Buying Advice JD 4300 questions

/ JD 4300 questions #1  

dst1165

Tractor
Ford 3000
I test drove a HST JD 4300 last week and wanted to know what you're opinions were of this tractor. Is there anything to be concerned about with this model? I mostly plan on mowing ~4 acres with a 6' RFM. I also will be doing some bucket work. The FEL seemed to work well as did the 3 pt hitch. I ran it in all of the ranges and it seemed to respond well. I have always driven gear tractors so I'm to famialr with HST.

Is 900 hours to high for this tractor?
Below is the tractor house add.

2000 JOHN DEERE 4300 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

/ JD 4300 questions #2  
I've had the 4300 since new in '99. It has been a real workhorse. I can't ask for more out of it, and that includes brush hogging, logging, and digging out stumps, rocks, and moving pallets of split firewood with the forks. Bucket work, and snow plow work all winter long. Easy starter, easy on fuel, just a great tractor.

At one time, when the 3x20's came out, I planned to trade up and go for a few extra hp's. But there were just too many things that I liked about the 4300 to make that change.

I have about 600 hours on the 4300. The HST is priceless, compared to gear tractors I've had before. Would never want to go back to gear, especially for FEL work.

If I could list any negative at all, it would only be the 420 FEL on the one for sale, as it is a lighter loader than the 430.

/ JD 4300 questions #3  
The only issue I've had with mine is the no-start symptom. It will crank but not fire. The fix is really easy ($4 part at the dealer called a "thermistor"). It fits behind the fuse box and the full solenoid.

Other than that I've gotten great use so far from my 2001 4300 sync reverser.

Price seems pretty good. I got mine back in Jan of this year with a 430 loader and 5ft JD finish mower for around 9k.

I bet your will like it.

/ JD 4300 questions #4  
I've had a 4300 for 10 years. My opinion is that it's an excellent tractor. HST is simple, no clutch or shifting. Just press on one pedal and it goes forward, press on another pedal and it goes backward. 900 hours is not high, mine just turned 700. Read somewhere the engine should last 8000 hours. The 4300 will mow your 4 acres without any problem.

/ JD 4300 questions #5  
I have had the 4300 for 9 years. Great tractor. The only problem I've ever had is the "IT won't start" problem which is fixed with the $3.00 Thermistor... My only concern with the one you are looking at is that is has the 420 loader. I'd recommend the 430.

/ JD 4300 questions #6  
Its said that the 4300 is the best CUT Deere ever built. I wouldn't disagree.

/ JD 4300 questions #7  
I have a 2001 JD 4200 that is the next size down from the 4300. They are good workhorses. Mine just turned 600-hours and in the past couple of weeks I've moved over 200-tons of recycled concrete redoing my neighbor's and ours driveways. I can move 50-tons in a day with the 420 loader. I have a HST, and it's great for doing precision loader work.

The only concerns pertaining to the 4200, 4300, and 4400 models are the rear axle housings being made of aluminum and the loader mast to tractor attachment can get sloppy. Check out http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/146974-john-deere-4300-complete-rebuild.html to learn more about the 4300. Note the unit you are looking at appears to have been well cared for, while the unit in the thread I provided was a used and abused rental unit.

For what your planned uses are, the 4300 will work well.

/ JD 4300 questions #8  
Its said that the 4300 is the best CUT Deere ever built. I wouldn't disagree.

I'll second that! Best HP/weight ratio for the large residential/small farmette owner.
I talked two friends of mine into buying one. And, it was a 4300 I was looking for when I ended up with the 4400.

/ JD 4300 questions
Well I went to look at this 4300 again to day with intentions on buying. I was looking it over really well and everything was looking good. I got down on the ground to lok under it and noticed it looked a little greasy. I put my hand underneath and it came out wet with hydraulic oil.

Needless to say it didn't come home.

/ JD 4300 questions #10  
That could be a number of things.
Do you remember where you noticed it being "a little greasy" ?

I can find some oil under mine in a couple places. At least enough to get some on my fingers. :D