Buying Advice tested a 2520 today: my thoughts

/ tested a 2520 today: my thoughts #1  

Magilla1

So I've been wanting to buy a 2320, but my local dealer doesn't have one I can try out. He does have a used 2520 and he let me try it out at home this weekend. I played with it for awhile, and here are my first thoughts:

1. I'm dying to own a Deere! Dealers are smart to let you try them at home -- you don't want to let it go!

2. The 2520 seems a little too heavy to use as a mower. The grass stopped growing here a couple of weeks ago, but I had a few patches that I left high, so I got to test the MMM on this unit. It cut just fine, but the weight of this machine really seemed to leave pretty significant marks. I live on tough red clay with well established turf, and it hasn't rained here in a couple of weeks. This unit has R-4s on it, and perhaps the turf tires I want would make a big difference.

3. Low gear really is pretty slow for mowing a big open area. High is far faster than you need, but it bogs down a lot on my hills, at least. So, because I have both flat areas and significant slopes in my grassed areas, I'm going to have to use low. Really wish it had a third, middle gear.

4. The FEL on the 2520 is really nice, quick and responsive. I was very happy with it. I also used it to make sort of a quick little trail in some thick stuff I have on a powerline going through my woods. It did the job pretty well in 4 or 5 passes.

5. The R-4s stink. Chunky enough to damage your lawn, but not good traction when you're working in the woods. A little mud and a little slope, and it's just not very good. Admittedly, I'm new to the unit and I'd probably work it better with time, but I'm guessing the R-4s would be lousy in the snow. It seems to me turf tires are the way to go with mowing when it's warm, then chains when the snow comes.

6. The ergonomics of the 2520 were great for me. Comfortable, well-thought-out controls. Really don't see much room for improvement here.

7. This is one sturdy machine. I've sat on a 2305. That just is a different thing. I'm not dumping on the 2305, and I might even buy the new 1026 when it comes out. But the 2520 is a moose compared to the 2305.

8. I have a somewhat bumpy lawn in spots, but even so, the ride on the 2520 (at least with the FEL on) was pretty doggone bouncy. I'm a sturdy fellow so I don't mind, but I did think the bigger wheels/wider tires/heavier weight would smooth things over more than the Sears lawn tractor I used to use to mow. It did a little better, but not all that much better.

Anyway, for those of you shopping, I thought I'd share at least one guy's hands-on, first-hour impressions. Wish I could try the 2320; I think I'm still leaning towards it just to save the bucks and because a bit lighter machine might be better for mowing.

/ tested a 2520 today: my thoughts #2  
2320 might be lighter, but it will be on smaller tires, so your pounds per square inch might end up being the same. The tires on your used 2520 MIGHT be fluid filled, and that adds alot of weight. :confused:

/ tested a 2520 today: my thoughts #3  
Like Deadman stated,could be fluid filled. I use a 2520 to cut grass,and there aren't any "marks" left by the tires.:thumbsup:

Greg

/ tested a 2520 today: my thoughts #4  
Really there can't be much difference between the 2320 and the 2520 when you compare apples to apples. According to Deere the 2520 is 205 lbs more than the 2320.

When mowing normally you would loose the fel, that would take most of the bounce out of it. Any rough spots that are still in your lawn can be smoothed out once you get your own tractor.

It would be good to know if a 2720 has enough power to mow in high range, it is only 313 lbs more than the 2320.

All three of these are little tractors that should be great to mow open lawns with assuming you have the proper tires and mowers. Will the dealer cut you a break on the used 2520?

/ tested a 2520 today: my thoughts
roughly he's talking about $4,000 less for the used 2520 compared to a new one w/ the same equipment. The used one had 250 hours on it and looks used but seems to have been reasonably cared for.

/ tested a 2520 today: my thoughts #6  
roughly he's talking about $4,000 less for the used 2520 compared to a new one w/ the same equipment. The used one had 250 hours on it and looks used but seems to have been reasonably cared for.
Is mowing your only plans for the tractor?

/ tested a 2520 today: my thoughts #7  
Did you check tire pressure? Tires are your suspension and some folks inflate tractor tires to truck or auto pressure. My tractor says something like 44 up front and 16 in the back. I suspect fluid filled tires might not be as cushy as an all air tire but I have no experience to back up that theory.

If I am reading correctly that tractor without the mower or the loader weighs about a ton. That is about a half ton lighter than my 870. My 870 leaves marks with ag tires if I try to mow my yard within 2 weeks of rain in the summer. It still makes a mess if it is dry and I am not going to buy lawn tires. I can mow 8 acres of pasture with a brush cutter at 6 mph and not fuss about the smoothness of the ride but my pastures are smooth except for some worn down terraces.

/ tested a 2520 today: my thoughts #8  
I have a 2520 with FEL and BH and even with the turfs, the weight leaves depressions in the lawn - worse when the lawn is wet.
So will a sharp turn rip up some sod - and worse still in 4WD.

The rubber on the turfs seems rather thin - I am contemplating a more rugged tire for when I start going deeper into the woods and making trails to do it.

Most of my 'trails' are rather bumpy from pine tree roots and New England granite. The big tires do tend to make for a bit bouncy ride, but I recall tractor rides in my youth as being bouncy anyway,(or at least any time a bit of speed was added to the mix) so I expected it.

I've done a tiny bit of snow removal with the FEL.
The turfs were OK in the snow actually. Prbably would have troubles with a plow blade, though.
I need a plow or snow blower and the walk behind is good enough for me and the amount of snow we get here.

/ tested a 2520 today: my thoughts #9  
My 2320 will leave depressions on my parents' lawn when I use it if the ground is the least bit wet. My rear tires are loaded on that machine. It will not, however, scuff the grass. Having mowed with an X series mower, I can say this machine mows as well as, if not better than, the X. The depressions are not noted unless, again, the ground is moist or "hollow."

John M

/ tested a 2520 today: my thoughts #10  
This is exactly why I never added fluid to my tires, but rather use the ballast box when needing rear weight. I mow my land that on a floodplain of a river, so weight kills the turf as you mow.