To cab or not to cab?

/ To cab or not to cab? #31  
Trust me...I love checking out and posting on TBN...but when it comes to making a decision on a tractor, I make my own decision. And, you guys got to do the same...
+1 Hey, I'm just happy to have a tractor & TBN period.

/ To cab or not to cab? #32  
Making your own decision is fine, but there aint nothing wrong with asking other folks what their experiences are first (as the OP did), and useing some of that info to help make a better informed choice. That is the main reason we have forums such as this. On any issue, no matter how clear cut it seems, there will always be folks on both sides. In the end, the purchaser must make thier own decision, but this forum helps them quickly get much of the info on both sides first. They are the one and only who must seperate the wheat from the chaff however, and there will usually be plenty of each on this or any internet forum. I have seen everything here from folks claiming a tricycle front tractor was more stable than a wide front, hydro transmissions were better than gear for ground engaging work, 2wd's are better than 4wd for loader work, gear trans is better for lawnmowing, it just dont matter, someone will always cut against the grain, and I strongly suspect that many are just looking to provoke arguments. I am in the middle on the cab issue and would buy one myself on a tractor over 100 hp, or if I needed to use a snowblower, but for most CUT usage, I think they are a big waste of money.

/ To cab or not to cab? #33  
Gee, don't know what to say:confused:

Having both cab and canopy the dust, snow and rain never seem to come down vertically. While I like the canopy and shade you are still out in the inclement weather.

/ To cab or not to cab? #34  
dmay: You said that a cab tractor "offers marginal protection from the woods or falling objects." I did a post with pictures of a outbuilding collapsing on my JD 4520 cab tractor. I was pretty amazed at how it held up. There are four posts and metal connecting them at the top. The protection is probably as good as my open station Kubota B21 with four posts and FOPS protection. So I'm thinking the focus here is not cab vs. OS, but, FOPS vs. ROPS.

I love my open station Kubota B21 TLB because the sorts of things I do with it tend to require my getting off the tractor a lot. It's low to the ground, and one-step with no ducking to get in.

I love my cab JD4520 which I use for mowing, typically 3 hours sessions about every two weeks or so. I also do some box blade and grader work, and get out of the cab a bit more then when mowing but it's worth it. Got the cab because I could afford it and the older I get the more I wanted it. Now when I mow, I can do something with the rest of the day and not have my eyes filled with crud for 24 hours. My mowing time is cut in half, and the difference in the seat (air cushion vs. seat on my JD 318 garden tractor) is a real life saver.

So once again here in tractor land it's what do you do, what can you afford, time and money trade offs, and do what works you you.

But I suspect no one will believe me, after all I'm a Kubota and Deere loving Cab or OS transplanted yankee weekend warrior tractor user :laughing:.

Pete

/ To cab or not to cab? #35  
The one thing I KNOW that I'm going to miss with my (Aug. delivery) cabbed CUT is my present ability to STAND UP while operating my present 1020 to get a better look-see. However, at my age I'm looking forward to the creature comforts, and decided the trade-off was well worth it.

Vince

/ To cab or not to cab? #36  
The one thing I KNOW that I'm going to miss with my (Aug. delivery) cabbed CUT is my present ability to STAND UP while operating my present 1020 to get a better look-see. However, at my age I'm looking forward to the creature comforts, and decided the trade-off was well worth it.

Vince

Good point to mention, I can stand up in my 110tlb with the Laurin cab but the seat switch would stop the motion.:(

/ To cab or not to cab? #38  
I think its funny how people talk about how bad cabs are in the woods. I was in the woods last night with mine cutting down some thick brush that I have let go too long. I was more less making mulch with the MX5.. Anyway, I was thinking then about how hard this would be with my old open station. First off the bugs were crazy, but the branches were everywhere. My 3720 open station was much taller with the ROPS than my cab. Plus the rops would pull and push the branches into my head all the time. I was able to fit under trees that I was not able to before. Now I will say that I did watch my work lights to make sure they were not ripped off, but other than that, it was all business.

Out of all the tractors we have on the farm, only 2 do not have cabs, and one has a canopy. Honestly, the only job I do not mind doing with the canopy is trenching. Its usually cooler when trenching due to the season, there are no bugs, its dry and not dusty, and I can get on and off the tractor very easily. But thats only twice a year.... This tractor is hooked to wagons the rest of the year and the dust from the harvester when doing potatoes, or the dust from corn is not what I think of as fun! I will take our old IH with a cab and no AC before an open station out there any day... Even if its 100 degrees out!

/ To cab or not to cab? #39  
When I dug up a yellow jacket nest last summer and 7 of those demons lit me up I sure wished I had a cab.

/ To cab or not to cab? #40  
If you ever had a bottle of ether fall off you dash and discharge inside your cab, as my buddy did a few years ago, causing him to nearly loose consiousness and roll his cabbed tractor and towed corn-picker and wagon into a deep roadside ditch, you would sure wish you had an open-station. I doubt that old boy will ever buy another cabbed model. He still has nightmares over that mess of broken glass, twisted sheetmetal, and cob-corn. Just goes to show that for every horror prevented by a cab, there is another caused by one.