4000 series CUT vs 5000 Utility

/ 4000 series CUT vs 5000 Utility #1  

bucktaker

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
I am researching a replacement tractor to last me the remainder of my life currently 46
I am comparing a 5045e to 4320 cut I am sure either tractor would do my typical tractor chores. rough cut mowing, grading, loader wk around my 10 ac funny farm. But I wonder if the CUT with electronics sensors and controls would cost more in repairs over the life of the unit.
And if the need arose would the 5045e really be able to do more HD work?

Both would be similar with loaders, power reverser for the cut and 9/3 gear,
rear remotes, adjustable links, r1 tires

Any one with repair history on the 4000 series and or the 5000 series?

/ 4000 series CUT vs 5000 Utility #2  
I had to think about your questions for some time before posting.

In the past tractors were simpler for sure with less features available than the newer tractors, changes in models were less frequent too. For most of the large manufacturers the tractors were built in the US and parts were available for a longer length of time. I have an 820 utility tractor and most of the parts are still available for it but not all of them. I should add that this tractor even though it is about 35 years old is a German built 3 cylinder model. This has been a good basic tractor and is still in good condition today.

Moving to the present day I have currently a 110tlb 2005 model with about 700 hrs on it and a 4520 2009 model with about 200 hrs. Both with ehydro transmissions. These machines are both more complex than the older 820 but are much more user friendly too. Problems with all three of these tractors has been minimal.

I have had lots of tractors large and small over the last 35 or 40 years and can say that most all of them have been good. I like yourself am more concerned about what the future will hold. I have reservations about expecting the newer tractors to have long term parts availability as compared to the past, and that goes for all manufacturers. That said I am not going to assume that the tractor I buy today will be around with parts still available for it 35 years from now. It would be good to know how long you are planning on living?:D.

I can tell you this much though, having the newer models with ehydro, top and tilt, IMatch hitch, high power to weight ratio and a nice cab make a big difference in how pleasant they are to operate. In my view being able to manuever a tractor in close quarters with ease is very important and would rule out the 5045e which does not offer a reverser tranny.

My choice for a 10 acre place would be similar to what I have now and would caution you not to believe that buying a simpler tractor will insure it will last longer or have fewer problems. The real problem facing the long term lifespan of future tractors will be parts availability not their durability IMHO.

/ 4000 series CUT vs 5000 Utility #3  
I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. I opted for the 5000 tractor for a few reasons

1. The 5000 was simpler and heavier. I have zero evidence that the 5000 is more reliable, but simple is intuitively pleasing to me.

2. I don't have any obstacles or maneuverablity concerns on my property.

3. I grew up on hydro, but I don't mind gears.

4. When it comes to moving snow, there is no such thing as too big.

5. I can run any of the "estate" sized implements without every giving tractor capacity a second thought.

6. The 5000 series tractors were cheaper.

Here are some numbers from January of this year.

From the Deere Configurator:

$32,629 -- 4720 Open Station
$40,499 -- 4720 Cab
$24,474 -- 5065E MFWD

/ 4000 series CUT vs 5000 Utility #4  
I am researching a replacement tractor to last me the remainder of my life currently 46...............

How long do you expect that to be?

/ 4000 series CUT vs 5000 Utility

Well that is the million dollar question :D

Guys Thanks for your replies and I think you hit the nail on the head. Parts will be discontinued faster and go obsolete way before they had in the past.
Which is one reason I am sticking to JD or possibley Kubota.

Both 4000 cuts and ut 5000 been around for a few years what has been typical mean time between repairs are we going 500-2500 hrs ?
Who has the most hours on their 4000 or 5000 series?

/ 4000 series CUT vs 5000 Utility #6  
I have a 5105 which is similar to the 5045. I have been very pleased with mine and have used both 6' and 8' 3PT disk and pull a 6' cutter. I like the size of this tractor and if changing anything, I would add the 4WD option. I imagine either one would do the job for you, but I too tend to lean toward simplicity.

/ 4000 series CUT vs 5000 Utility #7  
I have had the 5045e now for a year and am very happy with its performance on 20 hilly acres. FEL, MX6 bushhog, 7ft boxblade. I am still learning about this tractor, but overall I really like it. Has easily done everything I have asked of it with now over 200 hours. Can't speak about future parts yet, but I have confidence a dealer will help me when needed. The "four wheel drive" has proven its worth numerous times. This is a fun toy.:)

/ 4000 series CUT vs 5000 Utility #8  

If the odds are short... Don't hold back now!!! Get EVERYTHING!! :thumbsup:

My experience is if you use your tractor with a measure of sense and keep everything up to snuff on hourly maintainance - you shouldn't have to worry about anything for several thousand hours - not a few hundred hours.

With either a 4000 or 5000 series machine.

AKfish

/ 4000 series CUT vs 5000 Utility #9  
I have 430 hours on my 2005 4720 and it has been trouble free so far.

/ 4000 series CUT vs 5000 Utility #10  
I am researching a replacement tractor to last me the remainder of my life currently 46
I am comparing a 5045e to 4320 cut I am sure either tractor would do my typical tractor chores. rough cut mowing, grading, loader wk around my 10 ac funny farm. But I wonder if the CUT with electronics sensors and controls would cost more in repairs over the life of the unit.
And if the need arose would the 5045e really be able to do more HD work?

Both would be similar with loaders, power reverser for the cut and 9/3 gear,
rear remotes, adjustable links, r1 tires

Any one with repair history on the 4000 series and or the 5000 series?

I own both a 4520 cab and a 5525 cab.

Unless you are doing some serious loader work or wanting to use some high PTO implements the 4320 would be fine.

I had a 4720 open station and it was a good tractor - pretty much no problems.

4520 cab have had for 2 years in August. I have had a couple issue: ECM and AC went out.

5525 has been very good. Only not my fault problem was a AC switch.

There pros and cons with both machines.

D.