John Deere 135 PTO Drive Screw Log Splitter

/ John Deere 135 PTO Drive Screw Log Splitter #1  

John Dear

Tractor
John Deere 5310, 5525, 6220, Bolen's 800, Bolen's 1050
Hi All,

I just came into possession of a John Deere 135 Screw / Cone Log Splitter. It has a Stickler cone head on it. I am wondering if anyone has used these before or has any information on them? Where, when and how many made? Horse power requirements, etc.? I did every search I can think of on Google and can't find a darn thing on a JD 135 Log Splitter. Except for the obvious rust spots this implement is in good shape and I am looking to sell it as I don't use / need firewood, but I would like to know more about it before selling. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for reading and pic's below.

Attachments

• JD 135 Log Splitter Left Side Decal.JPG
    JD 135 Log Splitter Left Side Decal.JPG
    800.2 KB · Views: 5,265
  • JD 135 Log Splitter 135 Decal.jpg
    JD 135 Log Splitter 135 Decal.jpg
    738.3 KB · Views: 1,686
  • JD 135 Log Splitter Stickler Screw - Cone.jpg
    JD 135 Log Splitter Stickler Screw - Cone.jpg
    690.1 KB · Views: 1,104
  • JD 135 Log Splitter Rear & Stand.JPG
    JD 135 Log Splitter Rear & Stand.JPG
    988.8 KB · Views: 1,155
   / John Deere 135 PTO Drive Screw Log Splitter #2  
I used a screw type splitter years ago. It was not a JD but was almost identical. It was one of the best and the most dangerous splitters that I have ever used. I think that we were using about a 20HP diesel. Are you able to find replacement tips?

/ John Deere 135 PTO Drive Screw Log Splitter #4  
I knew a younger fellow many years ago in the stickler hayday and he claimed that his father had the marketing rites to the screws. They were welded in a small shop in Trenton Ontario. I did see the shop. I am not so sure about the whole story. They are scary, and have never used one.
Craig Clayton

/ John Deere 135 PTO Drive Screw Log Splitter #5  
I have one identical except it is mounted on my post hole digger. It was made by a guy in washington who was also working on a version like that but with a gear box. He got the cone from some kind of wheels and had the point custom made or so he said. I got mine for a few crab and I love it. I run mine totally from the tractor seat with noone else around. I just bore into a whole log splitting it then lift with the 3pt and then buck off already split pieces, works great.

Attachments

• 10042010019.jpg
    10042010019.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 4,951
   / John Deere 135 PTO Drive Screw Log Splitter
MD3, Goneandbrokeit, Craig Clayton and Tungularafishcamp,

Thank you for the replies, information and links to follow. In doing a search on Google there are plenty of video's demonstrating these screw type splitters. I imagine they can be plenty dangerous in the wrong hands, as any PTO implement could be. I don't know about replacement tips but I believe Stickler is still in business and could be replaced by them. The thing that blows me away is NONE of the JD guys have seen this implement before. I have searched high and low and talked to multiple JD shops and they just don't know anything about this model. Which I suppose is good in a way. Well, thank you again :thumbsup: for your posts and I will keep you updated if I find out anything new.

/ John Deere 135 PTO Drive Screw Log Splitter #7  
I may be all wrong about this but the 135 part is from a 135 rear blade. I went to the barn and looked at my Stickler and the PTO rotation on my Deere 3320 and it won't work. The PTO turns clock wise and you put the Stickler on the drivers side drive wheel and ran the truck in forward which is counter clock wise. I hope I am wrong but I think someone had a great plan only to find out it didn't work. I think it's home made

I have seen PTO screw splitters but they were not the Stickler brand.

Dan

/ John Deere 135 PTO Drive Screw Log Splitter
DanD,

Thanks for the reply. I did some research on the JD 135 rear blade and could not find a lot on it either. Initially, there did not look like a lot of welding / repair work on the frame, but I will look again. It could very well be homemade, but it is a heck of a job if so. I agree that the cone is possibly not original to the frame, (implement) but the leg / block on the side does not appear to be a homemade add-on. I am gonna throw this on my 5310 tomorrow and give it a spin. If only I had a nice full piece of log to split. :licking: Will let you all know how it goes. Hopefully you won't be hearing about me on the evening news. :confused2:

/ John Deere 135 PTO Drive Screw Log Splitter #9  
hi how much for the spliter im in ny 13850 zip thanks