Will 5 hp more matter ?

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #1  

castiman

Silver Member
Tractor
jd 2520,jd x530
Getting ready to order a 2520, now I'm just trying to convince myself on whether or not on getting the 2720. I'm trading my 2305 for my own reasons, alot to do with the tranny fan and overall size of the tractor,don't get me wrong it has been a good, problem free tractor. My question is, for 1700.00 more is the extra 5 hp going to be noticed. I'm mainly going to mow, blow or push snow, some loader work, I have no intentions on using the rear pto for any ground engaging implement other than using the 3 point hitch for maybe a box blade or york rake. I'm also putting a hardsided curtis cab on. The 2720 I understand is the same size tractor other than 5hp more. I've read on this forum the issues on mowing in high on hills, just wondering if the extra hp will have ant affect on this. Two different dealers haven't been able to answer this question for me. Appreciate any help with this,Thanks.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #2  
My first quetion would have to do with why the trade??

A 2x20 series is not that much of a jump over what you have. And you take a BIG hit trading in. If possible I would be looking to the 3 series. But that is a whole can of worms itself.

To answer your question...you will really only notice the power when using the PTO. Like mowing, bushhogging, tilling, etc.

You really wont notice much difference when doing ground engaging stuff like FEL work, blading, etc. Because you will loose traction long before power.

And for what it's worth, since the PTO is where you will notice the difference, it is only 3 HP difference there. 20.5 vs 23.5

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #3  
Where you utilize the pto frequently is where the higher hp 2720 shines. So if you need to mow steep terrain the extra power can be a plus. Running a tiller it can work faster. Snowblowing in heavy snow won't bog the engine near as much as the 2520. Pulling a trailer is faster with the 2720 too, so whether it is a good idea to buy the extra power is debateable. If I bought a 2x20 series tractor I would prefer the 2720 with more power available if needed. It won't pull much harder but will pull the same load at a lot faster ground speed.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ?
My first quetion would have to do with why the trade??

A 2x20 series is not that much of a jump over what you have. And you take a BIG hit trading in. If possible I would be looking to the 3 series. But that is a whole can of worms itself.

To answer your question...you will really only notice the power when using the PTO. Like mowing, bushhogging, tilling, etc.

You really wont notice much difference when doing ground engaging stuff like FEL work, blading, etc. Because you will loose traction long before power.

And for what it's worth, since the PTO is where you will notice the difference, it is only 3 HP difference there. 20.5 vs 23.5

I'm basically trading up for the difference in tractor size,( tire size, weight, ground clearance, more hp, and I believe torque. Also to get away from the tranny fan. I have a fan guard but that does nothing to help over heating, that knock on wood hasn't happened to me, but you can tell when it time to give a rest. Fan vs. oil cooler. Kinda like riding my harley until installing an oil cooler. I can't consider the 3 series for roof clearance issues getting it into my garage with a curtis cab. I know build a bigger garage, maybe some day that will be another story. Your right with it only being 3 hp , forgot about the difference on the pto, however will that have any affect with moving the tractor while mowing on hilly areas,not to blog it down in high gear like say traveling up a steady incline thats 500 feet long. I can mow that with my 2305 in high gear which I believe is around 8mph. Not to fast for my lawn. With the difference with overall figures from what my tractor was and the new 2520 is apples to apples I figure it costed me 750.00 a year to drive getting the 2520 and 1175.00 for the 2720.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #5  
Take a look at CTOA, the same question was asked. The suggested HP is 10 or more Hp than you think you need.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #6  
Go for more hp. :)

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #7  
Most HP you can afford, especially for snowblowing and uphill mowing.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #8  
2320 and 2520 currently have $1000 back form JD, 2720 is only $200, if you purchase 2 implements, 2720 was about $1500 list price more than 2520

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #9  
I just ordered a 2520 and got the $1,000 discount for buying 2 implements (62D mmm and FEL). I paid $18,300 + $800 shipping, but no sales tax.

/ Will 5 hp more matter ? #10  
I agree with the concept of buying as many ponies as you can afford. If the 2720 would have been available when I bought my 2520, I'd have gone for it.

Your decision might also be influencend by how big of a mower you plan on using. I'm running a 72" RFM and 60" rotary cutter on my 2520 and these attachments are pushing the envelope for the horsepower available. For these attachments, I would LOVE to have 3 more HP.

On the other hand, if just mowing with a 62D, you might not even notice the difference.