Buying Advice New JD models

/ New JD models #21  
A salesman at my local dealership hinted that the 1026R would have a little more ground clearance than the 1023E. Makes me wonder if it will be like the Kubota BX1860 being a little smaller than the BX2360 and BX2660. Smaller tires on the BX1860 is probably the difference as I know they are smaller on it. I haven't compared the wheel base diminsions. Anyway, makes me wonder if the 1023 will have smaller tires than the 1026. Regardless. I can't wait to see these side by side to compare.

He also hinted that I shouldn't be surprized to see some discontinuations in 2000 Twenty, 3000 Twenty, and 4000 Twenty lines as there is too much overlap in HP. My guess is that the 2320, 3120, and 4120 will be gone and maybe the 3520 and 4520 also. IMO you get a lot more tractor for your money if you are looking at a 2720 by going to a 3032 or 3105. Of course if you are buying for looks, all of the Twenty Series tractors look better than their economy class cousins. My understanding is that most opt for the ecomony tractors when looking vs. the 2720. They will do the more work for the the same or less money. I guess I am saying that I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2320 go and maybe the 2520 since these two 1000 series machines will be in the same HP range. We will all know in a few more weeks.

Now, I hope that these new 1023 and 1026 sub-cuts can stay price competetive with the Kubotas. I will pay a little more for the JD because I feel that overall, it is better thought out ergonomically. I like the loader joysitck better and the twin peddles better than on the kubota BX's. However, if it is going to cost me another $2500, I may just have to go orange and live with it. At least I know I trust the Kubota engine. I understand these new Deere's will have a new engine design.

Random thoughts:

I am excited about the drive over decks and I am hoping they will be 7-Iron decks with pretty fast blade speed. I am wondering what the deck options will be, if any. Like, can you still get a yellow deck that is less expensive than the drive over deck? An even bigger question is will they be suspended decks like on the 2305 now, or floating like the Twenty series. This has huge implications for me as I really need to have a suspended deck.

Folding ROPS is definately a plus. These should have at least always been a dealer installed option.

I hope the hydraulic hose connections for the loader are better protected.

I don't have to mention transmission fan and filter have hopefully been addressed.

Independent deck lift is a plus. This should have always been standard too.

I am hoping that at least the 1026R will have draft position control. This should be standard. You shouldn't have to go up in tractor class to get this and pay more for the tractor and a MMM to fit it.

More loader capacity is always good as long as the tractor frame and front axle are able to take stress.

A personal pet pieve of mine is the headlights. Please let them be sealed so dust can't get in them. For what these machines cost this should be a no brainer.

Happy to see the fuel fill cap moved. Who wanted to stand an hold a 5 gal. fuel can chest high to fill one of these up. Much better on the fender and easier to prevent spilling.

Somewhere someone mentioned that he hoped the hood ornament was gone. I thought that was kind of neat and I will miss it.

Kubota has retractable seat belts. Hoping the new JD does too.

The high back seat with arm rests is nice. I am betting that will come only on the 1026, as will most of the other desirable options.

Hopefully a nicely equipped 1026R won't drive the price to that of a 2520 or 2720. That would really hurt my feelings and make me have to go orange.

Kind of hoping the throttle has been moved to the dash. I kind of like it better there than on the side.

Instrument panel should have fuel gage, tach, hour meter, temp gage, and oil pressure. Hopefully not a combination hour/tach meter that shows hours when off and rpms when running. I want to see both all the time. Again, these things cost a lot of money, don't cheap out. I fugure if we get three from the above list we will be lucky.

/ New JD models #22  
I can see the 2720 being discontinued. You could pay a little difference and get a 3032E or a 3320. With the 4120, thats pretty close to the 3720, so which would go? Im a little confused why the 4520 would go though. any further detailes are taken greatly. Im getting pretty excited for the new 1023D and 1026R tractors but with all the more features on the 1026R, it may end up the same or more as the 2320 and 2520 like you stated. Them people would be either opted to the larger or smaller model machine so I will be interested on how many 1026Rs they sell. It will be a benefit that Deere will have 2 SCUT model machines since they will have a wider range of competition with the orange tractors and blue tractors. I am wondering if Deer will have a 3 range tranny like the 3x20 series models, i have heard and experienced applications where that mid range would be benefitial to operators under certain circumstances.

/ New JD models #23  
I can see the 2720 being discontinued. You could pay a little difference and get a 3032E or a 3320. With the 4120, thats pretty close to the 3720, so which would go? Im a little confused why the 4520 would go though. any further detailes are taken greatly. Im getting pretty excited for the new 1023D and 1026R tractors but with all the more features on the 1026R, it may end up the same or more as the 2320 and 2520 like you stated. Them people would be either opted to the larger or smaller model machine so I will be interested on how many 1026Rs they sell. It will be a benefit that Deere will have 2 SCUT model machines since they will have a wider range of competition with the orange tractors and blue tractors. I am wondering if Deer will have a 3 range tranny like the 3x20 series models, i have heard and experienced applications where that mid range would be benefitial to operators under certain circumstances.

If Deere is putting so much energy into the the 2305 it must be a hot market. I was looking at one on the lot the other day and it's a cut tractor. If the price rises too much it will run into the 2320.
If I had to guess I'd think the 2520 might stay and get a couple of extra whistles. 'Bota has a three speed box and in my view the 2x20's could use one too.
I think the 3120 is aready gone, the 3320 is a pretty popular machine but the 3520 and the 3720 do sell also. Maybe they'll come out with something between the two HPs and drop them both. Can't wait to see what's in store!

Rob

/ New JD models #24  
If Deere is putting so much energy into the the 2305 it must be a hot market. I was looking at one on the lot the other day and it's a cut tractor. If the price rises too much it will run into the 2320.
If I had to guess I'd think the 2520 might stay and get a couple of extra whistles. 'Bota has a three speed box and in my view the 2x20's could use one too.
I think the 3120 is aready gone, the 3320 is a pretty popular machine but the 3520 and the 3720 do sell also. Maybe they'll come out with something between the two HPs and drop them both. Can't wait to see what's in store!

Rob

yes, the 3120 has been dropped, mainly because for a few extra bucks, you could upgrade to the 3320.

/ New JD models #25  
yes, the 3120 has been dropped, mainly because for a few extra bucks, you could upgrade to the 3320.

The 3120 did indeed go away over a year ago. Keep in mind though an equivalent 3120/3320 price comparison required adding $1000 to the 3320 price for the eHydro.

/ New JD models #26  
I noticed on the Deere configurator for the 3x20 and 4x20 tractors you have to select current or 2011 model year. Both are same price. Maybe has to do with Tier Level emission of engines?

/ New JD models #27  
I noticed on the Deere configurator for the 3x20 and 4x20 tractors you have to select current or 2011 model year. Both are same price. Maybe has to do with Tier Level emission of engines?

Interesting!

/ New JD models #29  
A salesman at my local dealership hinted that the 1026R would have a little more ground clearance than the 1023E. Makes me wonder if it will be like the Kubota BX1860 being a little smaller than the BX2360 and BX2660. Smaller tires on the BX1860 is probably the difference as I know they are smaller on it. I haven't compared the wheel base diminsions. Anyway, makes me wonder if the 1023 will have smaller tires than the 1026. Regardless. I can't wait to see these side by side to compare.

He also hinted that I shouldn't be surprized to see some discontinuations in 2000 Twenty, 3000 Twenty, and 4000 Twenty lines as there is too much overlap in HP. My guess is that the 2320, 3120, and 4120 will be gone and maybe the 3520 and 4520 also. IMO you get a lot more tractor for your money if you are looking at a 2720 by going to a 3032 or 3105. Of course if you are buying for looks, all of the Twenty Series tractors look better than their economy class cousins. My understanding is that most opt for the ecomony tractors when looking vs. the 2720. They will do the more work for the the same or less money. I guess I am saying that I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2320 go and maybe the 2520 since these two 1000 series machines will be in the same HP range. We will all know in a few more weeks.

Now, I hope that these new 1023 and 1026 sub-cuts can stay price competetive with the Kubotas. I will pay a little more for the JD because I feel that overall, it is better thought out ergonomically. I like the loader joysitck better and the twin peddles better than on the kubota BX's. However, if it is going to cost me another $2500, I may just have to go orange and live with it. At least I know I trust the Kubota engine. I understand these new Deere's will have a new engine design.

Random thoughts:

I am excited about the drive over decks and I am hoping they will be 7-Iron decks with pretty fast blade speed. I am wondering what the deck options will be, if any. Like, can you still get a yellow deck that is less expensive than the drive over deck? An even bigger question is will they be suspended decks like on the 2305 now, or floating like the Twenty series. This has huge implications for me as I really need to have a suspended deck.

Folding ROPS is definately a plus. These should have at least always been a dealer installed option.

I hope the hydraulic hose connections for the loader are better protected.

I don't have to mention transmission fan and filter have hopefully been addressed.

Independent deck lift is a plus. This should have always been standard too.

I am hoping that at least the 1026R will have draft position control. This should be standard. You shouldn't have to go up in tractor class to get this and pay more for the tractor and a MMM to fit it.

More loader capacity is always good as long as the tractor frame and front axle are able to take stress.

A personal pet pieve of mine is the headlights. Please let them be sealed so dust can't get in them. For what these machines cost this should be a no brainer.

Happy to see the fuel fill cap moved. Who wanted to stand an hold a 5 gal. fuel can chest high to fill one of these up. Much better on the fender and easier to prevent spilling.

Somewhere someone mentioned that he hoped the hood ornament was gone. I thought that was kind of neat and I will miss it.

Kubota has retractable seat belts. Hoping the new JD does too.

The high back seat with arm rests is nice. I am betting that will come only on the 1026, as will most of the other desirable options.

Hopefully a nicely equipped 1026R won't drive the price to that of a 2520 or 2720. That would really hurt my feelings and make me have to go orange.

Kind of hoping the throttle has been moved to the dash. I kind of like it better there than on the side.

Instrument panel should have fuel gage, tach, hour meter, temp gage, and oil pressure. Hopefully not a combination hour/tach meter that shows hours when off and rpms when running. I want to see both all the time. Again, these things cost a lot of money, don't cheap out. I fugure if we get three from the above list we will be lucky.

Very good information and great thoughts! You left out the suspension seat though :)

/ New JD models #30  
Just an opinion but Deere currently has four models from 23 to 31hp plus the X748 and X749, thats too many models with only a 7 to 8 hp spread. I would expect to see them shorten this list from six to four in the near future. Not that it makes a big difference but if they have position control on the new models with comparable options on the newer models I could see the 2320 and 2520 going away. This would leave the two newer models and the 2720 that is still three small tractors over a very small span in hp.

I also foresee Deere dropping the reverser tranny below the 5000 series tractors within the next few years too. I think it will be similar to auto's today in that if you wan't one without AC it would have to be special ordered. I suspect Deere is just waiting until they feel most people are receptive of the idea.