eBay/Craigslist John Deere 990 Tractor 4 WD MX 5 Bush Hog Package - $4200 (Elk,WA)

/ John Deere 990 Tractor 4 WD MX 5 Bush Hog Package - $4200 (Elk,WA) #1  

hawkeye08

Elite Member
I was torn between posting this under eBay/Craigslist or Is this a scam?.. I know it is a scam so decided to post under eBay/Craigslist.

I have an orange tractor and really don't know much about these green things, but I know that I am not going to send money.... Good for a laugh.

First email response from "seller"

Hello I'm Carl, sorry for my delay in response, but currently I work on a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico and I have been very busy with my work. Anyway, thank you for your interest in buying the tractor. The total price for my 2006 John Deere 990 Tractor is $4,200 included a heavy duty equipment trailer and box blade package. I wanted to keep the tractor but I left my farm for a better job in Gulf of Mexico, so I decided to sell it. The tractor is in showroom condition, 150 hrs, 40 hp, 4wd.

So if you are interested please email me back so I can explain you how the transaction will work.

Second email response when I asked where I can look at it.

Before I left the city I had prearranged the deal with eBay Motors so my presence in town isn't necessary. The tractor is in their possession in Pittsburgh, PA ready for delivery. You will have 5 days to test drive and inspect the tractor. So if you want to make this deal I need the following information:

Your full name and address
Shipping address (street, city, zip code)
Phone #

Then I will forward them to eBay Motors and I will precede the order. eBay will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal and also to see that I am covered by them and that I am legit seller.

Here is how this deal will work:
1. I will forward the details of our transaction to the eBay Buyer Protection.
2. They will process the paperwork and will email you the Payment Invoice and the transaction details.
3. You will have to submit deposit payment $2,100 so you can prove that you are a serious buyer, as instructed to one of the eBay agents.
4. The payment will be verified and if everything is OK, eBay will deliver the vehicle to your address on my own cost. The vehicle will be shipped insured to your location with Dependable Auto Shippers.
5. After you receive it, you will have 5 days to inspect and test drive the vehicle (you will receive the tractor and title within 2 days right at your address).
6. If you accept the tractor by confirming to eBay, they will release me the money (if not you will receive the full refund of the amount sent before shipping). They will then FedEx overnight the signed title to you and all the tractor documents that you need to register it under your name. If you decide to NOT accept the tractor for any reason, they will refund your full payment price within 48 hours.
They will then make the necessary arrangement to have the tractor picked back up by the transport company.

The ad was still up a little bit ago.

Attachments

• johndeere.JPG
    johndeere.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 877
Last edited:
   / John Deere 990 Tractor 4 WD MX 5 Bush Hog Package - $4200 (Elk,WA) #2  
I work with a guy who got burned for $24,000 in the ebay motors scam. It was for an rv, too good to be true deal. Couldn't believe he sent the money. I don't part with any cash unless I see something first!!!

/ John Deere 990 Tractor 4 WD MX 5 Bush Hog Package - $4200 (Elk,WA) #3  
No offense Hawkeye, but I just don't see the point of post about obvious scams. Just flag it and forget about it.

/ John Deere 990 Tractor 4 WD MX 5 Bush Hog Package - $4200 (Elk,WA)
No offense Hawkeye, but I just don't see the point of post about obvious scams. Just flag it and forget about it.

KennyD, no offense taken. I do flag them and move on, sometimes when bored I will email and see what happens. It is amazing how many folks think it is legit, they feel sorry for the person (usually some story about how it is in storage and they have already made the shipping arrangements, etc).. Had another one recently that the email response was a single mom, lost her husband in accident, just trying to survive... that is why it is so cheap and so on.

So, two reasons, I get a chuckle out of the obvious scams and some folks don't see these as obvious scams so by sharing this, they can see the ad, email responses and maybe avoid sending money and losing it (I know I would hate to lose the money I saved up for a tractor).

Sort of like putting a link to a tutorial in a signature to help people...

/ John Deere 990 Tractor 4 WD MX 5 Bush Hog Package - $4200 (Elk,WA) #5  
KennyD, no offense taken. I do flag them and move on, sometimes when bored I will email and see what happens. It is amazing how many folks think it is legit, they feel sorry for the person (usually some story about how it is in storage and they have already made the shipping arrangements, etc).. Had another one recently that the email response was a single mom, lost her husband in accident, just trying to survive... that is why it is so cheap and so on.

So, two reasons, I get a chuckle out of the obvious scams and some folks don't see these as obvious scams so by sharing this, they can see the ad, email responses and maybe avoid sending money and losing it (I know I would hate to lose the money I saved up for a tractor).

Sort of like putting a link to a tutorial in a signature to help people...

Yes, I kinda understand a little bit...BUT: TBN rules actually prohibit posting links to CL and eBay. The links you posted will be dead in a very short time anyway.

/ John Deere 990 Tractor 4 WD MX 5 Bush Hog Package - $4200 (Elk,WA)
Thanks Kenny, I did not remember about the CL link being prohibited (I removed it so I don't get in any trouble). I attached a screen shot so folks could see the ad... knowing that they don't last too long.

/ John Deere 990 Tractor 4 WD MX 5 Bush Hog Package - $4200 (Elk,WA) #7  
I think letting people know about this is good... yes flag it but until *everyone* knows about these scams... they WILL work... I like the part about "...you will receive the tractor and title..." TRACTORS DON'T HAVE TITLES!!!!

/ John Deere 990 Tractor 4 WD MX 5 Bush Hog Package - $4200 (Elk,WA) #8  
I think letting people know about this is good... yes flag it but until *everyone* knows about these scams... they WILL work... I like the part about "...you will receive the tractor and title..." TRACTORS DON'T HAVE TITLES!!!!

I agree!!! It is a good thing to mention it some place where people might be doing some shopping research.