Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4520 w/ cab and FEL

Default To cab or not to cab?

I can get a cab on the desired tractor I want or I can get one without. Any reason not to get one? It's about $2500 more for the cab with heat and air. I like the open air feel of tractors and for me this would be the only downside, but I can see during hot days like we have now (and cold ones) where a cab would come in handy. Is this a no brainer...get the cab?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3000

Default Re: To cab or not to cab?

With no mention of what you intend to use the tractor for (primarily), we can only leave it up to you. Personally, I would never justify $2500 for a cab unless it was used primarily for a row crop/hay tractor.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4520 w/ cab and FEL

What I'll do with it...a little of everything like most people probably. Bushog, use FEL to move trees, plant food plots....etc.

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HD-12 2010

I would have loved getting a cab. Heat and A/C during winter and summer would be great! I can always open the windows if I want fresh air.

Here were my reasons for getting a ROPS instead:

Money. I would have had to give up other options to pay for the cab.
    Storage. I have to fold down my ROPS to get my tractor in my garage. Eventually I will have a shed, but for now I have to use my garage. Keeping it outside is NOT an option!

Now that I have been using it (I just bought it a few weeks ago), I am even happier I went with ROPS. I have to manuever around many trees and I wouldn't have been able to get into areas had I bought a cab.

If you can afford it, store it AND don't have obstructions in the way... I say go for the cab!
    Kubota M8540HD12-1 (2010), R4s with 3 Sets of Weights, 2 Remotes (SCD & FD), Rear Work Light and Down Exhaust
    Kubota LA1353 FEL with QA 72" Bucket, Self Leveling Valve and 3rd Function Remote
    CCM Category II Hydraulic Toplink with Flow Restrictors
    Kubota QA 48" Pallet Forks
    Kubota M8180 Ballast Box filled with concrete (1,800 lb)
    Land Pride QH-20 Quick Hitch
    Land Pride RCR2672 6' Rotary Cutter
    Land Pride GS2596 8' Grading Scraper
    BAC Industries BG-10 Post/Tree Puller

Tractor
    JD 5203, JD 3720, JD 4110, JD 445, IH 1586, IH 886, IH 404......

For me, the dowside is missing out on getting real dirty every time I use the tractor. Or I could get cold and wet in the winter. Or I would have to worry about bees, or wasps, or allergies... Or I would have to listen to the radio while I work and be comfortable no matter the weater.. I would hate to miss out on all that, so I would never get a cab.

Tractor
    Kubota M8540HD-12 2010

Quote Originally Posted by nmu98 View Post
    For me, the dowside is missing out on getting real dirty every time I use the tractor. Or I could get cold and wet in the winter. Or I would have to worry about bees, or wasps, or allergies... Or I would have to listen to the radio while I work and be comfortable no matter the weater.. I would hate to miss out on all that, so I would never get a cab.
    Awesome!
    Kubota M8540HD12-1 (2010), R4s with 3 Sets of Weights, 2 Remotes (SCD & FD), Rear Work Light and Down Exhaust
    Kubota LA1353 FEL with QA 72" Bucket, Self Leveling Valve and 3rd Function Remote
    CCM Category II Hydraulic Toplink with Flow Restrictors
    Kubota QA 48" Pallet Forks
    Kubota M8180 Ballast Box filled with concrete (1,800 lb)
    Land Pride QH-20 Quick Hitch
    Land Pride RCR2672 6' Rotary Cutter
    Land Pride GS2596 8' Grading Scraper
    BAC Industries BG-10 Post/Tree Puller

Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

Personally, I would go with a cab.. However, I have nearly 600 hours on my 110 in 2 years use. And, I've just taken on an additional 10 acres of hay ground - that needs to be fertilized twice per season, sprayed for weeds 1-2 times per year and mowed, raked, tedded, and baled.

So, the tractor hours will be adding up..

If you can afford it and expect to spend a fair bit of time using your tractor when it's hot, dusty, or cold, wet, and windy - buy the cab!

You won't be kicking yourself every time you turn up the AC or dial up the heater! But, you will be grumpy every time you crawl off that seat and every joint is stiff with the cold or sticky with sweat!

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520

There is nothing like burning up or freezing to death! Speaks for itself.

Tractor
    2010 JD2320

Quote Originally Posted by scrimshaw33 View Post
    I can get a cab on the desired tractor I want or I can get one without. Any reason not to get one? It's about $2500 more for the cab with heat and air...
    Switched around, do you have any reason to get a cab? Also what factory cab with heat and air is only +$2,500.00?

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Cabs, like HST, are for the girly boys...unmanly men who cannot hack real life.

Other then that, I'd be concerned about all that weight above the axle unless those tasks were as MMagis wrote...row crops and such like that which are on mostly level areas with no obstructions. The 3720 series machines (which is what I think scrimshaw33 is going to buy) are known for that tippiness.
    So scrimshaw33, if you do give up your testicles and buy a cab (after all, it is your money)...get those rear tires filled and at the widest position.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; 06-29-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast