Comparison Deere 3032E versus 3038E

/ Deere 3032E versus 3038E #1  

Jim55

I am going to buy a new tractor in the next day or so. My research came down to two models the 3032E or 3038E. Both are very similar. --- Same Weight, same loader lift capacity, same transmission.

Just: Why is the 3038E stronger with a SMALLER engine (1.5L) than the 3032E with 1.64L while both turn at 2500 rpm?

Thanks

Jim

/ Deere 3032E versus 3038E #2  
The 3038E is turbocharged. It's actually the same engine as what is in the 3520. The 3032E and 3320 share the same engine also.

/ Deere 3032E versus 3038E #3  
Be advised that neither of those tractors have off-seat PTO capability. If you intend to use them with implements such as a chipper, generator or log splitter, these machines may not be the best choice for you.
There are work-arounds for off-seat operation (weight of the seat, jumpering the safety switch under the seat)...things like that.

/ Deere 3032E versus 3038E
Thanks guys. I am not a great fan of turbos. We live close to sea level and it is just another thing that can go wrong! Therefore the 3032E will most probably be the one that I will buy.

Roy, thanks for your caution about the off-seat non-capability. I am aware of that and in another post they show how to jippo that. But for as long as my warranty lasts I will be in the seat. For quite a while it will purely move dirt. The loader needs to stay on.

Thanks again

Jim

/ Deere 3032E versus 3038E #5  
I have pondered that same question on the engine cubes and turbo. Having owned a similar HP and size tractor I dont know how much those extra ponies are needed.

Power is not normally these tractors shortfall....it's traction/weight that is needed. I can see wanting / needing extra power at times tho with heavy duty PTO situations when blowing snow or with a rc or maybe a tiller. Still, I think this size tractor is best off with 5 foot implements.....no?

/ Deere 3032E versus 3038E #6  
I bought the 3038E because I wanted the extra 5hp. Having owned it for 3 months, I'm reasonably happy with it. I originally purchased a used Ford 861 (48hp). Talking with my dealer, for price the 3038E would handle the attachments that I had already purchased for the 861, ie. 7' landscape rake, 6' disk, and I purchased a 7' rear blade with the 3038E. Since I don't own a rotary cutter yet, but my uncle does, the dealer said I could pull his 6' Brush hog with the 3038E.
Plowing snow with a 7' rear blade made it seem like the tractor was too light even with the rear tires filled. But finally taking some used chains and fitting them on the rears made all the difference on how much I could keep pulling. A draw back to these tractors is that it only has one brake peddle, so in the wet snow I had to slow down for steering and sometimes had to go back and forth to get where I wanted to go. I evenually added front chains too. I may one day put rim guard in the front tires also since I've heard that makes a big difference too.
The 3032E would save you some money for buying attachments.

/ Deere 3032E versus 3038E #7  
Factories seem to get hold of HP like it is the holy grail of tractoring. If you are using pto driven equipment, it becomes an issue as to what size pto stuff you can power. Horse power and a 2000 Lb tractor as far as ground engaging or pulling hardly makes a wit of difference if your tractor is just going to slip. There, all HP does is make the slipping wheels spin faster. My 20 hp jd 750, will do just as much work as the same weight tractor with 30hp. It is all about the moving scale of hp to weight. Once wheels start to spin on the lighter tractor, hp becomes moot. I have never bogged down my jd before it started to spin and that includes the tractor in 4wd with chains on all tires with the rears loaded.