647 or 655 tiller

/ 647 or 655 tiller #1  

BGT

Can you guys enlighten me on these tillers? I've done a search of the forums, and some of the posts mention offset. What is all that about?

Also, I was intending on going with the 647 but even the dealer mentioned something about covering my tracks. I believe the 647 is 4' wide. The 2320 manual says the tractor is:

Overall Width (Minimum) 1188 mm (46.8 in.)

Is the 647 not wide enough to cover the tracks? What's bad about tracks anyway?

Another thing I wanted to ask about is, I've seen some posts on here about "tilling yourself into a corner." I don't understand how you can do that. When you go as far as you can go, don't you just lift the tiller, turn the tractor around, then back up and till up the spot where the tractor was sitting before you turned it around?

I'm new to all this, but this is the only way to learn.....:ashamed:

Thanks a bunch!

/ 647 or 655 tiller #2  
Welcome to the forum!

For a 2320 with 18 pto hp I would go with the 647 tiller and it should cover your tracks. Forget offset, you don't need it. Tracks, we all make them but try to plan your job to minimize them. Otherwise you seem to be on the right track for small scale projects.

/ 647 or 655 tiller #3  
A 647 tiller is the appropriate size for a 2320. It would operate a 655, but this is slightly beyond its PTO HP capabilities.

John

/ 647 or 655 tiller #4  
Can you guys enlighten me on these tillers? I've done a search of the forums, and some of the posts mention offset. What is all that about?

Is the 647 not wide enough to cover the tracks? What's bad about tracks anyway?

Another thing I wanted to ask about is, I've seen some posts on here about "tilling yourself into a corner." I don't understand how you can do that. When you go as far as you can go, don't you just lift the tiller, turn the tractor around, then back up and till up the spot where the tractor was sitting before you turned it around?
................QUOTE]

Offset is simply moving the tiller off center, so the extended end of the tiller will till up the dirt behind one wheel. Usually we don't drive over the newly tilled area as it compacts the soil. Thus the comment "tilling yourself into a corner". Nothing "bad" about tracks and if it doesn't bother you, not an issue. :)
But most users will not want to drive on their tilled soil.

/ 647 or 655 tiller #5  
We have a 647 for our 2320 and to be honest it covers the tracks just fine and the 2320 will easily run the 655 which in retrospect if I had to do over I would have gotten the 655 and am still trying to make a deal with our dealer on trading our 647 for a 655 that was run on a 445 GT (no that is not a mis type and it worked very well) so I see no issues running it on a 2320.

/ 647 or 655 tiller #6  
if you plan to till in the rocks or clay I'd get the 647 if soil is standard go with the larger unit!

/ 647 or 655 tiller
As always, thanks!! 647 it is!!

/ 647 or 655 tiller #8  
My 2320, along with a 655 arrived in February. I dealt with the same questions about coverage. I decided to not take any chances with the 655. I haven't noticed any PTO limitations. I tilled a 80 X 210 garden out of part of the pasture and did just fine. Hope this helps.

/ 647 or 655 tiller
Liking that 2320 are ya? I am still waiting on mine - tiller is here, but tractor isn't. May 25th delivery date.

What other attachments did you get?