John Deere Gator 4x2

/ John Deere Gator 4x2
Thanks JTD, your right, at least as far as my needs are concerned (actually my wife and little boy) we won't really carry heavy loads. I am looking for quiet, smooth and reliable. John Deere has been great in terms of responding to a request for literature. They have to be one of the best in marketing. I had forgot about EZ GO until Jim mentioned it a couple of posts ago. Admittedly, my favorite is one made by ClubCar, its called the Pioneer 1200. Its made of thick aluminum I beams and uses a very quiet power transfer system, one that seems perfected after building many thousands of golf type carts. The nicest thing about all these utility vehicles is that there is no shortage of really nice manufactuers to select from. John Deere, EZ GO, Kawasaki, Pug, Yamaha, Toro, Snapper, ClubCar, to name but a few. Thanks, Rat...

/ John Deere Gator 4x2 #12  
Hi Mark,

Does your wife need the side by side seating a Gator provides… or can she use a front/rear seating as on an ATV…? Also are you sure she can get by with 2 wheel drive… or for the difference of ~~$1k you’ve got 4 wheel drive… Whatever you buy… it will normally only be once… so you might as well get what you want from the get-go…

Have you considered a less expensive and perhaps more versatile approach as a 4x4 ATV…?

The other day I was at Sam’s Club and saw some ATV attachments for ~~ $55. that mount to the rear and become a large extended “carrier” for carrying large items. … and of course you can always pull a small trailer and the possibilities become endless… or let someone else take the big depreciation hit and you can buy it used…

Over the years, our family has had a number of different ATV’s… when I started buying Polaris… nobody wanted to drive anything but them… the ease of use was the main factor of course, the super riding comfort with MacPherson’s struts, the grunt & gitty-up-and-go, and "real" four wheel drive were strong bonuses…

If you get a chance, take the family down and play with a Polaris or two… with a small son… I can’t imagine a better incentive to get work done… because he’ll turn work into play… /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Besides that… over the years, the ATV’s provided our family with memorable quality time… /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.polarisind.com/product/detail.asp?contentid=03atvmossmagnum3304x4mossyoak>Polaris Website…</A>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.polarisind.com/img/atv/03atvmossmagnum3304x4mossyoak_actnxx.jpg>Polaris 4x4 ~~$5k retail (4x2 is ~~$4k retail)…</A>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.polarisind.com/img/atv/03atvpruxsportsman6x6_actnxx.jpg>Polaris 6x6 with dump box…</A>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.polarisind.com/img/rgr/centerPiecehunt.jpg>Polaris Ranger...</A>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.polarisind.com/product/competition.asp?contentid=02RGRRANGER6X6>Polaris Ranger vs Gator vs Kawasaki comparison...</A>

/ John Deere Gator 4x2
John, I couldn't agree more, my use of utility type vehicles both ATV's and the Gator type certainly made me a believer in the ATV like Polaris, Honda etc. This vehicle is more for my wife then for me and while she could easily handle an ATV, I think its the idea of bringing our 17 month old son around in a bench or bucket seat that appeals to her. I will have a ATV here for a clutch repair that she can try out in a week or so. Who knows, maybe that will change her thoughts. Either way, its her choice and I don't think I'm going to persuade her to do what I want. What do you think about carrying a child in front of you on your lap on an ATV? Of course, it would be on a road that is smooth and relatively obstacle free and slow going, but that applys to the utility vehicle as well.
As far as utility vehicles go, I have tried the Kawasaki 4WD that one of my sisters own out in the mountainous terrains they live on. To tell you the truth, we never need four wheel drive. Mud, steep hills, its just not needed. I suppose its because the utility vehicles are quite light. Most, like the Pioneer, have an on the fly locking differential. Thanks for the suggestion, if it were my choice, I believe it would be an ATV. I have even fabricated some heavy duty trailers for them that actually have considerably more cargo space/ load carrying ability then the utility vehilces and hook/unhook with great ease. Rat...

/ John Deere Gator 4x2 #14  
I've been looking around at all the different utility vehicles on the market too. Each has its pluses and minuses. Anyway I came across a used '99 Gator 4x6 Diesel with 1087hrs. He wanted $7500! That seems high to me. How many hours are these vehicles good for? Any one have any used prices on similar units to compare? Thanks.

/ John Deere Gator 4x2 #15  
Rat,

I like the Gators alot and we have used the heck out of them and never had a problem. The only complaint I have is that the fenders do break too easily. They always start and I have hauled alot with them and never had a problem.

With regard to the rear suspension it's just a different design. Their suspension is handled mostly by the large flotation tires. This is because they have the best for noncompaction and for not tearing up the ground. That is the reason for the flotation suspension in contrast to a true shock suspension. For general work around the farm, house, etc. you can't beat it. As far as in the woods out hunting, doing true 4x4 tasks, then I believe I would like the Ranger better.

The Gator is very accesible from any position. I like the rollcage on the Mule and Ranger but it does get in the way doing things. With the Gator you can do anything from anywhere on it. You also don't have to worry about tipping as the Gator also has the best stats for not turning over as well.

I believe the drivetrain and suspension is as smooth as any of them. The older ones used to be pretty loud but the newer ones aren't bad at all. We beat ours up pretty good and have never had a problem.

There are a number of aftermarket places that you can get a top or a cab for them as well. JD doesn't sell them though.

/ John Deere Gator 4x2
Richard, your right, the Gator is pretty smooth running on those big fat low pressure tires even without a moving rear suspension. It's engine is quiet and transmission smooth. JD has certainly impressed me with their marketing. I asked for some information online and in 3 days, it was in my mailbox. They do a great job promoting their fine products. Thanks for the input, Rat...

/ John Deere Gator 4x2 #17  
We just bought a Kawasaki Mule 3000 after comparing them with the Gators. The Mule 550 is about equivalent to the Gator 4x2. The Mule seemed to be a better value for the money. As for power I broke a tow strap trying to pull a tree that I thought I had cut out of brush .
Popeye

/ John Deere Gator 4x2 #18  
Does anyone have any price guidelines on used 4x2 Gators? I will be going to an auction soon that will have 3 of them. If I can steal one, I'll go for it.

-Don M

/ John Deere Gator 4x2 #19  
I bought a Mule 550 last week and love it. I also liked the Gator when I drove it. The differences are that the Mule (Kawasaki) has rear shocks, a bench seat with seatbelts, a sealed cover over the belt drive (the Gator I saw the belt was open to the elements), and an oil filter on the engine (an option on the Gator). The Mule and Gator 4 X2 were about the same price and have the exact same kawasaki engine. I thought the Mule had a slightly better ride due to the rear shocks, but I would have been happy with the Gator too.

My 2 year old grandbaby calls the Mule a "baby car".

/ John Deere Gator 4x2 #20  
It all depends on the year, hours, condition, etc. It's pretty hard to say what it's worth without knowing exactly what it is.