Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
Well, I mentioned in another thread that I'd outline the reasons why I traded my B2920 Kubota in for a Deere 2320. And at the risk of criticism, I'm writing this up to save someone in my position the expense of making the same mistake... I believe the more you learn from other's experiences, the better able you are to make an informed decision for yourself.

In hindsight, my problem came from thinking that I could read specs on brochures to reach my decision instead of actual seat time. While I did drive both tractors briefly at the dealers, there was a week between test drives. I think anyone looking into these ought to spend time on whatever machines they're comparing back-to-back. Better yet, get the dealer to drop one off on your property. I'm not suggesting that reading this will cause you to reach the same conclusion - again, just for information.

On paper, the B2920 is the better buy: 3-speed hydro tranny, better hp-to-dollar ratio, stronger loader, higher hydraulic pump output, etc. It also came with the larger tires and the attachments were less expensive, but no less robust (in my opinion).

But, in reality - again to my opinion - it wasn't until I owned it for a year that certain cost-cutting features made me dissatisfied. I've written over and over about the pedal configuration - I couldn't get the dealer to fix the sticky pedal issue, so when fully depressed, either forward or reverse, it would stick. This resulted in two memorable experiences where I had a "panic" stop - stabbing at the brake. It was only momentary, mind you, but disconcerting nonetheless. Also, I brushhog by backing up as close to an embankment as I can - the tractor foot pedals caused me to be quite nervous that I'd roll backward, even though I was on solid ground. With the brake pedal on the opposite side, I feel that I can have confidence that I can position myself into place without risk of rollover.

Other cost-cutting features: I just don't like engaging the clutch to operate the PTO. The Deere's electronic PTO is far superior.

It sounds silly, but the 4WD lamp on the dash of the Deere is really nice when operating in the dark.

Another small detail, but nice in practice: you have to hold the Kubota key in place to glow the plugs, while the Deere has a detent in the key position that allows you to twist and release - wait for the dash light to extinguish - and turn over the tractor. I will say, it was nice to have the key on the Kubota positioned on the side of the dash, instead of in front of your knee - although I can't say as I've knocked into the Deere key yet.

On the Kubota, the foldable ROPS design allows for a lot of annoying and loud vibration (at idle) where the "split" meets. Kubota does offer two screws that you can tighten to prevent this, but I had forward-facing work lamps positioned in the same location. The forward-leaning top half of the ROPS on the Deere prevents this simply by having gravity working to keep the ROPS quiet.

It wasn't until I owned the B2920 for a while that I discovered that position control is vastly superior to 1/4 inching. Simple as that.

For the mid-mount mower, on the Kubota, you have to remove two pins and two little ramps and position them before you can drive over the deck. From the angle of the ramps, it would cause the mower deck to slide across the concrete floor of my garage unless I gave it some "oomph." The multiple brackets reminded me more of mid-80s design than what I would have expected in a new design for 2010. I found it very difficult to connect the linkage. The Deere design is far better, both in drive-over design as well as the support linkage, not to mention the ability to move it around with the 3-point.

The steering on the Kubota is very light and easy to operate, but no matter whether I had the tractor in 2WD or 4WD, the turf tires tore up the lawn any time I changed direction more than about 35-40 degrees - forget a full turn. It simply comes down to the geometry of the axle. The Deere geometry prevents the tires from tearing up the grass.

To access the motor on the Kubota, you have to lift the hood, then loosen 2 plastic screws, then remove 3 separate panels. I like the simplicity of lifting the Deere hood as one unit.

Finally, the loader: removal of the loader on the Deere is as simple as can be. Lift two levers (even sitting in the seat), put a little pressure on the joystick and back away. On the Kubota, however, you have to adjust the joystick, get off the tractor - and on each side of the loader, pull pins, drop levers, reconnect pins and get back on. Adjust the joystick again. Reach over on both sides and pull out two more removable pins and drop them into a bracket. Adjust the joystick once more and then back away. Also, it's not as easy for me to estimate whether the bucket is level based upon a parallel bracket - the Deere's level indicator rod works simply and accurately.

It is worth noting that the seat assembly is pretty nice on the Kubota - with springs, as opposed to rubber bumpers. Closer to a suspension seat, which is very comfortable. But, it's black and gets pretty hot in the sun.

Well, there it is. I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment with the 2320. Hopefully, I'll soon forget that it just cost me a little more than the next person.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #2  
Well, there it is. I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment with the 2320. Hopefully, I'll soon forget that it just cost me a little more than the next person.

I am sure someone out there will be very happy with a slightly used bargain price B2920

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #3  
I am sure someone out there will be very happy with a slightly used bargain price B2920

Not quite the bargain since the dealer who has it now has to make a profit on it, over and above the amount allowed the OP for trade in.

To the OP. Glad you like your new Deere. Enjoy it for many, many years.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #4  
Not quite the bargain since the dealer who has it now has to make a profit on it, over and above the amount allowed the OP for trade in.

To the OP. Glad you like your new Deere. Enjoy it for many, many years.

so the dealer makes some more profit, the OP is happier with his new gear and someone out there will get a barely used B2920 at a good price

it all works out in the end

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #5  
After several months of researching, I also thought the B2920 was the tractor for me, but after spending some time on it, I bought a BX2660. The next time I looked, I bought a Grand L. I do really like the B2630/B3030, but won't buy anything without position control such as on the Bxx20 Series.

We own a John Deere with the brake on the left and both my wife and I hate it and prefer the Kubota HST pedal over John Deere, but won't take the financial hit to get rid of it. Sometimes it just comes down to "different strokes".

Glad you wound up with a tractor you like.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #6  
I think you made the right decision to swap, even with the cost. Life is too short to beat yourself up over the swap cost. Spread over time, it becomes even less.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320
Thanks, for the encouragement, Zebrafive - you only live once, right?

TripleR -

I think the thing that stands out to me as a demerit to the B2x20 series is that the forward and reverse pedals are SEPARATE, rather than the treadle pedal design on the BX series and, I believe, many of the L-series. I think I could have lived with the treadle design, as I could feather the tractor backward to the edge of the drop-off. But, it's not possible with the separate pedals that are more than a footprint distance apart.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #8  
Thanks, for the encouragement, Zebrafive - you only live once, right?

TripleR -

I think the thing that stands out to me as a demerit to the B2x20 series is that the forward and reverse pedals are SEPARATE, rather than the treadle pedal design on the BX series and, I believe, many of the L-series. I think I could have lived with the treadle design, as I could feather the tractor backward to the edge of the drop-off. But, it's not possible with the separate pedals that are more than a footprint distance apart.

I know what you mean as there doesn't seem to be any "standardization" between the models. Our BX2200 had the treadle and my wife loved it, but it made me twist my foot to the side to use it and with an arthritic knee that was uncomfortable. When we bought the BX2660 which does have the separation, my wife didn't like it as she had to shift her foot, while I on the other hand no longer had to angle my knee and my foot is big enough not to require much for me to get from one to the other. My wife has gotten accustomed to the BX and likes it now as there is more room on the deck.

Now to confuse things even more, we bought a used Grand L5030 HSTC which has the full treadle, but due to the seat height, I can easily rest my foot on it and use the rocking motion which is really handy in tight spots. My wife also drives the L5030 sometimes and naturally likes the treadle.

Before buying the L5030, we looked at the Lxx00 and Grand L 40 Series and quickly ruled the Lxx00 out as neither of us felt the HST pedals were comfortable, but liked those on the Grand L40 Series.

We have used the dual pedal John Deere for many years starting with a 425 which we still have and our 2305. While we really don't dislike the twin pedal system, we prefer the Kubota setup. These are the reasons why I recommend anyone looking for a new tractor to try them all out as much as possible and even rent one if they can as a trip around the parking lot isn't going to tell you what you are going to feel like after a few hours.

If everyone liked the same things, there would only be one brand; sounds like you wound up with the right tractor for you and that's what counts.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #9  
I listed the pros of the JD 2520 vs Kubota B2620 and in my mind the JD was the clear winner.

JD Pros
Side by Side HST Pedal
Standard 40 Amp Alternator
Electric Clutch Independent PTO
Usable Differential Brakes On the Left
300 lbs Heavier
Run Dry Refueling
Quick Attach Loader (much easier than the Kubota)
Quick Attach Loader Bucket (easy to add forks)
3PT Position control
Rate HP at lower RPM
Bigger Hydro Pump
Strong 3PT Hitch
Duel seat backhoe much easier the Kutoba's awkward lift rotate and lock
I like the color green (just the icing on the cake)

Kubota Pros
3 speed transmission
Has temp gauge
Factory thumb option
Marginally cheaper (The reason is obvious)

Honestly I don't feel like I am missing anything with the 2 speed transmission. High is great for moving around the property and low is good for grunt work.

/ Owner review of Kubota B2920 v. Deere 2320 #10  
Having never had the side by side pedal arrangement, I cannot comment. I do not have an instinct for a left foot brake, but I could adjust, I'm sure. My newer BX did not have the single rocker HST pedal anymore either, but I find the separation on the B is farther apart and I've not completely adjusted to it yet.

The L, M, H range is pretty nice. I don't think it is a deal breaker, but it is wonderful to have the choices and I find the more I have it, the more I select the appropriate speed. My BX only had the two range, and I rarely used the high.

I also believe the one piece hood found on other OEMs makes for easier access to the engine. Kubota has stayed with the side curtain style of days gone by and I have wondered what their thinking is and why.

For me, the Kubota Bxx20 was a great match and I simply prefer the local Kubota dealer. That played a big part. I also found the Kubota B2320 was $1800 less than the JD2320. I'd have been hard pressed to find that extra JD value. I don't ever buy an MMM so the drive over feature wasn't important to me. I could have saved another $1200 in buying an LS, but didn't have that warm secure feeling from the dealership.

I've also never liked the way the hydraulic hoses flop around underneath on the JD and most other manufacturers. I prefer Kubota's routing of hard lines. Each to his own.

Frankly, I'd probably be happy with any similar sized CUT. Each would have its own pluses and minuses. Frankly, I'd have been happy with a JD, MF and even the LS.

I'm very happy for BXowner. Enjoy your new Deere.