John Deere selection

/ John Deere selection #1  

Matt Hamby

Tractor
n/a
My father-n-law has 300 acres in Soddy Daisy, Tn. We have 60 acres of open field currently. We are looking to start using the land for Apple Trees, Christmas trees, pumpkin orchard, corn and of course our vegetables.

Now that we have the land, we need a tractor, and he wants the green one :) with that, what size should we start by looking at? Enclosed climate controlled cab is a must! He also wantsa a bucket loader, backhoe, roto-tiller and bush hog attachment. We started looking at the 5000 series tractors.

So, what would you recommend? What attachments? This is not an umlimited budget, but we only want to buy ONCE :)

thank you guys for the help. I have read numerous amounts on here, but now that he says he's ready to buy, I figured I'd post my own thread.

/ John Deere selection
that didnt take long, looks like were going to look at a 5083E :)

/ John Deere selection #3  
I own a 7510 Kubota, and a 4320 Deere. Although, I'm not familiar with the model, and you have much more than my 18 acres, I'd only buy a Deere with a USA Diesel engine.
regards,
Steve

/ John Deere selection #4  
I would look into a 5085M buy it once get everything you need for all the implements, gears choices and better hydraulics. More ergonomics in the cab too.

/ John Deere selection #5  
I own a 7510 Kubota, and a 4320 Deere. Although, I'm not familiar with the model, and you have much more than my 18 acres, I'd only buy a Deere with a USA Diesel engine.
regards,
Steve

Why a USA diesel engine? vs what? I think my John Deere 6415 was German made with a German or France built engine.

/ John Deere selection #6  
that didnt take long, looks like were going to look at a 5083E :)

Take your time.... if you're only gonna buy ONCE - compare the E and the M series. The M is alot more IRON!

Tranny options are better, hyd options are better, rear axles and housing are more substantial.

I also agree with Steve - start looking at the 85M - at least.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ John Deere selection #7  
The 5083e will do everything you want and do it well. That said, the M series still have a lot to offer and if you can swing it, you won't be sorry. I have been thinking about changing my New Holland out to an M once I get squared away with a new utility tractor. I like my power reverser, but the cat's PJ's is the 32/16 Power Shift. I have about the same amount of open space you do and the 75/85 hp tractor is just right.

/ John Deere selection #8  
When you reread the OP's post he mentions
cab with HVAC
fel
backhoe
rototiller
green

Sounds like a one piece,
Deere 110tlb with Laurin cab (painted green :D)
Kubota M59 with cab (painted Green:laughing:)my current choice for one unit

I think my combo of the 110tlb with cab and the 4520 with 681 tiller would be a good fit. This scenario just screams separate backhoe and separate tractor imo. How big each needs to be is debateable though.

I wouldn't overlook the idea of getting a separate mini excavator either new or used it would be far better than getting the 5083e or 5085M with a backhoe attachment.

For what Matt proposes a good backhoe and a tractor with tiller would be a good fit. I think the 5083e is the worst fit of everything suggested. Less hydraulics than the 110tlb, 5085M and M59tlb. External backhoe seat is not "climate controlled".

Matt starts out by mentioning the 300 acres with 60 open acres for this much open acreage a 75 to 100 hp tractor would be a good fit. I suggested the 5085M, when you consider what the proposed uses are a tlb is a better fit. A PA30 hydraulic auger attachment with the proper bit would work nicely for planting too. Kubota's similar offering would be a great choice too I am not familiar with there numbering though.

In conclusion I don't see where this is a one tractor scenario where the 5083e will work well. You would be far better off with two machines but if I only had one to choose it would be either the 110tlb or better the Kubota M 59 which is larger.

#1 pic of 110 with PA30 planetary auger
#2 pic of 110 with front forks attached
#3 pic of 110 and 4520

/ John Deere selection #9  
How much backhoe work does he have? Mini excavators are great, but one more engine to maintain. If he is going to to a lot, then it is worth it. On my farm, I dig waterlines and stumps etc periodically, but not enough for a dedicated backhoe, so I have been using a 3pt model. As I change things out, I will go to a tractor mounted removable backhoe. It's an expensive toy but super convenient when you need it. I use mine 4-5 times a year, the rest of the time it waits quietly. It would be more cost effective to rent an excavator, but too rigid for me. I like being able to hook it up when I need it. That said, if you found a cheap enough TLB it would be nice to have.

/ John Deere selection #10  
I did note the backhoe and tiller options in the OP.

The 595 backhoe attachment is a waste of time - IMHO. The hoe attachment for the 110 is a superior unit!

How often will you need to plant trees? (They're a long-term endeavor... - not something you'll do every year; at least a high number of new trees.)

I'd buy a 3pt auger or plumb the front loader to power a skid-steer type auger. The rear SCV's have continous flow and pressure compensated flow on the #1 SCV for running a hyd motor @ 18gpm and 2800psi.

Or rent...

Of course, a tiller is something that any tractor with 3pt and adequate pto horsepower will suffice.

That said; the amount of acreage to cover and the yearly work outlined - I wouldn't want to take that on with my 110TLB! Maybe the M59 with nearly 60hp...

But neither of them have a standard OEM cab.

Nope - I'd want that 75-85hp M series - with a cab and skid-steer loader with optional hydraulics.

AKfish