Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #31  
Wouldn't be the first time a loader frame got sprung. Deere does sell a QA front blade for the loader so I guess they have some confidence in the loader frame.

I think Deere has ALOT MORE confidence in their parts and repair (dealership) network...

If you've ever had a pickup with a snowplow attachment and experienced that "microsecond of clarity" just before the right corner of the blade snagged a buried stump... :eek:

The boom arms on a FEL are very long levers -- I think I'd rather have a frame-mount blade and either drop the loader in early winter or adapt the FEL frame (dirtworksequip posted a great thread on his fabrication job for his 3520 cab tractor) to accept a front blade.

AKfish

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #32  
I think Deere has ALOT MORE confidence in their parts and repair (dealership) network...

If you've ever had a pickup with a snowplow attachment and experienced that "microsecond of clarity" just before the right corner of the blade snagged a buried stump... :eek:

The boom arms on a FEL are very long levers -- I think I'd rather have a frame-mount blade and either drop the loader in early winter or adapt the FEL frame (dirtworksequip posted a great thread on his fabrication job for his 3520 cab tractor) to accept a front blade.

AKfish

Confidence in their parts, and microsecond of clarity! Nice post AK. Funny!

OUBrew,

You had a blade. You know you wont want to live in Wisconsin without one.
You can find rear blades on craigslist all day long and dirt cheap too.

A cheap rear blade should get you started until you decide to weld up some mounts for the FEL.

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #33  
OUBrew,

You had a blade. You know you wont want to live in Wisconsin without one.
You can find rear blades on craigslist all day long and dirt cheap too.

A cheap rear blade should get you started until you decide to weld up some mounts for the FEL.

Yep...just drive from Appleton, WI to Antigo, WI (about 100 miles NNW of Milwaukee). Seems like every place that had a parking lot had a tractor with a rear blade rigged up. Most didn't have FELs though. Quite a few were old Fords with chains on the rear tires.

BTW, I paid 60 bucks for my ancient 72" rear blade. Heavy sucker too, but it doesn't have all the adjustability of the newer blades. Used to use it all the time, but I use the loader more for snow removal now.

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #34  
BTW, I paid 60 bucks for my ancient 72" rear blade. Heavy sucker too, but it doesn't have all the adjustability of the newer blades. Used to use it all the time, but I use the loader more for snow removal now.

I think I've got about $150 in my rear blade. Quite a bit of that is green spray paint from my local dealer... I think they charge $6.50 for a can, nowadays! :eek:

That's what I use - FEL and rear blade - it's an old JD 45. (It'll angle and even offset, alright - if you want to unbolt the 4 large bolts that mount it to the frame.)

We tend to get enough snow thru the winter that I end up having to move and build big storage piles that a front blade wouldn't be the tool of choice to get the job done.

AKfish

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #35  
While some might not agree, my X585 with a quick attach 54" blade and 47" blower do an excellent job of pushing to the snow to the side then blowing the snow away in a quick manner. I don't have chains or weights but the 4x4 works well. One thing on my side is that we rarely get wet snow. The quick attachement part makes hooking up a breeze, and the ability to move the blade when moving at speed makes the setup very efficient.

I use the FEL on the 2720 in certain areas but not too often, or if I get drifts up to the house.

Attachments

• Tractor purchase March 19 09 022.jpg
    Tractor purchase March 19 09 022.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 232
  • X585 snow plow Dec 09 003.jpg
    X585 snow plow Dec 09 003.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 208
  • X585 snow plow Dec 09 004.jpg
    X585 snow plow Dec 09 004.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 180
   / Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #36  

We tend to get enough snow thru the winter that I end up having to move and build big storage piles that a front blade wouldn't be the tool of choice to get the job done.

AKfish
:)
Be surprised how high the snow can be pushed up with just the front plow blade. Been up to 15-18 ft high. Had a pic here somewhere. Normally just push the snow further back rather than stockpile it tho. :) Grandkids like the high piles for sliding down and playing. So I make several during the winter months.

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #37  
FEL good for moving piles of snow, not plowing it. Blades on front of tractors don't work well. Lift front wheels and get unstable. Tractor tires pack it down before the rear blade gets a chance to move it.

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #38  
...... Blades on front of tractors don't work well. Lift front wheels and get unstable. ......

Can't agree with that statement. Not even close to true. Either float the plow on front or have no down pressure.

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #39  
Ok dumb question, you would think someone would manufacture V shaped insert that inserts into and cover up the front of FEL opening and uses a QW Attach like paynes forks ? FEL in float and away ya go.
For example (excuse me I a not the best artist)

What am I missing , not a good concept?

Attachments

• fel plow.jpg
    fel plow.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
   / Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #40  
Not a bad idea, at least for the first pass down the drive or lane. But winging the snow back doesn't work as well, whereas an angled blade will move more snow.

Your V plow with a side wing on each side might be the ticket. :D

Shown here is a wing I made last winter, showing the first run (actually a slow walk but it will go much faster :) ).
YouTube - Wing_plow.MOV