Buying Advice New JD models

/ New JD models #31  
Just an opinion but Deere currently has four models from 23 to 31hp plus the X748 and X749, thats too many models with only a 7 to 8 hp spread. I would expect to see them shorten this list from six to four in the near future. Not that it makes a big difference but if they have position control on the new models with comparable options on the newer models I could see the 2320 and 2520 going away. This would leave the two newer models and the 2720 that is still three small tractors over a very small span in hp.

I also foresee Deere dropping the reverser tranny below the 5000 series tractors within the next few years too. I think it will be similar to auto's today in that if you wan't one without AC it would have to be special ordered. I suspect Deere is just waiting until they feel most people are receptive of the idea.

It's a hard call Steve, I think a lot depends on what sells best. All those models in that range means they have an audience. If the new 2305 comes out with a bigger tire option you may see the 2320 go as it has the same engine. It's almost like there are to entry level 2 series tractors.
Well the 3120 is gone, I'd say they'll keep the 3320 as the entry 3x20 and maybe come out with a 3x20 that's between the 3520 and the 3720 as the problem with the 3720 is the same problem with the 2720, they start to run into the next series.

just my two cents.
Rob

/ New JD models #32  
It's a hard call Steve, I think a lot depends on what sells best. All those models in that range means they have an audience. If the new 2305 comes out with a bigger tire option you may see the 2320 go as it has the same engine. It's almost like there are to entry level 2 series tractors.
Well the 3120 is gone, I'd say they'll keep the 3320 as the entry 3x20 and maybe come out with a 3x20 that's between the 3520 and the 3720 as the problem with the 3720 is the same problem with the 2720, they start to run into the next series.

just my two cents.
Rob

The biggest problem with the 2305 that I have heard is the lack of position control, now if the new model has position control then why make the 2320? Seems like to much duplication to me, it seems to me a person shopping for a small tractor could opt for the simple new model of the 2305 or the deluxe version or the 2720. Maybe its just me but I have a hard time envisioning models that are two to four hp apart. Ten hp differences would seem more appropriate for small tractors and fifty hp differences for larger stuff.

/ New JD models #33  
I have a hard time believing that Deere would drop the 2320 or 2520. It seems that the new 2305 is just a significant face lift - the image doesn't seem to show a great change in concept. It still lacks the ground clearance, split brakes, real drawbar and footprint (i.e. longer wheelbase/wider track) of the 2x20 model. Who knows about increased 3-pt lift capacity at this time, but I'm guessing it probably remains similar... which means it probably still handles the smallest grade and sized 3-pt implements, as opposed to that bump up to true Category-1 implements that are appropriate for the 2320/2520. If anything, it seems an evolutionary change.

I've owned both a 2320 and then a 2305 and can tell you that they are substantially different tractors - intended to be used for substantially different applications. I doubt strongly that Deere's going to limit their customers to choosing between 2 "sub-compacts," 1 "compact" and then the full 3000-series.

I'm guessing the real reason why Deere is going to offer two models of their smallest compact is to compete with Kubota, etc. by offering some choice. After all, Kubota gives their customers 4 BX-models to choose from and 7 in the B-series range. Not that I'm just as perplexed by the next guy about why Kubota needs to build so many variants. But again, to drop the 2320 and 2520 and only offer the 2720 seems unrealistic. Especially looking at the profiles on this website and around my area - the 2320 and 2520 are very popular.

/ New JD models #34  
You guys may be right I guess the truth is I can't see enough difference between all these models in my mind. Why someone would agonize over the difference between a 2320, 2520 or 2720 is hard for me to understand.

What I would prefer to see is better attachment configurations for a more limited tractor lineup. For those who want the mmm for instances this should be available with the 7 iron deck on the 2xxx series. These tractors are lawn maintenance size machines and are not cut out to handle heavy tasks but could benefit by having better mowing decks for the smaller parcels most people have today.

I am hoping that if I add an X749 to the existing 110 and 4520 that I won't have a need for either a 2xxx or 3xxx tractor. Nor do I really need the older 820 canopy either.

/ New JD models #35  
You guys may be right I guess the truth is I can't see enough difference between all these models in my mind. Why someone would agonize over the difference between a 2320, 2520 or 2720 is hard for me to understand.

What I would prefer to see is better attachment configurations for a more limited tractor lineup. For those who want the mmm for instances this should be available with the 7 iron deck on the 2xxx series. These tractors are lawn maintenance size machines and are not cut out to handle heavy tasks but could benefit by having better mowing decks for the smaller parcels most people have today.

I am hoping that if I add an X749 to the existing 110 and 4520 that I won't have a need for either a 2xxx or 3xxx tractor. Nor do I really need the older 820 canopy either.

Steve,
That might not be a bad idea. I have a ztrac 445 but I wonder if I had a 749 instead if it wouldn't fill in when I need to pull a cart or do some of the smaller jobs around here. Although having a dedicated mower is very nice.

/ New JD models #36  
I cant see why they would keep the 2720. If you think about it, that pushes into the 790/3005 in the 3000 series where if someone was looking hard at the 2720, the dealer would more likely get them to get a 3320 due to how much more tractor you gain for just a little more. If anything, the 2720 will go and they would keep the 2520 and maybe the 2320.

/ New JD models #37  
I cant see why they would keep the 2720. If you think about it, that pushes into the 790/3005 in the 3000 series where if someone was looking hard at the 2720, the dealer would more likely get them to get a 3320 due to how much more tractor you gain for just a little more. If anything, the 2720 will go and they would keep the 2520 and maybe the 2320.

Depends, I can remember several years ago needing a tractor but not knowing which one. I bought below what I need because I was timid about going to a bigger tractor.

I really had to use the 2x20 series for a few years to see I really needed something bigger. I wonder if lots of new buyers fit in this mind set. You see a capacity listed in a brochure and you think wow that's a lot but when it comes to lifting with it you wonder why it doesn't have more umph. So maybe you think, "gee that 3120 looks really big, I'll get the smaller one just below it and that will more than not handle my needs." Then a couple of years later one of your friends comes along with a bigger tractor and you go wow, that's impressive, I've been struggling with that stump all day long!

It's a hard call because we've been around these tractor awhile and our perspectives may be skewed. Now add that to the fact that we don't know what is going on in the market and what is selling the most. I see a lot of 2305 to 2520 but not as much 2720. In the 3x20 it seems to me there are lots of people buying each model, maybe a little less with the 3032E. The 4x20 is the same way, the 4005 seems to me to be the least sales but all the rest are about equal.
Rob

/ New JD models #38  
So.............how long until we know?
When is the official announcement?
Had just desided on the 2520 over the Kubota (B2630 or B2920) and decided to check here, Now, how long must we wait for the official word, making me rethink, do I want three speed transaxle or two speed? Will JD upgrade to three speed?
if no significant changes, why so secret? Maybe back to Kubota.

/ New JD models #39  
So.............how long until we know?
When is the official announcement?
Had just desided on the 2520 over the Kubota (B2630 or B2920) and decided to check here, Now, how long must we wait for the official word, making me rethink, do I want three speed transaxle or two speed? Will JD upgrade to three speed?
if no significant changes, why so secret? Maybe back to Kubota.

I'd wait, the three speed would be worth it to me.