick and move heavy implements, etc.

With the new global carrier, I could envision spending some amount of time digging around those lower pins trying to be certain that they either engaged or disengaged.

Maybe I'm off the mark here - 'cause I've never seen that mounting system close up - but it looks a little iffy based on the pics.

Anyone have this system and used it when the sun wasn't shining? Thanks.

AKfish