Buying Advice Need advice on what tractor to buy for 120 acres

/ Need advice on what tractor to buy for 120 acres #1  

endchiro

Own 120 acres with 50-60 acres tillable, rest in timber, five acres in crp and a few acres in small food plots. Using mostly for deer and turkey hunting. Local farmer will likely farm the 50-60. Ground sits on hillsides with some bottom wet ground. Will definately need 4wd.
Uses:
rough cut mowing, working ground with tiller and or disc cultivator setup for food plots, loader work to maintain water crossings and gravel roads, and hole digging for trees and or fence posts. Largest food plot, aside from the 50 acres, is 5 acres.
I would appreciate some different ideas. I have considered the 4720 but was told by another food plot hunter that it was not a big enough tractor to handle certain situations. He told me to look at the 5000 series. He also said don't go with a cab because it gets in the way with bucket work and possibly in the timber. I like the idea of a cab and never want to be underpowered but don't want to spend a ton on a tractor that will be used primarily on the weekends but will keep for a long time. How about a few different thoughts? Thanks..

/ Need advice on what tractor to buy for 120 acres #2  
What climate? Cold=Cab!

/ Need advice on what tractor to buy for 120 acres
Central Illinois

/ Need advice on what tractor to buy for 120 acres #4  
50+ HP would be as low as I would go.

/ Need advice on what tractor to buy for 120 acres
What specific tractors should I consider?

/ Need advice on what tractor to buy for 120 acres #6  
I would be looking at something in the 75+ pto hp range. When you go with that size of tractor they hold their value much better and are more comfortable if you have a cab. If you are wanting to save $ the 5083E or 5093E would offer a good amount of hp and the comforts of a cab in a value based tractor. I was quoted last week $40 for a 5083E. If you want every bell and whistle look at the 5085M or 5095M. They are decked out to the max but run about 8-10k more and are built in the USA

/ Need advice on what tractor to buy for 120 acres #7  
75 HP would be nice at times but an overkill since you do not plan to row crop.

Actually two would be nice. The 50 HP would be trying to do all with one tractor.

Do you have to have new? What is your budget for total equipment purchase?

/ Need advice on what tractor to buy for 120 acres #8  
The comment about cab tractors in the woods is heard alot. The truth of the matter is the cabs and their glass are tougher than most people think. That said the fastest way to loose your tractor investment is to beat it up in the woods. I use a pole saw and chain saw to clear trails so that I don't tear up my tractors or get myself hurt. A branch large enough to take out the tractors glass is big enough to take out your neck and face too.

/ Need advice on what tractor to buy for 120 acres #9  
Don't see many commercial units that have loaders without a cab.

Size will depend on what equipment you have, how fast the job must be done and your budget. :)

/ Need advice on what tractor to buy for 120 acres #10  
Just to provide some "counter-point" to tractor size stated......

I have about the same amount of land as you. Mine is all wooded and no crops are grown.....or planned to be grown other than for deer. I put in about 6 acres of food plots and keep lots of trails free of timber, and planted in clover. I suppose we have a couple miles of trails all told.

I see lots of folks recommend big tractors and I always wonder why? I can till an acre in about an hour or so with my 5' KK tiller. I have mostly pine trees (and a some aspen and oaks) so I can pick up almost any size tree with my loader and grapple. My rig is pretty nimble in the woods. Five foot implements are affordable and seem "big enough" for most chores (although sometimes I could wish for a bigger mower).

Also, I operate a disc harrow, rotary cutter, cone spreader, landscape rake, box blade, stump grinder, ripper, tiller, and I own a plow (that I don't use).

Clearing my trails for the first time was hard on my tractor (and me). It would have been hard on a cab too....but now that I have opened my land, I think a cab would be fine. I just don't need a cab....or really want one as I like being out in the fresh air....and I don't do winter chores or work in bad weather. (I do see them as adding safety however.....and have been smacked in the face with a limb.)

I think your likely getting good advice on the 5000 series Deere for your purposes.....I am just reciting my needs on my land. Their are lots of thoughts on tractor sizes. I'm happy with my tractor choice.

Also, a big factor for me is hauling. I need to occasional haul my tractor and an implement to help out my kids or for repairs if needed, etc. A bigger tractor could not be hauled by my vehicle and trailers.

As said on budgets......my budget was about 25k for tractor and implements. For me its all about deer hunting and managing my land. And I like my implements. :thumbsup:

Good luck on your decision.