JD 5055E vs Kubota MX 5100

/ JD 5055E vs Kubota MX 5100 #1  

jfh0jfh

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, JD 710, Case 450
Looking at 45-55 HP tractors and down to the JD 5055 E vs Kub 5100. 4WD w/ FEL and extra remotes ~ $26,500 (or ~ $11,500 + my JD 4310). I don't care for the NHs in that range; I haven't looked at Mahindra etc.

The Kub MXs seem to have balance problems - you have to load the rear tires to carry heavy loads n the FEL.

The 5055E is made in Pune. I've had good luck w/ JD and Kubota.

Any feedback on price or mechanical pro-con of the two tractors?

/ JD 5055E vs Kubota MX 5100 #2  
Looking at 45-55 HP tractors and down to the JD 5055 E vs Kub 5100. 4WD w/ FEL and extra remotes ~ $26,500 (or ~ $11,500 + my JD 4310). I don't care for the NHs in that range; I haven't looked at Mahindra etc.

The Kub MXs seem to have balance problems - you have to load the rear tires to carry heavy loads n the FEL.

I'm just curious, are they both $26500?

/ JD 5055E vs Kubota MX 5100
Yes, the Kub and the JD with identical options per my spec are ~ $26,500. One is $26.7 I think and the other $26.4 but both have agreed to move some on price.

These are my lowest quotes. I have others ~ $1800 higher.

When I bought my current JD new I had quotes in a $3200 range. went to the closest dealer one final time and they refused to move.

I'm just curious, are they both $26500?

/ JD 5055E vs Kubota MX 5100 #4  

I have several brands and I would recommend doing this on just about any tractor with FEL, this is not unique to the MX5100.

Sorry, I don't have experience with either tractor.

/ JD 5055E vs Kubota MX 5100 #5  
i have a 5203 which is basically the same thing as a 5055E. good basic, no nonsense, reliable tractor in my opinion. it's basically an entry level utility tractor. you get a sync-shuttle transmission, 56 or in your case 55 turbocharged horses from one of the most reliable engines Deere has ever produced(2.9L Powertech), pretty decent hydraulics and some other features that some don't consider "fancy" but i do. if i had to give any flaws to this tractor it would be poor paint job on the rims(too thin of a coat in my opinion but i've thickened mine using John Deere color matched spray paint), 4wd can be a pain to engage sometimes, some have had trouble with the 3 pt lift getting stuck...i never have though, opt for the larger rear tires if you can (16.9x28 over the standard 14.9x28). both are very good choices but i have no experience with the Kubota.

/ JD 5055E vs Kubota MX 5100 #6  
I'd say that while doing loader work you need to have rear ballast of some kind! Just the weight of the loader to begin with changes a proper balance of the tractor!

Three point hitch if you are looking for easily lightening a tractor for yard work or wheel weights or loaded tires as a more expensive more way to go.

I'd take the time to listen to the engines for the noise level. Shift up and down through the gears!
You might enjoy driving one a lot more then the other!

Thanks all for the comments on the loaded tires. I understand the idea of these and FEL work.

I've owned FEL tractors (mostly JD, some older Ford) and I've never loaded the tires. Ever. I've used tractors w/ loaded tires and they are m,ore stable for FEL work eg. you can run faster with a load higher up, But you're not supposed to do that anyway.

I have a JD 4310 now. Tires aren't loaded. I run it often with a full FEL. Last week backing out of a pond with a full load of wet clay. No problem.

Loaded tires tear you up on rough ground - which I mow - and, net, I'm not loading my tires.

It's an engineering issue to me. The Kubota's ergonomics are much better than the JD's but the poor balance of the Kub puts me off. There are some threads on it here including one from a gent who will never buy Kub again because of the poor balance - he had a near accident.

Thanks again.

i have a 5203 which is basically the same thing as a 5055E. good basic, no nonsense, reliable tractor in my opinion. it's basically an entry level utility tractor. you get a sync-shuttle transmission, 56 or in your case 55 turbocharged horses from one of the most reliable engines Deere has ever produced(2.9L Powertech), pretty decent hydraulics and some other features that some don't consider "fancy" but i do. if i had to give any flaws to this tractor it would be poor paint job on the rims(too thin of a coat in my opinion but i've thickened mine using John Deere color matched spray paint), 4wd can be a pain to engage sometimes, some have had trouble with the 3 pt lift getting stuck...i never have though, opt for the larger rear tires if you can (16.9x28 over the standard 14.9x28). both are very good choices but i have no experience with the Kubota.

Thanks. That's a good tip on the tires. I wasn't sure if the extra $s were worth it. Now I think I will go with the bigger ones - if I go with the D.

Is your 5203 made in Pune also?

I like the 5055 but the ergonomics are clumsy. The Kub is nicer to operate but a lot (> 1K pounds) lighter and has poor balance for the FEL. I'm not going to load my tires. I'll make a counterweight out of my old diving weights 1st.

/ JD 5055E vs Kubota MX 5100 #9  
Here are some specs if you are interested...

/ JD 5055E vs Kubota MX 5100 #10  
Thanks. That's a good tip on the tires. I wasn't sure if the extra $s were worth it. Now I think I will go with the bigger ones - if I go with the D.

Is your 5203 made in Pune also?

I like the 5055 but the ergonomics are clumsy. The Kub is nicer to operate but a lot (> 1K pounds) lighter and has poor balance for the FEL. I'm not going to load my tires. I'll make a counterweight out of my old diving weights 1st.

yep, made in a Deere factory in Pune, India. i was skeptical about that at first but soon came not to be a problem for me for several reasons. if they had quality control issues due to being made in india Deere would not have stuck with this same series of tractor since 2004 to now. it's hard to sell a product that's junk and keep it successful for that long, plus i have yet to see a post on here where this series of tractor is junk. few problems here and there but what machine doesn't have those? never seen or read anything major though. i agree the positing of the seat in reference to the steering wheel could be better, but the location of the controls is almost perfect for me. engaging the 4wd could and should be easier as well. one thing to keep in mind, some dealers will not sell you a tractor with fel without loading the rear tires. i know mine won't due to being liable if an accident occurs.