Price Check 4300 HST / Price Quote / Am I getting Ripped Off?

/ 4300 HST / Price Quote / Am I getting Ripped Off? #1  

JasonMac

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720 Cab Tractor
I was out today trying to dicker with prices. I have dealt with this dealership for 14years now. (JD 855 was my first purchase in 86' 2nd purchase was a JD 4200HST purchased in1999) So he is known to be the biggest and most prominent New Hampshire dealer. (NO SALES TAX IN NH) And the price I keep getting on a 4300 / HST / 430 Loader / Calcium Loaded Turf Tires / Folding Rops / and #272 Rear Finish Mower.... $26,500 !!!!! (Oh! And that price includes me keeping my 73" HeavyDuty Bucket from my 4200. I have nice welded on hooks on my 73" HD bucket and that is why I want to keep that... Now, I told him that was High, he got the owner out, and they are telling me that they add "SETUP COST" on top of the list price. And that is why they are wanting $26,500 for the tractor. I called a smaller New Hampshire Dealer and he gave me a price of $22,000 total for the same machine with #272 rear mower deck. I showed the big dealer my quotes and he went thru the roof and still wouldn't come down on price. And the owner at the bigger dealership acted all mad at the other dealer, like he was breaking the Brotherhood Code of Dealing John Deere Tractors. (or made him out to be like he deals grey-black market tractors) And the bigger Dealer kept giving me the line about getting it serviced at the other dealership? I have talked to a few other people who are very happy with the smaller dealership in service. And the other smaller dealer is fully authorized. And the Big dealer only wanted to give me $17,000 for trade in value on my previous 4200 HST / 420 Loader / 72" Belly Mower / Loaded Turf Tires / New Axle / 300 hours. It is in great shape, but just wanted to upgrade to a little bigger machine,(not satisfied with HP on 4200 HST) and no longer wanted to have the belly mower.. I want more clearance under the machine. What should I be getting for a deal here in New Hampshire for the 4300 Hydro Package I want? And is this setup charge on top of list price a bunch of Bull or what?????

/ 4300 HST / Price Quote / Am I getting Ripped Off? #2  
Jason,
This price sounds very high! None of the dealers here in Alabama that I have dealt with have a setup charge, at least not in addition to the tractor price. I'm sure they have some setup charge include in the price. I did not pay this much for a JD5210, 521 FEL, MX6 rotary cutter, and grader blade. I would check with other dealers.

/ 4300 HST / Price Quote / Am I getting Ripped Off?
Re: 4300 HST / Price Quote / Am I getting Ripped O

Now tell me if this sounds High. This is the price I paid for my tractor a year and a half ago. JD 4200 HST (4wd) with Turf Tires $17,600 / JD 420 Loader w/73" Heavy Duty Bucket $3,175 JD 72" Mid-Mount Side Discharge Mower $3,625 / Cost of Calcium Loaded Rear Tires $250 / The total came to $24,650.00 / And now the machine has a new front axle. I wanted to trade it towards and upgrade JD 4300 HST / 430 Loader / #272 Rear 3pt Hitch Mower Deck / Loaded Rear Turf Tires. (They will only give me $17,100 on my current 4200 HST) (only 300hours) (still shiny and new looking all thru & thru) needless to say the 4300 HST Price they are giving me is very high $26,500.00 (which is close to robbery I think) They have always been descent on the little service I needed. But I still don't think it justifies the $6,000+ over what everybody else around the country seems to be paying. I mean this is New Hampshire, Not Hawaii, where the tractor would be harder to get??

/ 4300 HST / Price Quote / Am I getting Ripped Off? #4  
JasonMac,
I would think the dealer could sharpen his pencil somewhat more,thats if he wants to keep a good costumer./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Ahhh that good old "No sale tax in NH" pitch. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
When I was searching for a tractor not one of the dealerships ever try that line,for thats kinda of cheap way to sell item.
Also if you purchase a tractor in VT and they are willing to dealer to NH there no sales tax from VT.

SETUP COST /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gifgeeze what other surprise haven't you been inform of???
What is the name of the dealership that your reffering to??

Not sure what part of NH where you live or how far are you willing to travel,but there couple of JD dearlership in my area you might want to check out.
1. Hawkensen
Rte 25
P.O. Drawer 766
Plymouth,NH 03264
(603)536-2433
2. Blackmount Equipment
Rte 10
Haverhill,NH
(603)787-6311
3. Trottier L.F.& Sons
Dairy Hill
South Royalton,VT
(802)763-8082

If there any other information I can help with let me know.

Take care stay safe.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ 4300 HST / Price Quote / Am I getting Ripped Off? #5  

I bought my JD 4300 in March 2000. As memory serves me, I paid $18,780 for the JD4300 HST 4WD / canopy / JD430 front end loader with standard bucket / foldable ROPS / R4 tires / and JD513 5' rotary cutter + 5.5% sales tax for a total of $19,611. I had my choice of R4s or Turf tires at that price and $150 to load them. He wanted $1795 for JD260 finish mower if I bought it as part of the package. Again, as memory serves me, the JD272 finish mower was about $2,000. If you are going to use it commercially, you do not have to pay sales tax here and I really don't know what your tax situation would be since you live out of state. He did say prices were going up some but $6,000 seems a little steep. I don't see much difference in you ordering one and having it delivered and me buying one that I had never seen and waiting for it to be delivered from the assembly plant. I did get to inspect it before I wrote the check so that might make a difference. The dealer is Turner Equipment in Shawnee, OK, (405)275-0445. There is a dealer that gave me the same price except he lived in an area with 8% sales tax that has a web site riversidetractorjd.com or riversidetractorsjd.com. A totally unrelated item of interest: Riverside Tractor is about 2 miles from the stadium Oklahoma and Nebraska will be playing in Saturday.

/ 4300 HST / Price Quote / Am I getting Ripped Off?

The Dealership I have dealt with for about 14 years is (James R. Rosencrantz & Sons) they are located in Kensington & Londonderry New Hampshire. He made it out like ( I don't know where the hell Shaw's Ridge equipment gets off selling them so cheap, it is killing me) They must have a different list price book than I have!! (Sarcasticly) And the salesman George was telling me there is the added Setup cost because they assemble the tractors and implements from shipping crates) and the guys out back need to get paid somehow. I was thinking to myself? My family owns an outdoor sporting Goods business, and we have employees too along with all the other overhead, we always sell below Suggested list price, not full list price of course. But the game I play in my business is sell cheap & turn product over and pay your bills and employees with the margin you are getting above your cost. Simple? Right? I could never add setup cost to a product I sell, having the products already set up is what makes them sell weather it be Fishing Rods or Guns or any equipment. The more you sell the more you can afford to pay your help for setting them up? I don't pay setup cost when I buy a car, the factory employees wages are already figured in, unless of course I was going have the car modified, but cars and tractors are a little different... I just don't get it, how is he selling his equipment? considering his Compact Utility Tractor Prices are about $6,000 more than everybody else. It's one thing to be a "little" higher on price $1000.00 to $1500.00 difference and offer unmatched service and have "always on hand" inventory for that service. But $6+K is pretty damn steep. And like I said before, this is New Hampshire it's easy to deliver tractors out here from the factories. We even have interstate Highways out here too!!! (LOL) It's not like we are off the beaten path like Siberia or Hawaii.... (Oh, the dealer that gave me the better Phone quote was Shaw's Ridge Equipment, Dover NH, and they have a larger location out of Sanford Maine.. Just my thoughts..sorry to drag on this issue... it is just that I went round and round with the owner and he got so upset, like I wasn't supposed to ever look at other dealers, because he has always treated me right on previous service. Oh well... I still want to hear other peoples thoughts though... thanks for all your help everyone... I appreciate it !!!!

/ 4300 HST / Price Quote / Am I getting Ripped Off? #7  

JasonMac, every new vehicle I have ever bought had a 'Dealer Prep' charge added into the price. What is dealer prep besides setup? They are just cleaning the vehicle and checking all fluid levels, etc, prior to releasing it to the buyer.

/ 4300 HST / Price Quote / Am I getting Ripped Off? #8  

JasonMac, since you are in business for yourself it may be important to remember that the local equipment dealer may spread it around that you didn't buy local. Of course if this does not apply then by all means purchase a nice new 40 foot gooseneck trailer with the money you saved at the other dealer and just casually mention to the first dealer that you needed such a big trailer for all the implements you have been buying from the other dealer.