Buying Advice Post Hole Digger? Post Holde Auger?

/ Post Hole Digger? Post Holde Auger? #1  

North of 60

Soory...newbie here...looking to add to my collection of attachments ofr my JD 2520...dumb question...What is the difference between the post hole auger & post holkde digger?

/ Post Hole Digger? Post Holde Auger? #2  
Good question.. there are models which provide downward pressure on the bit versus other models that the digging action is achieved thru only the weight of the implement and the "screw" of the bit.

North of 60, eh? Hope the banana trees don't bloom too early this year... darn frost will get 'em! That'll happen once in a while here, too! :D

AKfish

/ Post Hole Digger? Post Holde Auger? #3  
A post hole auger is just part of the unit. A post hole digger is the entire unit; 3 pt frame, PTO shaft, and auger. Some people may occasionally refer to the whole thing as just an auger, but I’d check and make sure.

/ Post Hole Digger? Post Holde Auger? #4  
A post hole auger is just part of the unit. A post hole digger is the entire unit; 3 pt frame, PTO shaft, and auger. Some people may occasionally refer to the whole thing as just an auger, but I壇 check and make sure.

But ole country boys jest call the whole thang a post hole "digger". :D

/ Post Hole Digger? Post Holde Auger? #5  
Soory...newbie here...looking to add to my collection of attachments ofr my JD 2520...dumb question...What is the difference between the post hole auger & post holkde digger?

If you are looking at JD configurator at the frontier products, which it sounds like you are, the digger is the whole unit minus the auger. The reason they seperate them is so you can order which ever size auger(bit) you want with the digger. If you just ordered the digger, you would not get an auger(bit). The other reason is that they make 2 different length augers, one for the 2305, and one for everything else. Since the 2305 has such small tires it requires a shorter bit. All the bits are interchangable between all the diggers but on the configurator it will only show the short bits being compatible with the PHD100, but it is the same bolt pattern as all the others.

The down pressure kit is listed on the "attachments for field conversion" link. For your 2520 you would have to use your loader valve to operate it(either by running hoses up to it, or getting the scv hose kit to run them to the back with couplers). The only pain running down pressure on the 2x20 series is that there is no return to sump port for the return line that I have been able to find on the back of the tractor. What we have done in the past is got a 90 degree fitting and an adapter the same size as the transmission fill plug and run the return into there.

/ Post Hole Digger? Post Holde Auger? #6  
Many times a PTO powered unit will be called a "Post Hole Digger" while a unit with a hydraulic motor will be called an "auger".

The hydraulic motor has the advantage of being reversible, so it can be backed out if it gets stuck in the ground, which happens occasionally. Typically the hydraulic units are mounted in some way that can supply down pressure, while the PTO powered ones need a down pressure adaptor or kit to have this feature.

The hydraulic ones tend to be more expensive ...

Sometimes though, the business end that goes into the dirt is called an "auger". Sometimes it is called a "bit".