Hydro vs Power Reverser

/ Hydro vs Power Reverser #21  
I was using an Agco 90 hp today for awhile. It had the Power Reverser paddle on the left of the steering wheel. Clutch was on left, two brakes (split pedals) on right and foot throttle on right. On the right fender was a short lever with push button that allowed selection of range 1-5 (I think) and you could shift up or down while moving without the clutch. While I really like the Hydro on my 3320 there were times when we wanted range 1 for power and then shift to 4 or 5 when moving. A lot easier than coming to a full stop to change ranges as on the JD.

/ Hydro vs Power Reverser #22  
You are thinking about your engine pistons, etc but nothing about the pistons and rotating groups in your hydro trans. The faster the input shaft is running to the trans, the faster the pump is rotating. That reduces the stress on each individual hydro piston that is pumping. It basically spreads the work around. It also moves more oil which keeps things cooler.

If it's a hydro, run the engine at the PTO marker (2,600 rpm?) if you are working it at all. Your hydro will thank you!

/ Hydro vs Power Reverser
You are thinking about your engine pistons, etc but nothing about the pistons and rotating groups in your hydro trans. The faster the input shaft is running to the trans, the faster the pump is rotating. That reduces the stress on each individual hydro piston that is pumping. It basically spreads the work around. It also moves more oil which keeps things cooler.

If it's a hydro, run the engine at the PTO marker (2,600 rpm?) if you are working it at all. Your hydro will thank you!

Well ETech, thx for the tech education-yes I am thinking about engine pistons and you have pointed out some technical aspects of a hydro which I was not aware of. As to my original post, I was looking for an opinion on hydro vs p'reverser and got plenty of good suggestions.

I guess I'm just an old dog though who has a tough time with things running at RPM's at a higher level then a lower one that gets the job done. And when I say "old dog", I'm not kidding as 49 years ago I was working my way through college running among other things, an 840 Ford LB with a 4 speed shuttle shift and Eimco driving front axle- and believe me in those days a 4WD loader backhoe was a rare animal.

In any case, back to your point, the PTO rated engine speed is in fact 2400. typically, I plow (6' Meyers) usually at no higher than 2100, 2nd range, depending of course on depth and weight of the snow. this last storm we had was 7" of powder, piece of cake.

Like I said, I've always operated at the lowest RPM that would get the job done. One thing you could clarify though is a few guys have posted that their loader response time is NOT RPM related. I must have a unique 3320 because I can assure you that the cycle time at 2000 is noticeably quicker than it is at say 1500- how can it NOT be related to RPM's?

/ Hydro vs Power Reverser #25  
I guess I'm just an old dog though who has a tough time with things running at RPM's at a higher level then a lower one that gets the job done.

Old dog here too...
Even at a no load idle, I keep the RPM's at about 1500. Anything else, I'll up it to suit the task at hand.

/ Hydro vs Power Reverser #26  
I run mine faster than I used to but my 110tlb fel is so fast I have a hard time controlling it above 1800 rpm. On the 4520 I use the auto throttle most of the time and can leave the engine throttle at 1200 rpm. Wish the 110 had the upgraded cruise that the 4520 has.

You are correct that these small diesels are made to run at faster rpm's than the older engine designs. I suspect too much low speed idling causes more problems than some people know.

I've noticed that many of the latest models of skid-steers and excavators have "auto-idle down". That is, while operating at higher rpms if you aren't "working" the machine for a set time - the engine drops back to idle. The moment you hit any of the controls the engine ramps back up to the previous operating rpms.

Improved fuel economy and a "sanity break" for your eardrums, etc.

Yep... I'd really like to see the video of the guy using his loader and 110 running at PTO rpms!!! :eek: Better have a 5-point harness on!!

1,750-1,800 is the "sweet spot" for nearly everything. 'cept maybe 1,600 is a little bit smoother for running the hoe.

AKfish

/ Hydro vs Power Reverser
AKFish and Roy- Glad i'm not the only one with that mentality. By the way-idle down is not just limited to small machines- we did some work at our fairgrounds this past summer and rented a Liebharr 924 excavator-a decent sized machine (about 72,000 lbs.) I can't tell you the exact timing but if you are not doing anything for a few seconds, it drops down into idle. the minute you activate any function, it jumps back up to the preset RPM. Call it "piston travel" or wasted fuel, RPM's beyond what you need is a waste of money-IMO.