discussion cut with mower deck or separate riding mower

/ discussion cut with mower deck or separate riding mower #1  

gwjd

Silver Member
just a thought with a finish mower deck particularly mmm's going for 2k or more it seams cheaper and more manovarable to use a riding lawnmower of about the same price.

also they are lighter than a cut and do not tear up the lawn obviously this is aimed at smaller 1-3 acre jobs not a replacement for a brush hog or the like.

i believe that the mower would last about as long as a deck would and keep the hours down on the bigger tractor

if you were trying to get an every thing machine you end up going smaller so you can mow your lawn when for the same money you could have both machines now this dose take some of the utility out of utility tractor but im interested to hear every ones thoughts.

/ discussion cut with mower deck or separate riding mower #2  
I think it depends on your application. I had a MMM for my BX, that tractor mowed 4.5 acres evry 5-7 days for 9 years. I don't think a riding mower that cost less than $5-6,000 would have been as trouble free as the BX.

For those who have smaller acreages, and need a tractor for other uses, your suggestion makes sense.

I now mow even more, and bought a commercial ZTR for my mowing. The BX was traded for a B2620, and it is convenient to not have a MMM on the tractor when I use it for FEL work and bush hogging.

Will

/ discussion cut with mower deck or separate riding mower #3  
I think there is a lot of truth to what you say. Keep the hours down and for the price you could probably get a half descent machine, maybe. I have not priced them, but I wonder if the smaller machine would be quality enough for the same price to last as long as the deck.
Maneuverability would be a plus if you had a lot of tree's or hills etc. Now that the big work is done around our place, the bigger machine would sit around a lot and that is no good for equipment either. I bet I would have to spend more than the price of my MMM to get a machine I felt was quality enough to last as long as the MMM. All that being said, If I had the dollars to spend I would consider a seperate mower.

/ discussion cut with mower deck or separate riding mower
yea a home owner ztr would be good to

and obviously if you have a large yard go with a three point finish but you can get a deer or huskavarna for 2k or so at hd or lowes yes its not a garden tractor but it is a good mower all it has to do is drive no real need for final drives or the like, and it would only see mowing use, not getting abused trying to play tractor.

also you can get a 5055e for ex for a similar price to a 4xxx granted no cab or fancy stuff but you do get a heaver more hp tractor that is more us-full on a brush hog or plow and you can get r1's and not tear your grass up

you just seam to get more bang for your buck in the 30-50 hp range

hopefully when i get property in 10 years or so i will make the right decision lol

I think it depends on your application. I had a MMM for my BX, that tractor mowed 4.5 acres evry 5-7 days for 9 years. I don't think a riding mower that cost less than $5-6,000 would have been as trouble free as the BX.

For those who have smaller acreages, and need a tractor for other uses, your suggestion makes sense.

I now mow even more, and bought a commercial ZTR for my mowing. The BX was traded for a B2620, and it is convenient to not have a MMM on the tractor when I use it for FEL work and bush hogging.

Will

yea 4.5 figure trees = 5 acres thats a lot for a riding mower

/ discussion cut with mower deck or separate riding mower #6  
I prefer a riding mower for the lawn of about 2.7 acres in town, usually cut this in about 2 hrs. to 2.5 hrs with my bargain box mower. I will buy a better mower next time though. Can't see using my tractors to mow the lawn.

/ discussion cut with mower deck or separate riding mower #7  
If the amount of one's land that is dedicated to lawn is small, I agree. While putting my tractor purchase together, I too realized that one could buy two of the el cheapo $1000 riding lawn mowers for the price of a deck.

There are places if one owns 3 or 4 acres, where the culture seems to dictate that every square inch of it must be mowed.

/ discussion cut with mower deck or separate riding mower #8  
1*just a thought with a finish mower deck particularly mmm's going for 2k or more it seams cheaper and more manovarable to use a riding lawnmower of about the same price.
2*also they are lighter than a cut and do not tear up the lawn .
3*if you were trying to get an every thing machine you end up going smaller so you can mow your lawn when for the same money you could have both machines now this dose take some of the utility out of utility tractor but im interested to hear every ones thoughts.
Neither
I think it depends on your application. I had a MMM for my BX, that tractor mowed 4.5 acres evry 5-7 days for 9 years.
4*I don't think a riding mower that cost less than $5-6,000 would have been as trouble free as the Bx.
Will
1*I use a BX1500 with a 48'' mmm for mowing close in around the house and a BX23 with a 60'' mmm for the larger more open areas.
2* My BXs do not tear up the lawn .
3*I was able to do about the same thing with the 3 BXs.
4*One of my BX1500s with a 48 '' mower was $5250

/ discussion cut with mower deck or separate riding mower #9  
I went the other way
I used to have a seperate CUT and lawn mower
I now have a 2320 with a 62D MMM
I find I can mow faster, do a better job and not have two machines to maintain.
I would be hard pressed to purchase a quality seperate mower for the price of the 62D MMM.
The only drawback I see is I now need to wait an extra day after a heavy rain to mow, to assure I don't rut the lawn with the heavier machine.

There are places if one owns 3 or 4 acres, where the culture seems to dictate that every square inch of it must be mowed.[/QUOTE]

that is true and dose need a real mower