Comparison JD X300 (new) vs. GT275 (used)

/ JD X300 (new) vs. GT275 (used) #1  

sgoldste01

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere GT245
Hi, I'm in the market for a tractor to mow my 1.2 acre yard, which is mostly flat with some gentle slopes. I would also like to attach a bagger in the fall when picking up leaves (would side discharge otherwise), and maybe pull a cart with mulch from time to time.

My previous tractor was an Ariens Sierra 1540H, and it lasted 14 years before the hydro tranny quit (although it started having other issues starting at around 10 years, such as the deck rusting apart, and the steering gears failing).

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new JD X300, and take advantage of JD's current $500 discount promotion (brings the price down to $2500). But in reading reviews online, I'm reading that the transmission (K46) is the same as the LA Series, which concerns me. I would expect a heavier tractor with a torqier engine like the X300 to also provide a heavier duty tranny.

My local CraigsList has an ad for a 1999 GT275 with 44" Pirhanna mulching deck, snowblower, and snow blade for $2500. I don't really want the blower/blade, but the seller won't separate. It doesn't have an hour meter, but he thinks it probably has 500 hours on it. He says it's in great shape, and his pictures suggest that he's right.

I would probably sell the blower/blade myself, if I bought this package.

I'm having trouble justifying paying almost the same amount for an 11-year-old machine as I can spend on a new one. I'm also wondering if I can bag with the mulching deck; I'm guessing not.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

/ JD X300 (new) vs. GT275 (used) #2  
Given my past problems with the K46, I would not buy anything less than a X320. Also not sure I would buy a tractor without an hour meter on it. Granted given your flat yard you do not need a garden tractor like a GT but what about an LX? Should be able to find one in the $2k range.

/ JD X300 (new) vs. GT275 (used)
Given my past problems with the K46, I would not buy anything less than a X320. Also not sure I would buy a tractor without an hour meter on it. Granted given your flat yard you do not need a garden tractor like a GT but what about an LX? Should be able to find one in the $2k range.

But what do you think of the GT275? If it's in as good condition as it looks in the pics, would it be a good machine to buy? Does anyone know what model tranny was used in the GT275? I can't find this info on the web. Better than the K46?

Last edited:
   / JD X300 (new) vs. GT275 (used) #4  
If you go to JDparts and pull up the GT275 you will see in the exploded view that this transaxle has top oil fill plugs and drain plugs on the bottom. Much better than the K46.

/ JD X300 (new) vs. GT275 (used) #5  
The GT275 has a K71 or K72. It is a real garden tractor and rated for ground engaging attachments.

I bought a ~2001 LX279 with a K62 transaxle and 17HP water cooled Kawasaki for $750 earlier this year. All cleaned up, look and running close to new I will have about $1400 in it. So $2500 for the GT275 seems steep to me.

I've got the seller down to $2000 for just the GT275 tractor, without the snowblower and blade. If it's in nice shape, is this a good price?

/ JD X300 (new) vs. GT275 (used) #7  
If all you are going to do is mow then you do not need a GT. A LX or LT would be just fine and save you a lot of $$$s. Personally I would not pay $2K for a GT275.

My LX279 and the GT275 you are looking at have the same 17HP watercooled Kawasaki engine, the same frame, hood, seat, etc. The only differences are the stronger transaxle on the GT275, larger diameter tires and different stickers.

If all you are going to do is mow then you do not need a GT. A LX or LT would be just fine and save you a lot of $$$s. Personally I would not pay $2K for a GT275.

My LX279 and the GT275 you are looking at have the same 17HP watercooled Kawasaki engine, the same frame, hood, seat, etc. The only differences are the stronger transaxle on the GT275, larger diameter tires and different stickers.

How much would you expect to pay for a good used LX279? How much less expensive would it be?

If I buy a nice used GT275, then it would still be $500 + tax less expensive than the sale price of a new X300 [$2500]), which most people on this forum say would be a poor choice due to the tranny. So it sounds like a GT275 would be a vastly superior machine for less $$ than the X300 I almost bought, even though it's 11 years old.

/ JD X300 (new) vs. GT275 (used) #9  
How much would you expect to pay for a good used LX279? How much less expensive would it be?

If I buy a nice used GT275, then it would still be $500 + tax less expensive than the sale price of a new X300 [$2500]), which most people on this forum say would be a poor choice due to the tranny. So it sounds like a GT275 would be a vastly superior machine for less $$ than the X300 I almost bought, even though it's 11 years old.

You should really try to decide which mower will work for you, if mowing is your main concern and bagging is only occasional then an X320 would last a long time. Consider the fact that you are finding used mowers at half the price of new ones, I would venture these are half wore out too. My guess is a 320 will last two or three times as long without failures as the cheaper mowers. If you cost it out over 15 years the higher cost for a 320 works out well for you. That is what I would have if I was only cutting my own lawn which is about 2 acres.

/ JD X300 (new) vs. GT275 (used) #10  
I have seen LX279s for sale from $500 for a junker to $2500 for an excellent example. I believe that $1400 to $1500 is the right range for a good one.

For mowing 1.2 acres a home depot or lowes JD badged mower would probably hold up a long time.

Personally I decided to buy a LX279 that was advertised for $900 for $750 knowing that it needed $400 of plastic hood parts. It ran great in the sellers level yard but I found it died on hills. I spent $150 perhaps $200 including the fuel pump to make it work perfect in my hilly yard. I plan to tear it a apart and do a full cleanup in early spring. At that point I should have $1300 to $1400 in it. I will have spent a similar amount to buying a box store model and hopefully have something better. It certainly works better on the hills than my neighbors Craftsman mowers.

Also I misspoke about the differences earlier. They LX279 has a water cooled engine. The GT275 is air cooled. If I were buying used and for a similar price I would opt for water cooled as the water cooled engine should last longer. There is a GT model with a 17 and 20 HP water cooled Kawasaki.