Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #1  

OUBrew

Any thoughts? I can't afford a blower but have not heard glowing reports of snow removal with FEL.

Thanks

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #2  
You need something that will push the snow to the side. The loader is helpful for moving the piles and some clearing, but you can't push very far before stopping to dump it somewhere. The lowest cost solution is a rear blade on the three point.

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #3  
I got a JD 2305 last fall. I truly need a 5' rear blade, but I found a 6' for a good price. Worked real well, once you get a system down. Then just as JD755 said pile and move everything with the FEL.

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #4  
IMO, can't beat putting a blade on the front. I suffer through using the FEL if caught with an early snowstorm, or a late one. Compared to the blade, it is torture (but better than a shovel :D)

Attachments

• 100_1052 (Large).JPG
    100_1052 (Large).JPG
    177 KB · Views: 596
   / Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #5  
Any thoughts? I can't afford a blower but have not heard glowing reports of snow removal with FEL.

Thanks

What area of the country do you live in? How much snow do you get? What tractor do you have? Clearly a front blade is the nicest to use and I really enjoyed mine. However, in my case the loader and front blade are completely incompatible. Requires removing and replacing a lot of heavy brackets. Some years I never used it. I got tired of the yearly routine very quickly and left the loader on and tried using the box blade for snow. Problem was you can only push so far before turning around to use the blade to move the snow pile. Finally just bought a rear blade with skid shoes. Works fine in conjunction with the loader. Requires looking over your shoulder, but unless you are in a heavy snow belt region, the simplicity of a rear blade may be all you need. BTW I finally sold my hydraulic 380 front blade to someone that cut it up and made brackets to adapt it to a 2520.

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #6  
Depends on where you live and your tractor. I have a 1/4 mile driveway and I live in the mountains. Let me put it to you this way, my farmer friends ask me to plow them out when we get a big storm. You're not going to push, drag or FEL 4 foot drifts very easily. I run blowers. If you're in a snowbelt and have a long driveway that's hilly it's the only way to go and you might have to bite the bullet.
Rob

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #7  
Agree with some of the others rear blade is the cheapest,,,but front blade is much nicer. Blower is great ,for long drives or a lot of snow..
I have front blower ,would never go to rear blower, this past winter one the neighbors having a rear blower and about 3/4mile to 1 mile drive told me as soon as the Kubota dealer could get a front blower he would never have a rear blower again.... There was times this past winter I used front blade, rear blade ,fel ,and front blower..
It just depends on what your willing to pay to make your snow removal a lot easier.

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #8  
It depends on how much snow normally falls (in your area), how much snow removal you do (how long your driveway is), and how much you want to spend.
In my case, we normally see a couple of 6"-8" snows with an occasional heavy dumping in excess of 12". This year was extraordinary with two 15"+ snows back to back (within a week). My drive is gravel (hardpacked) and is between 150' and 180'. I have cleared my neighbor's drive too (longer then mine).
I cannot justify a snowblower..yet. I have a 72" rear blade I used, but I really use the FEL mostly now. Yes, it takes longer...but I'm not really in that much of a hurry. Frankly, I enjoy moving snow.
So, in my case, the FEL is the best method. I'd like to add a FEL mounted front blade, but I don't have the money for that right now.

BTW, I don't wait for the snow to accumulate...once it's 6"-8" deep, I'm out there for the first passes. Since I just replaced my 790 with a larger 4400, I could probably wait until the snow is 8"-10" now. When I get chains (I'll need 'em since the tires are turfs now, rather then the industrials I had on the 790), I could wait until the snow finishes.

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #9  
I use a rear blower, but that's slow going for my long drive.

I rigged a homemade front plow that covers my tracks when positioned at 45 degs and it's great for minor events, fast and easy.
Good generally up to 4 ins or so events.

For major events I use a rear blower and get rid of the white stuff.
Also blow the plowed rows when rhey start to accumulate enough to throttle down my drive.

With a pusher blade you need to start the season really wide as later you will run out of space.

FEL is one excersize in frustration, doable but slow and real bad when snow is wet.

/ Snow Push vs FEL for snow removal #10  
With a pusher blade you need to start the season really wide as later you will run out of space.

Or build a wing plow to go with the front blade :D

Attachments

• 100_1588 (Medium).JPG
    100_1588 (Medium).JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 759