Question about a John Deere 955

/ Question about a John Deere 955 #1  

fossilfinder

Tractor
John Deere 955
My hubby is looking for a tractor to use for driveway cleaning in the winter and for plowing and cultivating a small garden for ourselves and possibly to sell a bit of the extras (maybe an acre or so). We have 8 acres to clear but would just use this as a utility tractor otherwise.
Question--- Would this tractor be able to pull a one or two bottom plow? He seems to think that he needs much more hp but likes the size of this tractor.

Last edited:
   / Question about a John Deere 955 #2  
I'd suggest a rototiller instead for gardening use. AND, you ought to have a front loader for soil transfer and other lifting needs and of course, the snow plow ! What the heck, a rear finish mower, too. This is a great sized tractor which both of you can easily operate. Post hole digger to add fences ... ? 3-pt sprayer for bug and weed control ?

/ Question about a John Deere 955 #3  
Question--- Would this tractor be able to pull a one or two bottom plow? He seems to think that he needs much more hp but likes the size of this tractor.

Depends on your soil. I know my FIL pulls a "trailer type" 2 bottom JD plow with his 955 no problem in his garden.

zzvyb6 is onto something though, unless you already have the plow, a Tiller might be the way to go. I have a tiller and it does everything I need. On the other hand my FIL plants a cover crop in the fall....plows in the spring, and then a couple weeks later will till with his tiller when its time to plant. So he uses both.