John deere x728 or x748

/ John deere x728 or x748
Yes I saw the video and it seems like it makes snow removal a blast and it looks like a animal.

/ John deere x728 or x748
Oh no I have a diesel but I like gas to.

/ John deere x728 or x748 #33  
It is zero degrees here most of the winter and my 455 and 4210 have never been a problem to start and gelling has never happened. No offense, but a gas tractor is usually purchased by someone who has never had a diesel.....

Do you use a block heater of sorts, or do you have heat where you keep them?

Does the fuel you buy have an additive all ready in it, and do you put an additional additive in it? Like winter blend fuel what ever that is.

Do you use any kerosene?

Just wondering here.

Rob

/ John deere x728 or x748 #34  
I myself was looking at buying the x728 or x748. When I got the prices I found that they were not much difference in price if I would jump to the 2305 utility tractor. The price were basically identical. And the 2305 is built way stronger. In the end I ended puchasing the 2320. Mind :2cents: I would get the deisel. Good luck.

/ John deere x728 or x748 #35  
I myself was looking at buying the x728 or x748. When I got the prices I found that they were not much difference in price if I would jump to the 2305 utility tractor. The price were basically identical. And the 2305 is built way stronger. In the end I ended puchasing the 2320. Mind :2cents: I would get the deisel. Good luck.

On occasion the 2320 is cheaper, two totally different tractors, without going into details, I have read where a 2320 owner got a X700 series and said it would do a lot of things better then the 2320, not cutting your tractor down, but if you read up on what owmers have to say about them you might have have went a different route.

Rob

/ John deere x728 or x748 #36  
They are both kept in my barn which is not heated. The 455 has glow plugs and the 4210 has an air intake heater, both from the factory. No block heaters. The key that I have found to winter starting is a strong battery. I run optimas is both. I use no additives as all the fuel that you buy at the pump in any northern climate is winter blend from about October through April. Basically diesel cut with kerosene. Occasionally when we empty the tanks from one of our turbine powered planes, I will run Jet-a but that is nothing more than high grade diesel.....

/ John deere x728 or x748 #37  

I wouldn't consider the 2305 or 2320 a jump up over an X748 or 749, maybe a jump sideways. I could have bought a 2305 for a couple of thousands less than the X749, but for my uses the mower was a better choice.

/ John deere x728 or x748 #38  
I own both diesel and gas. For a lawn mower and snow pusher/blower, and all around the yard, for the average home owner, I'll take the gasser. Cheaper up front. Less maintenance. Quieter. A little less fussy about the temperature. And you can get on it and go to work. For me doing snow removal I'm done and back in the barn with my gasser before the diesel even gets warm.

Yes diesels have better torque curves and use less fuel. But, I've never felt lacking for power with my little ol' 20 hp 425. Gas consumption is more than acceptable for me, using it about 50 hours per year.

The fuel injection gasser of today is pretty reliable with all grades of gasoline too. Far less sensitive when compared to carbers of old. Even so, mine is a carb. and hasn't had a problem yet. But, then I do use it year round.

Anyone other than a commercial user that is buying diesel because it's believed to be more economical just hasn't honestly done the calculations. Diesels in this size are about $1000 more up front. Fuel cost more. Parts cost more. More parts to maintain. Time value of money. etc. While it's hard to put a price tag on the parts/maintenance costs. I think you are close to a wash cost wise, and that doesn't really happen until after 10 years or longer of diesel ownership. Only then does the diesel start to save you anything.

The situation where the diesel is attractive is for the commercial guy that puts hundreds of hours per year on the machine and needs to cut as long as they can between fillings. Here, in addition to the longevity of diesel, fuel costs start to add up. And the torque might save you a little time on snow blowing type chores.

The real reason for wanting a diesel -machoism. And that's reason enough anyway!

/ John deere x728 or x748 #39  
   / John deere x728 or x748 #40  
Rob, you better be careful, Brett will get p**ed:laughing: