Should I buy the JD X729 ? help..

/ Should I buy the JD X729 ? help.. #1  

blackknightjester

Tractor
JD X729
I am seriously considering buying the JD X729 but would really like to hear from other owners or people that have experience with the unit and advise if it is truly a good machine in all respects. Can I expect to get years and years out of it or will I have breakage issues. Also the 4wd & 4ws.... are they what they are cracked up to be. Will I have scuffing, rutting etc. And lastly, for this large sum of money should be be looking at other brands/models. I have 3 acres to mow and plan on pulling a very large roller (800+lbs) and large cart filled with wood as we run a tree service so I thought the 4wd & 4ws would be the way to go. Will the transaxles hold up ? Look forward to hearing back from you. Bernie, 518-399-1572 and bkuczek@nycap.rr.com are my phone & email. thanks

/ Should I buy the JD X729 ? help.. #2  
I have a 749 and have been well pleased with it so far. Today I used it to chip up branches and limbs on a new lawn I am building for one of my customers. Also used it with a 5' Frontier landscape rake to smooth out the ground and gather up debris (large rocks, small branches etc.). Very manueverable and gets around well I think.

I choose the diesel engine rather than the gas motor and have been stunned by how little fuel it uses. No shortage of power with the diesel engine either, operating the chipper with a large branch I can not hear it slow down.

Any reason why you are looking at the 729 instead of the 749?

/ Should I buy the JD X729 ? help..
I really do like diesel engines but was very nervous about the exhaust spout being in front and having to deal with the diesel smell as I am sure the gas would have a less offensive exhaust odor. What tires did you get on it, I would assume those HDAPS knobby type. Have you used the machine for cutting yet and if so what is your opinion ? Do you think it would pull a huge roller (600-800 lbs)

/ Should I buy the JD X729 ? help.. #4  
might want to step up to a sub compact.

/ Should I buy the JD X729 ? help.. #5  
I haven't noticed the exhaust being a problem so far.

I would think pulling the roller is doable since the roller is about half the weight of the 749. What is the deal with this roller anyway? What is it used for?

edit, I have the hdap tires, so far so good. Mowed once so far did a good job mulching the lawn.

/ Should I buy the JD X729 ? help.. #6  
If the x700 series is anything like the older 400 series (and I think they are), you'll have no problem with either utility or durability. The 800 lb roller won't be a problem, and neither will a load of firewood as long as your trailer isn't too big. I regularly pull a 3 x 6 CMI trailer around full of dirt (~1000 lbs of dirt and trailer) up steep hills.

AWS is the cat's meow when it comes to mowing and maneuverability. Also great for snow plowing (you can still steer with a light front end). It's great on hills too, as your drive wheels are always pointed in the drive direction. But, it can tear you lawn, depending on conditions and lawn type. Avoid turning while not moving on wet ground, especially on hills.

/ Should I buy the JD X729 ? help.. #7  
I choose the diesel engine rather than the gas motor and have been stunned by how little fuel it uses. No shortage of power with the diesel engine either

Any reason why you are looking at the 729 instead of the 749?

I've owned the X585 and the X748. You really want the diesel for both power and fuel usage, trust me. I am so happy I upgraded to the diesel. :thumbsup:

/ Should I buy the JD X729 ? help..
DoubleL,

you state that you definitely have and would recommend the diesel. As stated above I am very worried about "diesel" exhaust especially since the exhaust spout is up front on these machines and do not want to have to smell diesel exhaust for hours while cutting lawn or whatever. what are you feelings on this.
As far as the fuel savings it looks like the diesel wins hands down and especially since gas is going up and tank is 6.5gal I can imagine that "filling up" will be kinda expensive, so I do like the diesel savings there. I see that the gas does have more horse power than the diesel but can only imagine that is not an issue, but would also like comments on this too. thanks

I really think I am going to order the unit with the tuft tires of the same size as I do not really think I need the HDAP's as no snow work or "dirt" work so traction is not a real big issue other than the 800 roller and pulling a cart full of wood chunks (probably like 2 big wheel barrels full) and since I have 4wd I don't think the more aggressive tires are needed. I would guess that John Deere is "pushing" these tires to save their butts as you probably would need them for snow/dirt applications and customers would be pissed if they chose turf tires and could not get traction.... agreed ??

/ Should I buy the JD X729 ? help.. #9  
DoubleL,

you state that you definitely have and would recommend the diesel. As stated above I am very worried about "diesel" exhaust especially since the exhaust spout is up front on these machines and do not want to have to smell diesel exhaust for hours while cutting lawn or whatever. what are you feelings on this.
As far as the fuel savings it looks like the diesel wins hands down and especially since gas is going up and tank is 6.5gal I can imagine that "filling up" will be kinda expensive, so I do like the diesel savings there. I see that the gas does have more horse power than the diesel but can only imagine that is not an issue, but would also like comments on this too. thanks

I really think I am going to order the unit with the tuft tires of the same size as I do not really think I need the HDAP's as no snow work or "dirt" work so traction is not a real big issue other than the 800 roller and pulling a cart full of wood chunks (probably like 2 big wheel barrels full) and since I have 4wd I don't think the more aggressive tires are needed. I would guess that John Deere is "pushing" these tires to save their butts as you probably would need them for snow/dirt applications and customers would be pissed if they chose turf tires and could not get traction.... agreed ??

I have the HDAPs and have no tuff tearing issues.

My x749 puts a smile on my face every time I use it!:thumbsup:

/ Should I buy the JD X729 ? help.. #10  
DoubleL,

No issues at all with the 748 diesel exhaust smell or the the x585 gas smell. You smell the diesel when starting up sometimes I suppose more so than you did with the x585 but not after a few seconds or when mowing or driving. What is always more of an issue for me is the dust/pollen while mowing. I wear a simple dust mask otherwise I am sneezing for a few hours after mowing.

I mow a lot of steep areas and blow snow so I need the HDAP tires, I even add chains in the snow season on the rears. I really don't have issues with the aggressive tires on the lawn but then again I don't have a pristine lawn so it's not an issue to me. If you are primarily mowing flat areas and not blowing snow or working in mud/dirt areas by all means get the turf tires.

The diesel gives more torque, and better fuel economy, the difference I've experienced has converted me to diesel engines, not going back to gas for a tractor again. :)