JD5303 Hydraulic pump rattle

/ JD5303 Hydraulic pump rattle #1  

XOM

Tractor
JD 5303 JD 4020
TBN Members,this is my first post so please excuse mistakes.
I have a question about a 2008 5303 with a 512 JD loader.I bought this tractor new and I consider it to be a very good tractor that has done every thing I have needed,mostly pulling a 10' bush hog and moving round bales of hay.At full workimg temp with no load on the hydraulics at idle there is a rattle in the hydraulic pump.If I turn the steering wheel or move the loader just a little the rattle stops.All hydraulic functions wok as they should with plenty of power.I have talked to three dealers in the central Texas area and they say a little rattle is normal when there is no load on the pump.This pump rattle has not changed since the tractor was new and it now has 160 hours.I would appreciate the opinion of the pros that have given so much help to so many others.
Thank you all

/ JD5303 Hydraulic pump rattle #2  
My 4310 does the same exact thing. Wonder if its the pressure relief working? Let me know if you find out anything.

/ JD5303 Hydraulic pump rattle #3  
there's a touch of backlash in the pump drive gear. It won't hurt anything. That is a very common sound with gear driven pumps. My tractor has the same noise, at 2800 hours, and has for all the years I owned it.

/ JD5303 Hydraulic pump rattle
Thank you for the replies,I took the 5303 back to the dealer last week and the manager believed the rattle was a little more than normal.The dealer had to talk the area rep in to letting them replace the pump.I pulled a 10' cutter for a couple of hours yesterday to get it hot,now there is a little rattle from the pump but very much less than before.I believe you are right about it being gear noise.A dealer that wants to please its customers and a warranty is sometimes very nice to have.
Thank you

/ JD5303 Hydraulic pump rattle #5  
Suggest you look at this URL from John Deere on your tractor

5000 series tractors with the 3 cylinder, 2.9L engine are assembled with spur cut gears in the front drive train. Spur cut gears are made with a backlash tolerance, which allows them to be slightly loose.

Summary

When the gears turn under a "no load" condition, the backlash will cause them to clank together. This is normal. When a hydraulic function is activated, a load will be transmitted across the gears and the noise should be eliminated.

Front End Noise : Gear backlash causes noise on 5000 series tractors