3320 vs 3520 & hydro vs reverser

/ 3320 vs 3520 & hydro vs reverser #1  

area123

basically I have 3 choices from the dealer. 3520 w/ hydro for 21750, 3320 w/ hyrdo for 20275, or w/ reverser for about $800 less.

I am actually considering the 3520 but is it worth the $1500 just for the extra 5hp? I will be running mainly a 5' brush hog and a 5' box blade, and a pto tiller for gardening so I don't think I need the extra 5 horses for that really, everything else is the same as far as lift capacities & weight, etc. I know it is a turbo vs non turbo on the 3320. Is it worth it for the little extra hp alone?

I don't think I"m really considering the reverser although on the 3320 the hyrdo will take a month to get and I don't want to wait that long.. So it's really a 3520 hydro or 3320 reverser.

/ 3320 vs 3520 & hydro vs reverser #2  
You've really kind of convinced yourself, haven't you?

As far as the reverser vs hydro...well, a reverser is pretty quick and you don't need cruise control or keep your foot on the hydro go pedals. All the tasks you've listed require a steady speed...just up the reverser's alley.

Now, your decision...want the reverser or do you want to wait that month? Choose wisely....you'll have this machine a long time.

/ 3320 vs 3520 & hydro vs reverser #3  
You've really kind of convinced yourself, haven't you?

As far as the reverser vs hydro...well, a reverser is pretty quick and you don't need cruise control or keep your foot on the hydro go pedals. All the tasks you've listed require a steady speed...just up the reverser's alley.

Now, your decision...want the reverser or do you want to wait that month? Choose wisely....you'll have this machine a long time.

Yep.....I wanted a Hydro....and waited to find a good one...passing by a few good PR's during my search. IMMEDIATELY upon buying my Hydro, I injured my back....and now I cannot operate the Hydro without unbearable leg pain. :laughing::laughing: Ironic....I could be operating the PR tractor. :ashamed:

As Rosanna Rosanna Danna sez.....it's always something! ;)

/ 3320 vs 3520 & hydro vs reverser #4  

I'm going to disagree with you on this one Roy. It seems to me for bush hogging / tilling and constant PTO speed is required with many variations in speed as one starts / stops / maneuvers. I think even for box blading a serious argument exists in favor of the eHydro.

I just finished mowing 2 acres. Set the PTO speed and after that ground speed was fast / slow / stop whatever required. Unless I totally misunderstand Power Reverser and I thought I test drove a MF with one, I just can't picture mowing / bush hogging with the engine running at constant PTO speed, selecting one (ore more gears) that is going to produce some set forward speed and then having to push in the clutch every time I needed to slow down for anything.

Maybe it has happened, but I just don't recall any one on TBN who bought a Hydro and then said - "I wish I'd gotten the Power Reverser instead"

Anyway - just an opinion, but it's mine and I'm sticking to it.

/ 3320 vs 3520 & hydro vs reverser #5  
I have a 3720 cab with eHydro. Which I have fallen in love with. I really wanted the cab, (you can only get the cab with the eHydro) most of my work is ether plowing snow or mowing fields. In general I don't like the idea of "automatic" vehicles. I have two Ford F-350 with 6 speed manual and would not have it any other way. But after mowing and being able to vary speed with out slipping the clutch or letting the mower slow down. In my opinion the eHydro is the way to go.

/ 3320 vs 3520 & hydro vs reverser #6  
I would go with the 3520 and the ehydro and never look back. On a compact tractor the ehydro is a great asset.

/ 3320 vs 3520 & hydro vs reverser #7  
basically I have 3 choices from the dealer. 3520 w/ hydro for 21750, 3320 w/ hyrdo for 20275, or w/ reverser for about $800 less.

I am actually considering the 3520 but is it worth the $1500 just for the extra 5hp? I will be running mainly a 5' brush hog and a 5' box blade, and a pto tiller for gardening so I don't think I need the extra 5 horses for that really, everything else is the same as far as lift capacities & weight, etc. I know it is a turbo vs non turbo on the 3320. Is it worth it for the little extra hp alone?

I don't think I"m really considering the reverser although on the 3320 the hyrdo will take a month to get and I don't want to wait that long.. So it's really a 3520 hydro or 3320 reverser.

For the price that you list, what options does the 3520 have?

ehydro is well worth the money..:thumbsup:

/ 3320 vs 3520 & hydro vs reverser #8  
I'm going to disagree with you on this one Roy. It seems to me for bush hogging / tilling and constant PTO speed is required with many variations in speed as one starts / stops / maneuvers. I think even for box blading a serious argument exists in favor of the eHydro.

I just finished mowing 2 acres. Set the PTO speed and after that ground speed was fast / slow / stop whatever required. Unless I totally misunderstand Power Reverser and I thought I test drove a MF with one, I just can't picture mowing / bush hogging with the engine running at constant PTO speed, selecting one (ore more gears) that is going to produce some set forward speed and then having to push in the clutch every time I needed to slow down for anything.

Maybe it has happened, but I just don't recall any one on TBN who bought a Hydro and then said - "I wish I'd gotten the Power Reverser instead"

Anyway - just an opinion, but it's mine and I'm sticking to it.

I don't till, but I do brush cut and mow. Until you come to the end of a row (for lack of a better term), there's no need to use the clutch. Unless you have cruise on that hydro, you will need to maintain a pressure on the go pedal. Not so on the gear/PR tranny (throttle is set). No box blade here, but one of my early tasks (several years ago) was redoing the drive with a rear blade. Again, the throttle was set, gear to fit the task selected (remember, you don't have to shift gears...you select a gear for the task and prtty much leave it in that gear) and away I went. Same thing with a field I'd raked...

As far as this comment: "Maybe it has happened, but I just don't recall any one on TBN who bought a Hydro and then said - "I wish I'd gotten the Power Reverser instead"
Well, as much as I enjoy TBN, I don't let others influence my decisions...or select something just because it's "popular"...do you?

But it is your opinion, and you, like all TBNers, are welcome to voice it...

/ 3320 vs 3520 & hydro vs reverser #9  
As far as this comment: "Maybe it has happened, but I just don't recall any one on TBN who bought a Hydro and then said - "I wish I'd gotten the Power Reverser instead"
Well, as much as I enjoy TBN, I don't let others influence my decisions...or select something just because it's "popular"...do you?

But it is your opinion, and you, like all TBNers, are welcome to voice it...

Are you sure about that Roy? When I was growing up everyone had gear tractors, myself included. When you were growing up gear tractors were popular and ehydro was nonexistent. I suspect this drives your resistance to the ehydro because it's not that you have used one for five years and after this amount of time still don't like it.

I will give you this much, the first time I used a PR tranny it was like night and day compared to a crashbox and I felt it was a terrific improvement. Made boxblading much easier to do, increased the tractors manueverability and so forth. Today the ehydro has taken this several steps farther and allows for infinite speed changes in realtime. You really need to spend some time on an ehydro to see what your missing. Recognize that alot of us ehydro fans grew up on gear tractors and if we didn't find the ehydro easier to use we would all be going back to gears.

I did use my 820 for about 6 hrs last week and it worked flawlessly harrowing out the pastures, had a good time with it.:D

/ 3320 vs 3520 & hydro vs reverser #10  
Power Reverser is my choice. How do you brake right / left if you have e-hydro?