John Deere 950

/ John Deere 950 #11  
I just traded in my Yanmar 276D on a new JD2520. I think the Yanmar and the JD950 are pretty much the same. My Yanmar was 27HP and was 4wd.

All I can say is I sure hope the new 2520 is a bulletproof as that Yanmar was. All I did to it in 25 years was to change the oil, and a few batteries. I ran a 72" RFM on it (also branded Yanmar) and for a while a rear blade for snow removal, which was a PITA, until I got my X495 with the front quickhitch and blade. (The blade is now on the 2520)

REV

/ John Deere 950
Personally, I would go for the 950 because of it's known reliability, newer, possibly more items available for it, and the size fits my needs better. The 1120 is bigger and heavier which might be a plus for your snow handling needs. I know that some of the earlier JD diesels had some negatives associated with them. Whether the 1120 falls into this category, I don't know. I also can't comment on the starting ability of the 1120 in cold weather.

That is pretty much what I have read about the Yanmar diesels that they are a very good motor. I was curious about the 1120, the same place has one but the hours are over 6100, I will ask if its been re-built but suspect that being a dealer there would be no record, if it hasn't its probably not far off much more than the 1380 on the 950.

Trying to kill 2 birds with one stone and attempt to stay in a budget, also found a 920 with 2100 hrs approximately but also has a FEL and a snow-blower with hydraulic chute. This would fill both my needs for moving snow for the remainder of the season and moving some fill around in the spring/summer but have heard mixed things about the 920/1020/1120 series. Actually think that the 920 is probably the 1020 under another number and marketed outside the US as a guess. Both look to be 2.5 litre diesels, similar production years, the 950 I suspect followed this production run. Depending on how it looks, I could get both attachments that I need with the 920 less than I could get the 950 and buying attachments seperatelty then having to arrange delivery for 3 things instead of one shot. Its tempting to just get one machine and be done with it. If I get the 950, may just get a blade for this year for it. I can't find a newer compact of any make JD or otherwise that is less than 5 figures in price which is what I am trying to avoid. Also tempting just to grab a snow blower attachment for my JD LA 145 lawn tractor but don't see that as being something that would last all that long nor the lawn tractor if I also snowblow with it

/ John Deere 950 #13  
The only thing I can think of is this.
Make sure an older tractor comes with the dedicated attachments you think you may need.

Reason being, I bought an older model 855. Plenty of tractor for the chores I do and the generic implements I use. Didn't need a mid mount mower at the time I bought the tractor, so wasn't too concerned about it not being with the tractor. Now my "mowing tractor" is about to die, and I'm having trouble finding a mid mount mower deck and hangers for this model.

Remember, it will do 27hp work just fine. And a lot of other tasks you might not think it is capable of. Don't be disappointed if it won't do 40hp work.

Enjoy
Wyo

/ John Deere 950
Saw the 950 and its in good shape mechanically, I was impressed just how easy it was to steer, it does have a power assist steering and it was on the cooler side today with snow -12 degrees celcius colder in the wind making it feel at least 0 degrees Farenheit (-18 Celcius), and it moved around very well I thought, steering was really responsive and easy to spin a nice tight turning circle. Lots of clutch and every gear was really easy to get into. Not a puff of smoke anywhere, no oil leaks that I could see and everything electric worked on it. Less than 1400 hrs on it so it from what I could see from it and experienced driving it think there is a lot of life left in this tractor making it a plus. The fact that it handled really well and easily in a really cold day with snow was another thing I liked. Tires weren't in bad shape the rears were good, one front tires were a little more cracked however but not too bad. I could see and smell a little bit of diesel around the lines at the side of the motor. No drips or anything just looked 'wet' and if you rubbed your finger on it it smelled I think like diesel. Have a picture a couple of messages back that I attached of it. Not dripping or anything like that maybe just one of the lines weeps a small bit?? That to be honest was the only thing that I saw on this tractor everything else looked really good to me.

Was thinking that I liked the size of it, not too big and not too small think that it would be pretty fuel efficient too. The FEL would be out for this tractor, or would require an aftermarket solution probably far too much for the amount of time that I would need it. Blade would be the thing for this year. The issue that the sales rep mentioned about a blower was that it wasn't impossible it would run it but in heavy snow you would find that it could clog if the engine bogged down and you didn't get it into neutral quick, then you'd have to manually clear the blockage. He thought that it could be an annoyance and that a blade would probably be the better bet.

On to the 920 possibly tomorrow after calling the seller, would like to see that one first before making a decision but have to say a lot of pluses on that 950 so far

/ John Deere 950
JD 920 was a rougher than that of the 950, the 920 has been put through some work for sure. The snow blower was also pretty rusty and had years on it for sure. The hydraulic pump was changed on the 920 so I think he was running a JD 250 loader on it if I have that correct, certainly larger than that you could run straight from stock. Had the 4 pin quick disconnect with the legs that supported it. More FEL than I would ever need though but I suppose better than too little. The tires were in good shape, the tractor was well rough and tired looking. Had an exhaust or some kind of leak looked like right at the clutch housing, saw some smoke coming from that. It struck me like a unit every couple of weeks something would need attention though minor just because everything looked like it was either done not that long ago or was going to need some attention soon. Still had lots of power and the loader was big. THe price was the big option, we are over 1000 dollars apart and in a way he doesn't really want to sell it unless he gets his price. He bought a new JD 4000 series with a cab 3 years ago so that was the reason for selling but he still really likes his old 920 so we are just not going to get to common ground on that one. Just because its "tired" and might require more upkeep than I really would be looking at doing since its been worked hard in its life think this one will pass by.

I think that I can negotiate the price of the 950 with a blade for the price I am comfortable with, but going to look at a MF 135 diesel with a snow blower first before signing anything. 10 years older but about 10 more horsepower than that of the 950 and supposed to be completely rebuilt and painted with a blower as part of the sale

/ John Deere 950
Thanks to everyone that contributed their thoughts, tips and suggestions. Although I thought that I would have to make the decision on 2 units in the end, the dealer was not willing to give me the price that I wanted and ended up going with the private sale and the MF 135 will be delivered this weekend unless something comes up. It is in great shape and even the snow blower is in near mint shape as well. It was both good and bad showing up to look at it since it was -27 degrees Celcius, which is about -16 Farenheit bad for being out in that temperature but good to really see what the unit was going to be like in that kind of temperature. They seller didn't start it and didn't want to, he wanted to wait and start it when I got there to get a fair impression of it. It was plugged in that was it. Started right up though, took a while for the transmission to warm up so that I could work through the gears but once it got going, went into all gears, hi and low without an issue, clutch was good, brakes were good and the snow blower worked really well. A lot of new parts on this, pistons, bearings, crankshaft and clutches all replaced even the hood and instrument panel are new. I think that it was a really good find and looking forward to getting the rest of my snow removed on the weekend with it. Thanks again for all that gave advice

/ John Deere 950 #17  
I had an 850 and it was a good tractor. I used it for shredding and other work, but no snow moving here in Texas. It was reliable, used little fuel and had no mechnical issues at all for me.

/ John Deere 950 #18  
The 750's a good tractor for it's vintage. I use one at work, pretty reliable I'd say, for a tractor that's been used/abused so much.

/ John Deere 950
Worked out well, was a little concerned upon delivery as it wouldn't start, boosted the battery still wouldn't start worked out that the GFI on the seller's garage must have tripped and though it was plugged in there was no electricity going to the block heater. Plugged it in for 15 minutes and it fired up. That night the temperature dropped to -25 degrees and stayed there through the next day. Plugged it in for a couple of hours made sure the battery was charged and it started up in about a second, managed to get the snow cleared in about 40 minutes instead of 4.5 hrs by hand...big improvement and it runs well, have to get used to driving in reverse for long periods again. Thanks again for everyone that dropped by and gave some advice and opinions.

Attachments

• MF 135 #1.jpg
    MF 135 #1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 233