Whats the story on Yanmar and John Deere ?

/ Whats the story on Yanmar and John Deere ? #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
I heard they parted ways. Are they still using a series of Yanmar or did they develop an engine on their own.
I haven't been to the dealership in a while. I know they will talk me into switching for the latest expensive toy.

/ Whats the story on Yanmar and John Deere ? #2  
At minimum, Deere is still using Yanmar engines in their CUTs up to the 3720. They're also buying the 3005 and (I think) the 4005 tractors from Yanmar.

I really hope they continue...Yanmar does manufacture fine quality small diesels used in tractors, sailboats and industrial applications. They have been doing this for (at least) 3 decades.

/ Whats the story on Yanmar and John Deere ? #3  
Yanmar does make excellent engines and hope JD will continue with them. I think the concern came from Yanmar wanting to get back into selling tractors here. They seem to have satisfied that desire with getting their name on Cub Cadet tractors. I have done no research on where those are made.

/ Whats the story on Yanmar and John Deere ? #4  
Yanmar does make excellent engines and hope JD will continue with them. I think the concern came from Yanmar wanting to get back into selling tractors here. They seem to have satisfied that desire with getting their name on Cub Cadet tractors. I have done no research on where those are made.

deere has purchased a couple of tractor plants in india and china. This is where there replacements for the yanmars will be built as some are now.

There problem is that the engines from there wouldn't pass emissions.

It was deere that started this not Yanmar! They moved to Cub Cadet looking for a market for there line.

/ Whats the story on Yanmar and John Deere ? #5  
Almost forgot its been +/- 3 months since the last Yanmar/Deere split post...so I suppose we're due to talk about it again....

Yanmar/Deere split is like Sasquatch....Everybody has heard about it happening..but nobody has proof. I'll believe it when I see it. If you search TBN you'll find posts exactly like this way that go WAY back...

I was at an agribusiness trade show 2 weeks ago and you guys wouldnt belive the garbage I heard from a "less then educated" dealer of white tractors...I can see where and how these rumors start.

/ Whats the story on Yanmar and John Deere ? #6  
It evolves and will continue to evolve. IMO :)

I'm sure happy with the Yanmar diesel, but would also expect to be happy with a Deere diesel if I traded up to more HP and a four cylinder. But Deere has their work cut out for them to out-design a diesel that bests the Yanmar, IMO

Designing a better tractor than the Yanmar wasn't as difficult, and I think has been accomplished by Deere. :thumbsup:

/ Whats the story on Yanmar and John Deere ? #7  
JD's factories in China and India have nothing to do with Yanmar. Both of those factories were built to provide specific models for those markets. That said, some of the India tractors have come over so JD can match the low-cost offering of other mfgs (who moved overseas first).

JD also has a joint venture with Yanmar/Kansaki (sp?) in Georgia or Tennessee for the mfg of Gator and tractor transmissions/axles.

/ Whats the story on Yanmar and John Deere ? #8  
Yanmar and John Deere.
Hello Gents. I am considering buying a used Yanmar, 2012 model XL490. This mid size tractor would suit my needs very well. It has 50hp. Is this a good piece of equipment??? Help.

I am not sure if I have the story correct about Yanmar, John Deere and Cub Cadet??
Yanmar built the engines for John Deere? Built the whole tractor and just labelled them Deere? No relationship between them anymore?

To be honest Cub Cadet is not a brand I would trust, so was it simply marketing and selling that Yanmar had the yellow and white line.

AdamPurdy

/ Whats the story on Yanmar and John Deere ? #9  
Yammar has at times made entire tractors for JD or just supplied engines. I'm not sure what the relation is right now, but at the very least, Yanmar still supplies engines for some JD models. For a while, Yanmar also made tractors for Cub, but no longer, Yammer has begun selling their own again.

So yes, the Cub XL490 was made by Yanmar and marketed/sold by Cub. Looks like Yanmar now sells the same machine at the Yanmar LX4900...still have the same black and yellow paint job...just no Cub badging.

/ Whats the story on Yanmar and John Deere ? #10  
My 4105 (bought early 2013) has a Yanmar donk. The rest of it is 'plated' as USA. The 300CX FEL is from Mexico.

I like that... the filters are fairly generic so I can get them locally.