Buying Advice Why 1026R vs 2320?

/ Why 1026R vs 2320? #1  

BentTwigBrew

Tractor
Deere F525
Hi everybody! So I've been researching compact tractors for probably six months now and have been lurking here for a lot of information. Wanted to say thanks for being such a cool forum.

I was pretty decided on the 2305, but then this 1026 came into the mix. In looking at the preliminary pricing for the base tractor, the 2320 only seems to be $878 more than a 1026. Why would I not make the jump up to that price point? I can benefit from a smaller sized tractor as I only have 1 acre and that is whats appealing from the 1026 side. In comparing the specs, the 2320 seems to have mostly the same options/features, just on a larger frame. i.e. 63" vs 57.1" wheel base, 109.2" vs 102.6" length, 48" vs 42" height to top of hood, 1660lb vs 1444lb, larger tires, larger load capacity, full cat 1 hitch, you get the point.

I would use this tractor for hauling dirt, rocks, mulch, snow, firewood, box blade for the 1/4m gravel road (shared by 3 houses), tiller, future backhoe, etc. I spend most nights outside 8 months of the year after work playing in the yard and I know I'll get a lot of use out of this. My friends think I'm crazy for wanting to invest in a tractor like this, but a glorified garden tractor just won't satisfy imo.

So anyway, what would be the benefit of a 1026 instead of a 2320...obviously not many have seen these in person, but still worth asking. All I can come up with is a "bit" cheaper and a "bit" smaller...

Psyched to be an official member of TBN!

BTB

/ Why 1026R vs 2320? #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

I have not researched the new 1026 carefully yet, but here are my thoughts on why I would buy a 2320:

-I refuse to buy the first model year of anything-I don't want to be a field tester.
-2320 has split brakes

But, that suspension seat and new fuel tank position looks nice though...

/ Why 1026R vs 2320?
I did notice the split breaks. That seems like an excellent feature and I can definitely see how the new fuel tank position would be beneficial.

Doesn't the 2320 also have a suspension seat?

I forgot to mention that I will also be using this to mow. (75% of the time) I know the 1026 has an auto connect mowing deck but the connect/disconnect on the 2320 seems easy enough. I have not really been able to compare the mowing decks between the 2 models.

Another thing to consider is that my property has some hills to maneuver and I could see how the lower CG of the 1026 helping with stability.

All of this research is making my head spin :confused2: I'm sure I'm looking into this way to much!

/ Why 1026R vs 2320? #4  
Doesn't the 2320 also have a suspension seat?

No, not really.

As for the deck-they are very easy to connect, and I find it very curious why the dropped 2" in size for the new model, the current model is 62".

/ Why 1026R vs 2320? #5  
The 1026 confuses me too. I bought a 2320 instead of a 2305 specifically because I was willing to pay the difference for the larger tires, full Cat 1 3 pt, wheel brakes etc. I know the smaller tractors are very capable but I just don't feel right with the small rear tires. (Maybe that's just me.)

I can't see much market for the 1026 as long as the 2320 is available. I thnk the 1023 will be a big success though if the price ends up similar to the 2305.

/ Why 1026R vs 2320? #6  
The 2320 has a scissor style seat, similar to the X series garden tractors. It is a comfortable seat. I cannot see why someone would choose a 1023 or 1026 over a 2320 unless they just need something capable but smaller. The 2320 should be a much more capable tractor, but for those who mainly mow, do light duty landscaping perhaps requiring a loader and snow removal a machine the size of a 2320 is likely too much and the smaller machine may suit better. While it does not seem there is much size difference, putting a current 2305 (similar size to the 1026) beside a 2320 makes the 2305 look pretty small. Sometimes that is not a good thing when working in tight or delicate environments.

John M

/ Why 1026R vs 2320? #7  
Just wondering if you've checked on the price of the 2305. I was at my local dealer the other day. They are closing out the 2305's because they are being replaced by the 1026 model. They quoted me $9,995 for just the tractor.

/ Why 1026R vs 2320? #8  
The dealer told me the 1026 is about the same size as the 2305. So which to choose would depend on your tasks. If mowing involves getting into tight space, the smaller tractor is the answer.

With an acre, and hills, you might want to consider the X700 series. Much more agile, very stable on hills. Awesome attachments. I think this is by far a better mower than anything bigger. The only reason to go bigger would be for loader performance or the use of CAT1 3PH implements. If your loader work is just moving a little mulch around, and you don't plan on digging with it then the small loader on the X700 might suit you just as well. I know the X700's don't quite satisfy the tractor itch, but after using a machine like this, I do not want to use anything bigger for mowing.

/ Why 1026R vs 2320?
...unless they just need something capable but smaller. The 2320 should be a much more capable tractor, but for those who mainly mow, do light duty landscaping perhaps requiring a loader and snow removal a machine the size of a 2320 is likely too much and the smaller machine may suit better.

This is kind of the vibe I'm getting...Smaller is definitely the 1026's strong point. I guess that's why Deere classed it as a sub-compact vs just a compact.

Just wondering if you've checked on the price of the 2305.

My dealer told me that he couldn't get any more 2305's so I just assumed that was out of the picture for me.

With an acre, and hills, you might want to consider the X700 series. Much more agile, very stable on hills. Awesome attachments. I think this is by far a better mower than anything bigger. The only reason to go bigger would be for loader performance or the use of CAT1 3PH implements.

I thought about the x700 series, but I do have lots of plans for hardscaping (digging, rock wall building, etc) and multiple uses for the 3ph. My neighbor has a 8 acres and we have plans for a large communal garden/farm so I will definitely be using this over there too.

Thanks everybody for thinking this through with me...Either way, I'm having fun shopping :thumbsup:

/ Why 1026R vs 2320? #10  
Sounds like the 2320 is your better choice, assuming it will fit into places you need to mow. Keep in mind that none of these are serious diggers. They are all too light for that. But, as an all around, good-for-alot-of-things, the 2320is a very nice little rig.

There really isn't one machine that is great at mowing and at digging/lifting. That's why I have two machines. A compact, nimble JD425AWS for mowing, snow plowing, and "yard" maintenance, and a Kioti CK25 for digging and lifting. The weight and hydraulics of the CK are superior to what Deere offers in this size for digging and ground engagement.