Buying Advice Looking at JD 2140 4x4, Cab, Loader

/ Looking at JD 2140 4x4, Cab, Loader #1  

ah64_ip29

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HSTC
I'm looking at a John Deere 2140, 4WD, (82hp), Cab, Koyker 400 front end loader, hay spear & bucket. It is about 24 yrs old, no hour meter (one owner he claims 40hrs/yr on average), A/C hasn't been charged for years.

Not sure whether or not it has turbo yet, will find out.

What would be a fair price for this? Is this a good tractor? What types of things should I look at when evaluating it? How much can a Koyker 400 lift?

Note: Use: I've got 17 acres. Need to move round bales for horses. Mowing - I'd like a 7' deck. Post hold digging. Pushing some dirt around and moving rocks.

Thanks for your input.

/ Looking at JD 2140 4x4, Cab, Loader #2  
Don't have direct experience with that tractor.. but, I've heard that the German-built Deere tractors are good machines, overall.

Initial thoughts, though -- that's alot of machine for 17 acres! Even with horses and big bales, etc. I'd venture that you could get along just fine with 30hp less tractor - just my opinion..

Don't know about the Koyker capabilites - you could check for their website info.

This is a pretty good resource for comparing tractor specs, etc. --

TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors

Like any used piece of equipment; where stuff can wear and become loose and break - loader pins, tie rods, hyd cylinders, driveshafts, etc. - check carefully.

Tractor clutch OK, shifts into all gears and ranges, doesn't pop out of gear when in use, pto engages, doesn't smoke excessively on startup or while running, minimal blow-by when running, 4x4 works, both brakes work and don't stick or go all the way to the floor, rims aren't rusted or weak at the valve stems (if filled), etc., etc.

I'm very particular about lights, gauges and such - heater, A/C, etc. So, if it looks like the tractor has not been maintained and the owner has disregarded keeping those things working - well, that's a big red mark - in my book. 40hrs a year use..... that kind of thing trips my BS meter, too!!

My $0.02. Best of luck.

AKfish

/ Looking at JD 2140 4x4, Cab, Loader #3  
You need to know whether this tractor was built for the overseas market or for the US market. I would ask a Deere dealer to make sure parts are readily available for this model. I have a German built 820 that was built for the US market and is a good tractor. We also have a 3030LS, German built which is hard to find parts for. Hope this helps some.

/ Looking at JD 2140 4x4, Cab, Loader
Well, I looked at it on Sat. and thought I'd update what I saw...
A/C is inop, tach/hr meter is inop, shows 2100+ hrs. Right reat tail light broken. Hay spear installed. Bucket has never been used.
Tires are dry rotted and have big tears. Seat pretty well torn up.
Hyd for loader are pulled from the 2 rear remotes. 2 of the lines had just been replaced. There looks like there is a 3rd set of hyd outlets on the back, a little lower, what are those for and how are they controlled (he didn't know)?

One front hub has been replaced. Seemed to start fine (start switch wired to a new switch), all the gears work.

He says it has a leak where the shaft enters the case on one of the lower 3pt links.
He says it was primarily used for baling.

My neighbor is offering a 4040 w/loader, 2WD, 1530hrs for about $16K. It appears to have been taken better care of than the 2140. Does this seem like a good deal?

I really appreciate your advice!

Last edited:
   / Looking at JD 2140 4x4, Cab, Loader #5  
I would consider looking for a good 4020 diesel with either syncrorange or power shift tranny. I think it would be easier to sell in a couple of years if you decided to move up.

Re: NOW Looking at JD 5510, 4x4, Loader

It seems there are a lot of fans of the older tractors. An older tractor doesn't bother me, as I used to be a certified auto mechanic, so I would think I'd be able to do a lot of maintenance if required, but I'm really new to all this tractor stuff, and of course I've been getting advice all over the spectrum. I'm trying to spend less than $20K, but am willing and able to spend whatever is required.
I originally thought I only needed about 40hp, with a loader with the 17acres and mainly horse type stuff, moving hay bales and mowing and fence post digging. I also anticipate moving dirt to level out a spot for a new barn and using a box blade, and other field prep equipment. When it rains even a little i've found that I can't get my F350 4x4 dually out into the field without getting it stuck, to drop off a round bale. A local farmer has been driving his tractor about 4 miles to deliver the bales when it is wet (he has a McCormick 80hp 4WD) So, it seems 4WD might be important for me. Someone suggested that 4WD improves pulling so sometimes more hp is not required. Some have suggested that the extra hp is not that much more in cost so I should consider getting it if I can afford it, and it will give me the ability to lift the heavier loads safely if I should need it. I'll admit the 4040 seems too big, really. A friend of mine has brought a 5510 for sale to my attention. It's a 4WD w/loader with about 1500 hours for around $17K. Is there a problem with these newer tractors (I say newer and it is probably 20yrs old)?
I'm decided the 2140 may not be a good idea as it wasn't too well taken care of, and parts might be a problem.
I wish I had more experience to help make my decisions, but I've been reading around the forum for about 6 mos, and found it very helpful from where I started. I started out assuming I wasn't going to go "green" because of the cost, but as I find our more, I am definitely leaning that way...
As always thanks for taking your time to help out a newbie.

Last edited:
   / Looking at JD 2140 4x4, Cab, Loader #7  
My neighbor has a 5410 with the 542SL loader and reverser transmission. I used it last summer to load square bales on hay wagons.

'Course, he's got over 200 acres.. too.

Your background gives you a stronger basis to make a tractor buying decision than 75% of the folk's here on TBN - IMO. You already know - or have a pretty good idea - of what wears out, and why; and what good care and maintainence looks like when appraising a piece of equipment.

Go with your gut! Something looks like junk - it probably is! That said - if you have the time and the skills to put everything back together again - you can find some "diamonds in the rough"!

IMHO - stick with 4x4 - sounds like you'll need it on your place. And drop down a notch or two with tractor size. You can do everything that you have planned with 50hp @ pto. My personal preference (especially with loader work) is to go with a synchro transmission. Reverser if you can find one that's reasonably priced would be a good thing too.

AKfish

/ Looking at JD 2140 4x4, Cab, Loader #8  
AH64,

For what it's worth, I think you can look at a much smaller machine.

Having spent most of my time on either a 4020, 3020 or 2020, a JD 4020 is around 90 horse and you have to climb two steps every time you get onto it. Even a JD 2020 will move bales and run a baler and is a LOT easier to get on and off it's gonna be your everyday tractor on 17 acres.

4WD is really nice and you'll probably wish you had it at some time, but guys get by with 2WD all the time with these bigger, older tractors.

Once you start looking you'll find the older JD 20 series everywhere, and sometimes you can find a pretty good deal too.

Joe

How many SCVs will I need? Is this important when considering a tractor?

I'm finally starting to figure out the transmisson variants you discussed. I'm looking at a lot of 5xxx variants. Machine finder has been helpful with its compare page.

Is there any preference for engine configuration? 3 cyl, 4 cycl, 5 cyl, turbo or non-turbo, in reliability, cost of repairs, etc.

Last edited:
   / Looking at JD 2140 4x4, Cab, Loader #10  
Well, it's sure nice to have those SCV's - and an expensive PITA - to put them on after-the-fact!

Most disc mowers need one set at the rear. And if you ever plan to operate a mower/conditioner or maybe a big round baler having 2 sets at the rear is most often required.

Depending upon the size of the cutter and the bale size for those implements - you'll need to be in the 65hp @ pto size range of tractors, at a minimum.

Turbo adds some complexity to the engine - but the tradeoff of greater power (reserve power - torque rise) and fuel efficiency - can make them worthwhile. However, for your needs (no heavy field work; discing, plowing, etc.) - you might want to stick with normal aspiration.

Odd cylinder number engines tend to be smoother running but with counter-balancing crankshafts, etc.; I've never seen that they're any more reliable than the 4,6 cylinder engines. 'Course bigger usually means more fuel thru the pump, too...

AKfish