Tractor Sizing wheel weights

/ wheel weights #1  

kybadcat36

Does a 4105 tractor with a 300cx loader need wheel weights? The tires are filled but I was wondering if that was enough to keep the rear on the ground. I will only be lifting about pickup bed high??? Wheel wights aren't cheap>>>>>:confused::confused:

/ wheel weights #2  
You don't need wheel weights, but you definitely need something on the 3PH. The loader manual should specify the weights needed.

/ wheel weights #3  
Does a 4105 tractor with a 300cx loader need wheel weights? The tires are filled but I was wondering if that was enough to keep the rear on the ground. I will only be lifting about pickup bed high??? Wheel wights aren't cheap>>>>>:confused::confused:

I have a 4320 with loaded R4 tires and 400X loader (no wheel weights) and rarely have extra weight on the rear unless doing very heavy lifting. Putting an implement on the 3ph always helps for the heavier FEL work -- box blade, rear plow, ballast box, etc.

/ wheel weights #4  
Wheel wights aren't cheap

Heck of a lot cheaper than a pickup!

Seriously KY you can never have too much weight. Anything on the 3ph will help a LOT. If you hit the brake(s) while inching towards your truck with a full bucket lifted high you REALLY want the back end to stay planted on the ground.

Loading a flatbed truck you'll probably care more about the tractor, but if you spend any significant amount of time near a full size pickup it's amazing how much and how fast the acceptable margins or error shrink (i.e. turn your head around then drive forward.) You'll be glad the back end stayed planted then!

Joe

/ wheel weights #5  
cast iron wheel weights help, but they are really expensive. A 3PH ballast box loaded with rocks or something is a cheaper way out. I would definitely recommend an iMATCH hitch. it's really easy to drop off that heavy box w/o killing yourself.

/ wheel weights #6  
I have 330 lbs of weight on each rear wheel on my 4520, I prefer these wheel weights because there are times you need the extra traction while using a light high draft implement on the 3pt hitch. But, for a 4105 with fel I think there are alot of merits to having the ballast box or heavy implement to transfer some of the weight off the front axle.

/ wheel weights #7  
I do not think you NEED wheel weights in your application if your rear tires are loaded. As has been mentioned, wheel weights and/or hitch mounted ballast really do help with loader safety and performance. JD specifies a lot of weights, and probably would advise you to have both more wheel mounted weight and either a heavy ballast box or hitch mounted implement for ballast too. I successfully and (mostly) safely used a 300 cx loader on a 3720 tractor which had loaded R4 tires without additional ballast at times. I always tried to run my rear BB (about 500 pounds) when using the loader but there were tight areas on my property that prohibited this some of the time. On flattish ground the 3720 was fine whenever I did this; only once when positioning a big landscaping rock did I encounter wheel lift and instability, but I never felt in imminent danger. By comparison, your 4105 is a larger machine than a 3720 (though it does not weigh more) so unless you are testing your machine's lift capacity on uneven ground you should be fine in most cases. Please bear in mind that I stated you "should be fine" not that you "would be fine" and clearly more weight would be both safer and increase your productivity substantially.

John M