Automotive style cruise upgrade for 4000 series?

/ Automotive style cruise upgrade for 4000 series? #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
I've been inching along in my quest to buy another tractor... Most of my questions regarding a new 4000 cab tractor have been addressed very well by the many owner's here on TBN.

For that, I'm grateful! :thumbsup:

However, I have one last request - how does the automotive style cruise work and is it a real improvement over the standard package - Load Match, Speed Match, Motion Match??

It's not a big expense... I just don't know how it's gonna make operating the tractor; easier, better, improved, efficient, etc., etc.

Thanks in advance.

(Oh yeah, for those who might be interested in the new SCV package available for the 4000 series - I have NO IDEA (and neither does John Deere or a bevy of salespeople) what the 4th and 5th SCV will cost!!! :confused2: Indeed, as of yesterday there is not even a "build code" available to dealers when configuring a new tractor... go figure~)

AKfish

/ Automotive style cruise upgrade for 4000 series? #2  
My 4520 originally came with just the standard cruse control, and then when it was in the shop for some minor repairs, I added the automotive style. So I've used both on the same property.

The dedicated switch for the motion match and load match are a nice addition. IIRC with just the standard cruise control, I had to disengage and re-engage to change the cruise speed, with the automotive I can bump the cruise speed up and down while moving. This is the best improvement with the automotive style cruise.

There is also a "set your max speed" feature which is next to worthless. When this came up in another thread, someone else (sorry I can't recall the name to credit this) described the feature as "putting a block of wood under the pedal". The problem is that it's not a "max speed" but a "max pedal push" and as such your speed will vary with load. While the cruise control maintains the set speed under different loads/slopes, the max speed does not. When you have your pedal all the way down your speed will vary. Sad. It would have been great for mowing to be able to just leave your foot on the pedal, and then be able to lift it to slow down for trouble spots.

Very sad, they could have made this a feature where you could vary your speed up to a point, and when you reach that point it's like you had the cruise control on. But they took the easy way out (from a "how they did the software" point of view) :(.

Summary:
The ability to change you cruise speed on the fly make it worth it.
I use the motion match to change the responsiveness to quick when parking in the garage to more gently when I'm out working.
I use the load match when running the MX6 rotary cutter.
The Auto-Throttle is nice for driving around.
The "max speed" feature is worthless and poorly thought out.

So if you do any kind of flat open area space stuff (mowing or other activity that has you covering a large area) it's worth it. I suspect that if you do lots of loader work the motion match is worth it. I don't have a loader on my 4520.

Pete

Last edited:
   / Automotive style cruise upgrade for 4000 series? #3  
I agree the AUTO Cruise upgrade is well worth it. Also on my 4720 I have the AUTO THROTTLE switch. I love it!! It raises and lowers rpms as you push and let off hydro pedals. Almost reminds me of the floor mounted throttle control on my previous Power Reverser tractors!! :D

/ Automotive style cruise upgrade for 4000 series? #4  
AKfish,
Comparing the 110 to the 4520 with the upgraded cruise was suprizing to me, you get a lot of bang for the $100 bucks. I recommend it. I do like the auto throttle too it keeps you from lugging the motor.

/ Automotive style cruise upgrade for 4000 series?
Appreciate the feedback! Sounds like a worthwhile option. Gonna add it.

AKfish

/ Automotive style cruise upgrade for 4000 series? #6  
Does anyone know what the AUT toggle switch is for in the 4000 series cab tractor? It is located in front of the yellow PTO switch on the right hand side.

Thank you.

a deere friend 2/9/11

/ Automotive style cruise upgrade for 4000 series? #7  
Auto Throttle

What it does when "ON" is the farther you press the fwd or rev pedal it will automatically raise and lower throttle. I set the throttle lever about 1/4 to 1/2 way up for a "minimum" position and if I push the pedals far enough it raises for me. The minimum position helps the hydraulics work faster than at idle.