JD 970

/ JD 970 #1  

mroldstyle

Silver Member
Tractor
2003 New Holland tc 29d
My friend is looking at a 1995 JD 970, 3x3 trans. Quick attach loader, front wheel assist, 1090 hours. I went and looked at it for him, its very clean, no dents in hood, good paint. Started right up in the Wisconsin cold (15degrees).
Sounded good, went trough all the gears. 3pt. good, loader good. Tires very good shape. Asking price $11,900 firm. Is this reasonable or should he keep looking.
Thanks for any input.

/ JD 970 #2  
Seems high to me, better be real real clean I would think. High book value for base machine only for a 95 is $6,300 (this is less loader). Market area of course makes a difference but I find a real hard time thinking a 1000+ hour compact of any color that is 15 years old is worth over 10k for this hp range. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

/ JD 970 #3  
What tires (Ag or turf or A4bar). Have mid-pto option? New battery? Loaded tires? Canopy? Rockshaft feedback linkage? These things add a few points to the score. I have the 4 cyl version (1070) and do hay, snow, road grading, snow plowing, pto generator, 7' finnish mower, etc. The front loader connectors provide a handy addition of 2 2-way cylinders for extra features. Just light enough to trailer around town for extra cash.

/ JD 970 #5  
That's not a bad price from what I've seen on Machinefinder.com.
For some reason, those old x70 series tractors really hold their value.
If I were your buddy, I'd have the cash (first offer in one pocket, rest of the money in another pocket) and make an $11K offer.

I expect this tractor will sell pretty quick, so don't lollygag.

/ JD 970 #6  
When I sold my 970 TLB (650 hrs.) three years ago - I got $16.8K for it. I had lot's of calls on it... especially for Alaska!

As I recall, it's a 4cyl engine @ 122 cu. in. with a fully snychro tranny. You can shift all 3 forward gears and reverse without stopping. Great little loader tractor!

Bullet proof and will run all week on 5 gal. of fuel. Wished I still had it...

IMO - I'd rather have a good used 970 or 1070 versus a new 4005 with a collar shift tranny!

Only thing I'd really check is the clutch. With just over a 1,000 hrs. it would be a good idea to test it with the loader bucket against a tree and in 4th gear at 1,300-1,400 rpm and see if you can stall the tractor "immediately" when engaging the clutch.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ JD 970 #7  
Well, I paid $9600 for my '92 770 with 2500 hours. Well maintained and the paint is excellent. Good deal.??...It has done everything I have asked of it and I have no reason to believe anything is going to change anytime soon. A great little tractor with power to spare....24hp/20ptohp.

I would shoot for $11,000 but, it sounds to me like the 970 will treat you well (it's in good operateing condition) and with that in mind, it probably is worth $11,900 but, I wouldn't go over $11,500.

He just has to knock a little off to sell it, IMO.

/ JD 970 #8  
For comparison, I gave $11,500 for my 2004 790 last Spring, 380 hours w/300 loader & 5' Woods finish mower, R-4 tires. ~~ grnspot110