John Deere 110 or Kubota B26 / L39 Buying Help

/ John Deere 110 or Kubota B26 / L39 Buying Help #1  

zzBLITZzz

Hello to all, lot of reading here but this is my first post. Looking for some buying help / opinions.

I am looking to purchase my first TLB, for that matter my first piece of equipment bigger than a lawn tractor.

I'm looking for a quality (Kubota / John Deere) used machine, 2004 or newer, just looking for a machine to save my back and use around the house 26hp is enough 43hp seems better, but is it ?

At first I was 100% stuck on a Kubota TLB, mainly the B26 or L39, they seemed to be most fitting to my needs. I've looked at them online from coast to coast for what seems to be countless hours. At this point I think I am aware of any and all that are currently available in the United States.

Ok, It seems that every used low hours, non-rental company B26 is around $25K-$28K and every L39 is around $28K-$35K.

A little more than I wanted to spend but I thought, suck it up, and go buy one.

As I was reaching for my wallet, I started looking at the John Deere 110 TLB. This out performs both of these machines and I have seen them as low as $18K-$22K and a really nice one at $26K with comparable hours.

Can someone weigh in on this? I was all ready to pull the trigger on a Kubota B26 and now my stomach is in knots over this John Deere 110 TLB because it's a lot more tractor for the same money.

What should I do ? For some reason my gut tells me to buy the Kubota but I can't help but feel sick about this John Deere 110 and maybe making the wrong decision on this kinda purchase.

Help me, Please !

/ John Deere 110 or Kubota B26 / L39 Buying Help #2  
Welcome to TBN, Blitz. I've rented the older, Kubota B21 construction TLB a few times in the past. Tough little horse, that one! :thumbsup:

When I was in the market for a new TLB - I'm afraid that I went through the same process that you're currently into... Days, weeks and months on the Internet and searching through the heavy equipment publications!

For my purposes, I went with the larger Hp machine - the JD 110.

The B21 was clearly too small for the land clearing, rennovation work that I had planned. Indeed, after looking over the L35 and the L39 - they seemed to be just on the smaller end of what I figured would hold up over time; doing the work I needed to get done.

I really focused in on the L48 and the 110. Looked briefly at the M59... but at $61-62K for the options I wanted - there was no way! :eek:

Decision came down to a few elements - transmission controls and FEL control layout (stick) and dealership support.

The ergonomics of the 110 were superior - IMO. The double pedals for the transmission are more comfortable to operate for hours at a stretch. The joystick location is closer to your body and easier to utilize over a long day at the controls. The creep feature for relocating the backhoe and moving the machine from the rear seat configuration is a great advantage, too.

Finally, the Kubota dealership was a bust for parts, repair support. And they've since lost their franchise. I have 2 JD dealerships where I live in Alaska, within 25 miles of my farm.

Just over 700 hours on my JD 110, now and not a single day that I'm not happy with my decision.

Best of luck with your search (and decision).

AKfish

/ John Deere 110 or Kubota B26 / L39 Buying Help #4  
I own a B21. If you need something small to work in tight spaces I would go with a B26 or B21. A good B21 can be bought for less than $15K, perhaps $12K.

If you want something bigger I would buy the JD 110.

If JD offered something as tough as the B21 in its size range I would have bought green.

/ John Deere 110 or Kubota B26 / L39 Buying Help #5  
It would help to give us a better discription of the tasks you need or expect to perform. I have been very satisfied with my 110 with a little over 700 hours on it. I differ with you on rental units though, if you are careful you can find some good deals on them too. There has been alot of rental equipment sitting in the rental yards that needs to be moved, so there are some good deals out there as well as privately owned units.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 110 or Kubota B26 / L39 Buying Help #6  
I can't comment on the Kubota's as I have never had the opportunity to operate one.

I have a 110 TLB and love it. Don't discount the value of the creeper control to reposition the machine.

I used to have a John Deere 4210 with a 4710 backhoe. My project was/is removing growth of 5 to 10 inch trees in an old pasture. With the 4210, this meant leaving the backhoe seat and moving to the ground and then up into the driver seat of the 4210 to reposition the tractor every 3 or 4 trees. With the 110 TLB, reach around to change the steering wheel angle, move the tractor slowing using the creeper control, and begin digging. Much easier on my legs and much faster.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 110 or Kubota B26 / L39 Buying Help #7  
I can't comment on the Kubota's as I have never had the opportunity to opperate one.

I have a 110 TLB and love it. Don't discount the value of the creeper control to reposition the machine.

I used to have a John Deere 4210 with a 4710 backhoe. My project was/is removing growth of 5 to 10 inch trees in an old pasture. With the 4210, this meant leaving the backhoe seat and moving to the ground and then up into the driver seat of the 4210 to reposition the tractor every 3 or 4 trees. With the 110 TLB, reach around to change the steering wheel angle, move the tractor slowing using the creeper control, and begin digging. Much easier on my legs and much faster.

I agree the creep to reposition control is a real plus, it is often overlooked but is one of the best things about a 110tlb.

/ John Deere 110 or Kubota B26 / L39 Buying Help #8  
A lot here has to do with what you are doing and we know so little it isn't fair! The initial clearing being done many machines would just sit and not be used!

You might just want to rent a larger machine or excavator for a week and be done with a minimum spent and the job done without frustration!

I've found with many jobs that I have tackled with small machines(liking a challange) How much time or costs could I have saved on!

/ John Deere 110 or Kubota B26 / L39 Buying Help #9  
I agree the creep to reposition control is a real plus, it is often overlooked but is one of the best things about a 110tlb.

I have creep to reposition on my Kubota M59 and use it ALL THE TIME. Given a choice of the machines you listed I would go with the 110 if you plan on using the backhoe frequently...i might be wrong, but the only other Kubota TLBs with this feature are the L45 and M59s. Did you consider a used L45...I'm not sure where they price out.

-Mark

/ John Deere 110 or Kubota B26 / L39 Buying Help #10  
I have creep to reposition on my Kubota M59 and use it ALL THE TIME. Given a choice of the machines you listed I would go with the 110 if you plan on using the backhoe frequently...i might be wrong, but the only other Kubota TLBs with this feature are the L45 and M59s. Did you consider a used L45...I'm not sure where they price out.

-Mark

I should add the M59 is my favorite Kubota, good size for a lot of jobs and well thought out.