JD 5055E, Good, Bad, & Ugly?

/ JD 5055E, Good, Bad, & Ugly? #1  

LRTX1

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall 140's
The local Dealer has one with 21hrs on it. Ag tires, which I want, loader joystick but no loader, one will be added, along with front weights and wheel weights. I think it will sell as a new unit, advertised price is around 21k plus loader price.

How easy is it to detach the loader. I wouldn't want it on 80% of the time?

I will use it for 35 acres of land prep for peas mostly, ie., bottom plow, discing. Also, rotary mowing and loader work. Eventually I plan on getting planters, bedders and cultivators, fertilizer spreader, boom sprayer and such.

For now I will continue to plant and cultivate with my Farmall 140's. I have all the equipment needed for the 140, which I have been using for years. I just cant afford the complete switch at first. I don't NEED anything more than I already have, it would just be nice. The pea farming is just a hobby for additional income, it is not my primary source of income.

Opions on this model?

Layne

/ JD 5055E, Good, Bad, & Ugly? #2  
Is the tractor mfwd? Makes a world of difference. Mine is and I have done many jobs with the mfwd engaed and disengaged and there is no comparision. MFWD rules. So glad I bought a tractor with mfwd.

As for the loader it depends which loader you get. Some are designed to be taken off and on and others are designed to be left on once installed. I have a 5210 with a 541 loader (designed to be taken off and on) and I can remove the loader in less than 5 mins. The loader mounts stay on the tractor but it isn't a big deal as they are designed into the tractor. John Deere loaders are designed to fit Specific John Deere tractors. The loaders are not bulky and fit tight to the tractor.
I have driven tractors with aftermarket loaders installed and they felt clumsy and made loader work a chore.

I really like my John Deere and can't imagine not having it. It is small enough to do tight jobs around the yard and big enough to do small jobs in the field.

/ JD 5055E, Good, Bad, & Ugly?
Yes, this model is a mfwd. I wouldn't plan on buying a new tractor without.

Thanks for the input so far.

Layne

/ JD 5055E, Good, Bad, & Ugly? #4  
LRTX1

I've got a 5103 which is a step down from the 5055E. Those are the new models that replace the 5xx3 series which I have. I have the 553 loader on mine which can be taken on and off like Goalie's 541 loader. Basicly the 541 and 553 loaders are the same heavy duty loaders for the 5000 series tractors. The 512 which is not as strong can not be taken off the tractor. The 522 loader which is a little better loader than the 512 can be taken off. After using my 553 loader for 130hrs I can say that I would'nt want any other loader on my tractor period. Just my 2 cents... Bull