John deere x728 or x748

/ John deere x728 or x748 #1  

Johndeerex728

Silver Member
Tractor
John deaf x728
Which one is better for snow removal and why?

/ John deere x728 or x748
I have a resdintal cleaing service and I am debating if I should trade my x520 for a x728 or a x748 John Deere tractor.

Which one would handle better in snow a x728 or a x748 because for the work it does all I would need is a gas plus I would put a hard sided cab on it and that would add about 100lbs to him.

/ John deere x728 or x748 #4  
MSRP for the 728 with a 48" or 54" mowing deck is $11,669.00 and $12,749.00 for the 748 equipped the same. Now if I was looking at initial cost I would buy the 728. If I was looking at overall cost I would buy the 748. Diesel engine equipped machinery works better in what you stated your intended use is commercial. More bang, time running per gallon of diesel than gas. Gas engine when run at a constant RPM under load consume a lot of fuel per hour and can reduce the profit margin quickly. Diesel engine tolerates running under load without consuming that much fuel. So the question you have to answer is what do you want to do, pay now or pay later since both unit are the same size and will handle equally in snow.

Well what I was wanting to do is trade in my John Deere x520 with a 54 inch mower deck, 44 inch snowblower and a 48 inch plow and was wanting to make at least $7,500 and then buying the buying the x728 with a 54 inch deck Nd 47 snowblower and only have to pay out of pocket 4,000 the most and pay up front then later on buy a hard side cab for it befor next winter and still have to research if the height of it will fit in my garage.n

/ John deere x728 or x748 #6  
They will peform the same in snow, with the diesel using less fuel. Generally, the diesel is the better choice for contractors due to hours of use. But, if you don't expect high hours, the gas has the advantage that you dont' have to wait a long time for it to warm up, and they are much quieter. Warmup time on the diesel can be compensated for to some degree with a block heater.

The diesel will also probably run a snow blower better in really heavy, deep snow.

You'd probably also get close to the price difference back when you decide to sell in the future.

Yeah I had some dealers contact and x728 would be fine because all I am using it for is my house 20 driveways because I have a residential snow removal service and it will also clean from my driveway to the entrance of my street since my road does not get plowed until after day after the storm and will only mow about 3 acres and I know the machine is rated for 7 acres so it should all work out well.

/ John deere x728 or x748 #8  
I owned the X585 gas (X728) for 7 years and upgraded to the X748 diesel last year. Trust me you really want the diesel for power and fuel consumption, I'll never go back to a gas tractor. :thumbsup:

/ John deere x728 or x748 #9  
I would not own another gas tractor. I had a 425 that sucked fuel and had no torque to throw the snow. I bought a 455, same tractor with a diesel, and there is no comparison. It uses 1/2 the fuel and is animal with the 47" snow blower. Spend the extra for the diesel.

It seems that I should buy the x748 instead but i got prices on it and the x728 is a lot less money.