cant decide which Deere, or Deeres, suit my needs

/ cant decide which Deere, or Deeres, suit my needs #1  
Tractor
1941 John Deere B electric start
bit of a dilemma here, I have a 40HP New Holland 2310, a couple years old. it's OK, not a thing wrong with it, but I hate that it's naturally aspirated, the powerband is very narrow and it's jerky to operate when doing any real work like brush hogging or plowing. it can barely drag a 2 bottom set of plows. I have about 40 acres, of which a few acres are used to grow corn, potatoes, and other veggies, the rest is leased. eventually I'd like to kick my lessee out and farm all my land.

I need something small enough to run my small category 1 potato machines (planter, hiller and digger) and plow my driveway with a blade, yet something big enough to eventually plow, plant and harvest the rest of my acreage. would a 4520 be up to the task? I want to run a 7' haybine, small square baler, and most important, pull a 7-8' mulch finisher. my dad bought the 2310 and thinks its perfect for what we're doing now. I want something with more power and weight and a turbo, yet don't want something too big. I can either get a 4520, or a 3520 for the small stufff and, say a 5065E for the bigger stuff. this is a little ways down the road of course, but I really have my sights set on a 5E. what do you think? would I be happy with the 4520? I still feel I'd want something bigger.

/ cant decide which Deere, or Deeres, suit my needs #2  
If you're looking ahead and are fairly determined to work all your 40 acres - go for the 5065E - don't waste time with a 4520 (and money).

Dollar-wise, it's not that much of a jump to the 5000 series machine from the 4520. The biggest cost might just be the implements - CAT I vs CAT II. You might find that a number of the pieces you currently have won't handle what the 5065E dishes out...

AKfish

/ cant decide which Deere, or Deeres, suit my needs #3  
Since you have a 40hp tractor already I agree that the second tractor should be larger than the 4520. I would look for a 70 to 100 hp tractor which could be a simple gear tractor with Cat II implements and as AKfish mentioned the implements can be costly.

I am considering a 6115 for the ranch work but not sure if I want to spend the money needed for tractor AND implements.:( Just not sure if the livestock will chip in enough.;)

Very satisfied with the 4520 I have and will keep it for the close quarter work I do in town. My brother pointed out to me the other day that if I could get the much larger and older 4520 that these two would make a good pair.:D

/ cant decide which Deere, or Deeres, suit my needs
this is to replace the NH... would a 4520 or 4720 drag an 8' mulch finisher?

MF-1208.jpg

/ cant decide which Deere, or Deeres, suit my needs #5  
Look for yourself... Attachments for John Deere equipment

The size of those tandem discs would lead me to believe that pulling an 8' single-row disc with a spring-tooth harrow would be a "walk in the field"!

Load up that 4520 with all the wheel weights you can buy and turn that dirt black! :thumbsup:

AKfish

/ cant decide which Deere, or Deeres, suit my needs #6  
I do not have a lot of experience with farming implements on these 4000 series machines, but from what you say the 4000 series is up to the job. These machines weigh about 3700 pounds dry, but can be ballasted up to nearly 5000 pounds without attachments. To me, this would be important for controlling field implements. I have no concern about the power. The 4000 series tractors are very powerful. They would power about any implement you would want and have excellent drawbar pull. I have had two 4520's and they never cease to amaze me with their engine performance. They are fine machines and unless you went to full on farming here would serve you well.

John M

/ cant decide which Deere, or Deeres, suit my needs #7  
this is to replace the NH... would a 4520 or 4720 drag an 8' mulch finisher?

MF-1208.jpg

I think so since I have the 3pt cultivator (PC 1072) and it pulls well with my 4520. I think the highest draft load I encounter is with my 7' boxblade which is the Frontier bb1284(built by Woods Gannon), 1250 lbs with hydraulic teeth and over 30 cuft capacity. Much harder to pull than the mulcher in your picture.

My 4520 cab with full front and rear iron weights weighs about 5,500lbs and I have R4 tires on it. You could get more traction with R1 tires if needed.

/ cant decide which Deere, or Deeres, suit my needs #8  
I agree. Unless our OP has a strong desire or need to go with R4 tires the R1's make a big difference. I tried a set on my second 3720 which came with R4 tires and it pulled much better with the unloaded R1's than it did with loaded R4's. I ultimately traded back because I had to run on some finished lawn but for absolute traction there was no comparison.

John M

/ cant decide which Deere, or Deeres, suit my needs #9  
R4s suck in the mud.

R1s are hard to beat.

What other implements will you be using?

FEL?

D.

/ cant decide which Deere, or Deeres, suit my needs
been preoccupied with farmin' ...I sat on a 5075E, talk about not very ergonomic. don't think I want one of those. I am all but sold on a 4520 cab, I suppose Deere will have something else out by the time I can justify buying one. would love a lil Deere and a big Deere but just can't justify two machines right now or in the foreseeable future.

The 4000 series tractors are very powerful. They would power about any implement you would want and have excellent drawbar pull. I have had two 4520's and they never cease to amaze me with their engine performance. They are fine machines and unless you went to full on farming here would serve you well.

this is the answer I was looking for. my 2310 is physically big enough for most everything I need to do, but just doesn't have the power without a turbocharger. just for giggles I hooked it to a 10' disc and it pulled it with the drawbar, though very slowly.

I agree. Unless our OP has a strong desire or need to go with R4 tires the R1's make a big difference.

my 2310 has R1s, I'd never use anything else in the fields. every 4x20 I see has R4s though, R1s must not be very common. I use it quite a bit in the snow too so I never even gave R4s a thought.

What other implements will you be using?

FEL?

FEL is a must, use it all the time, other than that, plowing snow, small tillage, planting and spraying, harvesting and raking gravel (not pictured yet)

23690_1421886987941_1255703975_1192068_3380639_n.jpg

20056_1317371255113_1255703975_919679_6398573_n.jpg

29962_1455320223751_1255703975_1271246_179202_n.jpg

37403_1511476747629_1255703975_1421048_1767839_n.jpg