JD 4720; considering leaving Kubota

/ JD 4720; considering leaving Kubota #1  

ecoscaper

I'm ready to upgrade from a Kubota L3830 40hp, looking at 50-60hp tractors, have considered tlb's L48 or JD110 but so used to tractors and need cab- Test drove a 4720 and was impressed, seemed tough, well built, tight cab, vs the Kubota L5740 didn't seem as sturdy, and a few other details weren't that great. Could be switching from orange to green, any 4720 owners out there? Would be used for landscaping, land clearing, stonewalls, etc.. May have to bite the bullet and get a tlb with more lift/bucket capacity but liked the 4720,any comments thanks!

/ JD 4720; considering leaving Kubota #2  
There are cabs available for the M-59 Kubota.

I have seen the 4720 but wonder what parts of the deere look stronger. The operation of the 5740 has several things that stand out but maybe not for your application although I feel they would be an advantage to you.

/ JD 4720; considering leaving Kubota
The deere's loader seemed a little stronger built and the back n forth hydro pedals were nice, the cab's door seemed tighter where the Kubota's was a little looser. But I could see how some of the features on the Kubota would be usefull, they were both nice tractors! Did you mean an aftermarket cab for the M59? not in the budget, just don't want to regret getting the tractor vs the tlb. There is a JD110 tlb available with a laurin cab, going to check that out. I did so much with the L3830 I may do just fine with the L 57 or JD47, just tough to decide! Thanks for the info -

/ JD 4720; considering leaving Kubota #4  
I do similar work myself and probably the closest poster sharing your requirements. I have a 110tlb with a Laurin cab and a Deere 4520 with cab to handle the larger jobs on lawns and a new X749 with 3pt hitch and 540 pto to get in the tight spots. I am hoping this will work well for me and I design build landscapes similar to you. I am very satisfied with the machines I have and have no complaints.

In Kubota's lineup the M59 seems to me to be a good choice too, more powerful than the 110tlb if you need it. The M59 might be your best one tractor solution if you need 60 hp, similarly the 110 is a great choice in the 40+ hp class. I would think the 4520 Deere is enough power and wouldn't pay extra for the 6 horses in a 4720. My Deere dealer did mention to me the other day that Deere will sell or combine the cab option into a package for the 110 tlb now so keep that in mind.

Here is a picture of the 110tlb and the 4520, notice the cab is taller on the 110tlb but is the same as a 110tlb with standard canopy.

/ JD 4720; considering leaving Kubota #5  
My dad has a 3720 which is close in hp range to the 110. In my opinion, I would think the 110 would be more heavy duty compared to a 4x20 tractor due to the fact that it was specifically designed for construction or industrial purposes. With the ability to add the cab to the 110, you could have the comforts that you get in a 4x20 tractor and still have the heavy duty machine that is made to get the job done. just my opinion though. And since were on the 110 topic, i figured I'd share a picture i drew of one last night. :)

Attachments

• 12-1-10 009.JPG
    12-1-10 009.JPG
    901.5 KB · Views: 316
   / JD 4720; considering leaving Kubota #6  
One thing to consider is depending upon your tasks, many here w/ 4x20 series machines note they run out of traction before horsepower - me w/4120 included. That said, I don't have heavy pto power requirements and don't have R1's either.

/ JD 4720; considering leaving Kubota #7  
Lots of good used 4020's w/loaders around, $10K-$12K. 90 hp, maybe 10,000 lb. I think MFWD versions were available in early 70's too, but the one I used for a year or so was 2WD. It was an unstoppable beast with a 6 cyl diesel and R1's. If I had more acres I think I'd have looked for one for my current place. Not as slick and pretty as new JD's, just a very stout, powerful and reliable tractor for a good price. I probably could have picked up my 3032E with it. :laughing:

/ JD 4720; considering leaving Kubota #8  
Jake:

Nice to see you're still drawing. Your perspective is getting better, and so are your tires.

/ JD 4720; considering leaving Kubota #9  
I looked very closely at the Grand 40 series and the L48 TLB before I bought a JD 110 TLB. Really liked the M59, too... until they quoted the price!!! :eek:

Came down to fit and ergonomics of the loader, seat and the eHydro 2-pedals for me. Didn't like the rocker pedal for the transmission and the loader joystick was more comfortable.

I'd guess if you're doing some professional landscaping -- you've tried your hand with a Skid steer loader? Lot's of attachments, comfy cab. Worst part is visibility for things right behind you...

AKfish

/ JD 4720; considering leaving Kubota
Thanks for the info guys greatly appreciated! Leaning toward the jd110, going to talk to the JD dealer today, if it can come with a cab that would tip the scale. I have tried skid steers; recently a NH 185 and the Deere 326? Both were nice, efficient and powerfull but having one as my main piece of equipment I don't know, I think the tractor or tlb will be more versatile, comfortable, and living in hill country stable. The only other tractor dealer (other than JD, Kubota,) around is Case, going to try out a 50hp compact tractor over there tomorrow, don't know much about case but thier right down the road.